Author Topic: Bicyclist killed near Gainesville  (Read 2822 times)

Driven1

Bicyclist killed near Gainesville
« on: April 09, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
A 20-year-old bicyclist was killed Tuesday afternoon while riding on the Hawthorne Bicycle Trail east of Gainesville, the Florida Highway Patrol reported.

Carmen Peterson of Gainesville, who was heading west on the trail, attempted to cross County Road 325 about 4:55 p.m., the Highway Patrol said.

The bicycle was struck by a northbound van driven by 55-year-old Charles Skeen of Interlachen, the report said.

Peterson, who was wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene.

you should go to the link and read the first poster's comments on the t-u comment boards -- it is idiots like that (the "us" vs. "them" mentality) that is responsible for most of the deaths of cyclists...
http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/2008/04/09/bicyclists-killed-near-gainesville/

Driven1

Re: Bicyclist killed near Gainesville
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »
my favorite comment so far...  "If they want to be out on the road where the cars are they need to either learn how to peddle faster and keep up with the traffic or do as everyone else and drive a car!"

jbm32206

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »
What an ignorant comment for anyone to have said...damn, they were even wearing a helmet! There's  also a law that vehicles are to give bicyclists a 3 foot space

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
One interesting thing from the comments:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4</a>

stephenc

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
One interesting thing from the comments:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4</a>

WTF!?!?!

second_pancake

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
Ok, I tried to read this yesterday but the site was having some problems.  I now wish the site was still having problems and I had never read this because I'm so angry I could scream!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ready to have a Critical Mass...Pancake style.  No, not in the middle of downtown where hardly any of our precious Jacksonville driver's live.  I want to have it in the middle of freakin Southside where the people aren't used to dealing with cyclists and where the city has put in many bike lanes over the past 10 years.  I want to show the people what inconveinence is.  As my husband said to a driver who whipped around him passing him in the onramp lane to I-95 on Baymeadows less than 100 feet from a red light nearly hitting him, "PUT DOWN THE HERSHEY BAR YOU FAT F%^$ AND GET ON A BIKE!!"  Btw, the wonderful 'driver' tried to squeal away when the light turned green and killed his engine. Justice.

We can talk about the problems with the 'them vs. they' mentality all day long but the facts are, most if not ALL cyclists are also drivers, but few if any of these drivers ride a freakin bike.  How can anyone who hasn't experienced what it's like to ride a bike as transportation or even flippin recreation try and tell me what I should and should not be doing!  I could quote every section of the FL law regarding cyclists, but they wouldn't understand because they obviously have never seen or heard of it and don't seem to even care.

I've been hit by a car.  My husband has been hit by a car.  Last week a freakin JTA bus rode the bike lane 300 yards before he had to stop and nearly killed my husband and when he called to tell me to report it, the lady on the line wouldn't file the complaint until my husband called...who was still on his freakin bike.  I asked how this would get filed if the bus driver had actually HIT him and she just laughed and said, "well, he didn't." 

You know, a certain person on this forum once accused me of being a car-hater to which I responded that while I don't hate drivers or cars, I think the world and our society in general would be better off if everyone rode a bike.  That ideal still stands with me, but to say, after reading these LOCAL people's comments that I haven't increased my dislike for the average American driver, would be a severe understatement.

To use one lady's words, if you "can't see a cyclist while driving down the road at 55 mph", your eyes aren't on the road and you shouldn't be on it either!
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

Driven1

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:56 AM »
yeah - i had this soccer mom stop one time and try to yell "get off the road" as she was taking little Sarah to school in the morning -- that day i was running, not biking, along a large shoulder...she actually slowed long enough so that we could have an enchanting screaming match...she didn't care that i paid taxes like her - in her mind, roads were ONLY for gasoline vehicles...

btw, why run on the pavement and not the concrete sideWALK?  that is a legitimate question that i think a lot of people may have.  the answer is that when running long distances consistently, concrete gives much less than pavement asphalt (has rubber in it) and so the asphalt is much better for your knees.

incidentally, in my run yesterday, along that same stretch, i had a van of white trash veer over towards me purposely.  i would really love for these cowards to one day actually stop.  i would then officially have a criminal record though, so i guess it is a good thing they don't.

second_pancake

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
I'm dead serious about the Critical Mass thing.  And we need to seriously push cycling activism so that it's publicized in papers and is out in people's faces, like at bookstores, gas-stations, where ever.  People NEED to know the law.  I'm tired of the ignorance.

I had an insurance adjustor make a comment (when i was hit by a car) about my riding in the road and not on the sidewalk, asking me, "isn't it illegal to be riding in the road."  I had to inform her, 1)  She should know traffic laws being an auto-insurance adjustor, and 2)  it is illegal to ride on the SIDEWALK, not the road.

Btw, my husband was hit while running too.  Thing is, he wasn't even in the road, he was in the grass in a residential neighborhood where the speed limit is 25.  The person hit him with their mirror and didn't slow down, stop or even look back.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 11:29:47 AM »
When I was in Gainesville, I only lived 2 miles from school - which is a perfect biking distance.

However, I almost NEVER biked, becase the main roadways are far too dangerous. The bike paths were actually fine, but you literally risked your life every time you crossed a major street. I'm not even slightly exaggerating. The drivers are very reckless and they don't ever stop to turn right. I was almost run over (i.e. car slamming on breaks to stop) 3 times, and I basically gave up on biking in Gville

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »
Driver Awareness Ads On JTA Buses

Drivers who find themselves stuck behind JTA buses in Jacksonville may just learn a something about bike safety for the next 10 weeks. North Florida Bike Club (NFBC) has placed signs on 10 buses to create awareness for the Three-Foot Law. Miriam Gallet of NFBC tells me that FDOT will most likely continue the ads for up to a year after the NFBC 10 weeks expire.

http://bikejax.blogspot.com/2008/03/driver-awareness-ads-on-jta-buses.html

second_pancake

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:03:05 PM »
Driver Awareness Ads On JTA Buses

Drivers who find themselves stuck behind JTA buses in Jacksonville may just learn a something about bike safety for the next 10 weeks. North Florida Bike Club (NFBC) has placed signs on 10 buses to create awareness for the Three-Foot Law. Miriam Gallet of NFBC tells me that FDOT will most likely continue the ads for up to a year after the NFBC 10 weeks expire.

http://bikejax.blogspot.com/2008/03/driver-awareness-ads-on-jta-buses.html

JTA needs to put their bus drivers through a bike safety and driver awareness course as their drivers are some of the worst offenders of near-miss accidents with cyclists. Don't believe me?  Try riding bridge repeats on the Acosta bridge on Thursday nights.  I swear it feels like they're aiming for me sometimes.