Author Topic: New Proposal for Arts hub in Downtown/Springfield  (Read 32452 times)

Bill Hoff

New Proposal for Arts hub in Downtown/Springfield
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
Existing arts non-profits joining forces to open an arts & cultural hub in the city-owned historic Armory building.

This sounds promising:
http://myspringfield.org/people-places/the-artery-at-the-armory

CityLife

Re: New Proposal for Arts hub in Downtown/Springfield
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
IF the city is going to practically give the space away, this is the type of thing it should be for. Very cool.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:29:24 AM »
Hope this works out.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
Have the Sons of Confederacy abandoned their plans for this structure?  Whatever happened to the ordinance that Kim Daniels sponsored? Because of the surrounding sprawly context, it most likely would not have the same impact as the Torpedo Factory in Virginia but it's an interesting proposal to consider.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

icarus

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:32:30 AM »
The fact that their own promo video cites the ability to complete the repairs in "phases" leaves me concerned about their ability to execute.

It sounds like a great idea but if they can't get the $$ together for the necessary repairs, is their proposal really better than a group that can?

Again, good idea to consider.

Stephen

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »
BRAVO !

Bill Hoff

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
icarus,

There's no proposal on the table that would have the cash to complete all the work at once. COJ estimated millions in needed repairs for building.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
From looking at the DIA/Downtown CRA plan website, it seems some coordination is needed...

What could the DIA do to help establish a formal Arts District along the Laura Street Corridor (see attached map)?

The City has invested money in recent years to beautiful the streetscape along Laura Street. Hemming Plaza and the Jacksonville Landing, ground zero for large special events anchor the corridor. MOCA and the T-U Performing Arts Center are tremendous cultural centers located on each end of the corridor. The Spark District is being promoted west of the corridor. What specific investments and initiatives can the DIA pursue that would help solidify this area as Downtown's Arts District and compliment the Spark District?

link: http://imaginedtjax.mindmixer.com/promoting-the-arts
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

GoldenEst82

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
I met, and had a conversation with, one of the guys behind this.

The idea (and why they need such a large space) is because they want to house some of the larger equipment artists need. (Large printing machines, kilns, stuff like that) When you are in a privately owned building, that is being rented to the artists while it is on the market- you cannot move in and install large machines, because if the building sells you have to move them.
Moving a several ton printing press is no joke, and in some cases I can imagine the installation of VERY large machines, coinciding with certain renovations so they can actually get those machines inside.
This is why they want a COJ owned building, and such a large one.

Also, who better to put in labor, but the artists? Crafts-people?
As an example- My (basically) Father in Law, is a metal sculptor- formerly a master fabricator- he could do ANYTHING that that building needed that was related to metalwork. Structural or decorative.
I think the artists are the best shot for this building to be saved.
It is better to travel well, than to arrive. - The Buddah
Follow me on Instagram!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
Is this proposal essentially what CoRK and the warehouses surrounding it have been turning into?

GoldenEst82

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »
I am not sure.
I don't know if CoRK is meant to be as "permanent" as what these guys are trying to build.

The Gentleman I spoke to used the example of a person who went to art school for something like screen printing.
Where would someone go to practice their craft?
They would have to own their own machines, and keep them somewhere.
The idea behind this space is to have a place where someone who doesn't own their own equipment could come and have access.
It is better to travel well, than to arrive. - The Buddah
Follow me on Instagram!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
Thanks, I get it. So something like Jax Hax (http://blarg.jaxhax.org/) in the old Union Terminal Warehouse near Old City Cemetery, CoRK and King Street Studios all rolled up into one.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »
I like this idea so much better than a war museum, no matter who runs it. It could jumpstart Springfield as another arts hub in the City.  Maybe jump start what could be very cool lofts, etc. in the warehouse district, just 10 blocks north.  LOVE IT.  Let's support it 110%.  Let's see what we can do to help.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
I have my doubts that there's enough readily available building fabric in place to jump start a bonefide arts hub/district outside of this particular site.  It certainly wouldn't spill over to the warehouse district on 14th Street. This doesn't mean this isn't a good use for the site but we should temper our expectations, given the context and that fact that complementing facilities are somewhat scattered across the urban core.

Nevertheless, there's an opportunity to utilize this site as an destination anchor for the Hogans Creek Greenway.  The idea also strengthens the thought of right sizing Liberty Street to include a separated cycle track connecting the greenway to the riverwalk.

icarus

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
I think I'm going to have to agree with Lakelander on this one.  The Armory is such a large space that its hard for me to believe that it would have much spill over effect. Plus, its location at State and Market isn't exactly the most pedestrian friendly.

I do have issue with the fact that the City operated the Parks Department out of the building until 2010 and yet made no real effort to remediate the decay or to address the deferred maintenance issues.

Also, I would like to see someone clean up the haphazard parking lot and restore some greenspace along the creek similar to what is between Newnan and Market street (every little bit of green helps).