Author Topic: A Look At Brooklyn's Proposed Unity Plaza  (Read 15041 times)

BNewton

Re: A Look At Brooklyn's Proposed Unity Plaza
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
I'm very excited to see this and other Brooklyn projects come final!  I really love the "band shell" idea and the bike sharing.  The bike share will allow visitors to the city as well as folks from all around Jacksonville a convenient way to explore the area.  I say well done.

tufsu1

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »
So they have to wait until next month? What's the impact on the construction process or project completion date? Time is money. Especially, if they are already in a rush to be available for an event by a certain date.

I was at the meeting...Hallmark folks were not pleased to put it mildly....this was a "mistake" on the part of COJ that the DDRB couldn't ignore...so yes, there will be a special meeting next week to finalize

hightowerlover

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 11:29:20 PM »
Are any other locations on board for the bike sharing. I love the concept but it only really works when you have multiple sites to pickup / drop off.  I could see this working if they sign five points, the landing, main library, mosh, San Marco, bay st, the stadium, etc.  Gives visitors the exposure you can't get by a car.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
Yes, if bike share is determined feasible, there would be multiple urban core bike station sites.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »
Unity Plaza will create new vibe for Brooklyn

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=540977

Wednesday, November 6, 11:10 AM EST

By Carole Hawkins, Contributing Writer

An outdoor amphitheater and entertainment hub under construction in Jacksonville's Brooklyn neighborhood goes way beyond what's normally expected of an amenity for an apartment-retail complex.
But the purpose behind Unity Plaza, being built next to a new mixed-use development at 220 Riverside goes way beyond selling apartments. 

Jacksonville native Alex Coley, a principal at Hallmark Partners and the site's developer, calls Unity Plaza a community service project disguised as a real estate deal. 

"I believe real estate in the new millennium will be one of conscious capitalism, where you will do well by doing good," he said.

When finished, the private nonprofit urban park will feature an amphitheater that seats 2,000 and an amenity deck the size of a football field.

It will host events 260 days a year.

Hallmark Partners donated 2.5 acres from its 11-acre site for Unity Plaza and plans to fund the nonprofit entity from a portion of its retail rents.

And the city is paying for the new park? And will then upon completion the city will give the non profit $700,000 plus to operate the park?

tufsu1

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »
I don't think that's quite how it will work

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »
I think Noone may be confusing Unity Plaza with Hemming. The Hemming group wants that type of cash upfront to operate it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Scrub Palmetto

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
Yes, if bike share is determined feasible, there would be multiple urban core bike station sites.

I, too, am a little confused by the single bike share station. Surely that won't be how feasibility is determined, right? By putting up one station and seeing how it does?

Noone

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

Please share how will it work. Notice the question marks.

duvaldude08

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »

Please share how will it work. Notice the question marks.

The money to operate Unity Plaza will be coming for the residents living at 220 Riverside.
Jaguars 2.0

Noone

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
^The city is spending $2,000,000 for the park? Then what triggers a $700,000 plus additional city payback to the developer? Wanting to understand the numbers better. Thats all.

duvaldude08

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »
^The city is spending $2,000,000 for the park? Then what triggers a $700,000 plus additional city payback to the developer? Wanting to understand the numbers better. Thats all.

The $700,000 you are referring to is for HEMMING plaza, not Unity Plaza.
Jaguars 2.0

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 04:07:08 PM »

I, too, am a little confused by the single bike share station. Surely that won't be how feasibility is determined, right? By putting up one station and seeing how it does?

Unity Plaza just wants to be one of the sites that would have a bike share station.  I suspect, their station would be no different from those at other destinations T.B.D. throughout the urban core.

Kay

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »

Not true.  The City also is giving Unity Plaza $750,000 to maintain it.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »

Not true.  The City also is giving Unity Plaza $750,000 to maintain it.

To expand, that is a one time payment.  Additional programming/maintenance monies for Unity Plaza will come from a non-profit organization which will be funded from monies that commercial tenants of 200 will contribute to as part of their rent.