Author Topic: Al Gore Updates the Accelerating Climate Crisis, Makes Call to save the World.  (Read 18360 times)

RiversideGator

I believe I understand the rightwings argument now,
Risings water levels- we grow gills like in waterworld or have floaties like babies.
Famines- invest in guns and eat human flesh.
Plants,forests dying- We just eat human flesh and build buildings out human bones.
Weather turning cold because of shifting water currents - we eat human flesh, have our toes and fingers fall off because of frostbite.
Cities under water- Eat human flesh and grow gills
I think these guys have it all worked out.

Why do I always feel like I am reading a dirty T-shirt when looking at your posts?

I can almost smell the faint odor of marijuana even.   :D

RiversideGator

Yes, Stephen is one of the anointed ones who will lead us morons out of the wilderness of our ignorance.  Thank you for your selfless leadership on this issue.  Now, get out there and make some money in the "green economy" like Al Gore did!

Driven1

I grew up at Jax Beach.  I went to Fletcher.  My grandmother still lives in the house that she and my papa bought the month I was born.   I have family all over this town and I keep my dad's beach house in working order as well.

So many mornings spent watching the sun rise out in the dunes of Ponte Vedra before all of the development.

The sea silvery and gold and the mist rolling over the pink tinted shells of the south end.

I would hate like hell to lose all of the places where I was a kid.  But I already think that by the time I am an old guy, they probably wont be there anymore.

ROFL...

second_pancake

To keep from ranting as I have on other certain posts, I am simply going to offer a suggestion to the issue.  Rather than continually trying to beat reason, logic, environmental and self-interest into the closed minds of the objectors, those of us who give a damn need to just do what has been done to us:  Trick them.

That's right.  We need to secretly replace all the PET plastics with corn-based or sugar based products thus releasing us of our dependence on oil and reducing the residual pollutants into our environment; start converting all of our new-production car engines to be bio-diesel compatible and supplying the servicing stations with only that type of fuel; making the streets less and less automobile friendly by reducing the width of the lanes a few inches every 200 yards (and making the bike lanes larger) or so until they completely disappear and you have no other choice but to get out of your car and, God forbid ~gulp~, WALK; start promoting cycling shops through loud, nationally televised commercials screaming at us to buy the next big thing in cycling...it wouldn't hurt to throw some sexual images in there too; and adding recylcing bins next to each and every trash can in our city.  Before you know it, it will all just be a way of life and no one will be the wiser. 

For those that may be confused, no, I am not being sarcastic.  I am dead serious.  Not a day goes by that I don't look around me and feel completely duped.  When did it become acceptable to drive a mile down the road to get coffee through a drive-through?  When did it become ok to use a non-biodegradeable plastic bag for EVERY purchase we make (I actually had someone at Publix try and push one off on me when I bought a pack of gum...a freakin pack of gum and I need a bag????)?  How the hell did we buy our vegetables and produce before styrofoam and cellophane?  NATURALLY, that's how!  All of these things that we use now and completely take for granted as just a part of everyday life were all introduced slowly and gradually until they became the norm.  We are constantly being inundated with new products in sleek new packaging being marketed to us as conveinient and "disposable."  Disposable does NOT mean it biodegrades and becomes part of the soil again.  It simply means it's no longer in your plain sight.

I know I said I wasn't going to rant.  I'll just end this with one of my favorite quotes (you may have seen this one on your Starbuck's coffee cup as you drove a mile down the road and sat with your car idling for 15 minutes while you waited in the drive-through):

So-called “global warming” is just

a secret ploy by wacko tree-

huggers to make America energy

independent, clean our air and

water, improve the fuel efficiency

of our vehicles, kick-start

21st-century industries, and make

our cities safer and more livable.

Don’t let them get away with it!

– Chip Giller
Founder of Grist.org
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:29:28 AM by second_pancake »
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

RiversideGator

To keep from ranting as I have on other certain posts, I am simply going to offer a suggestion to the issue.  Rather than continually trying to beat reason, logic, environmental and self-interest into the closed minds of the objectors, those of us who give a damn need to just do what has been done to us: 

Introducing logic and reason into the thinking of lefties would certainly be a change.

Trick them.

That's right.  We need to secretly replace all the PET plastics with corn-based or sugar based products thus releasing us of our dependence on oil and reducing the residual pollutants into our environment; start converting all of our new-production car engines to be bio-diesel compatible and supplying the servicing stations with only that type of fuel; making the streets less and less automobile friendly by reducing the width of the lanes a few inches every 200 yards (and making the bike lanes larger) or so until they completely disappear and you have no other choice but to get out of your car and, God forbid ~gulp~, WALK; start promoting cycling shops through loud, nationally televised commercials screaming at us to buy the next big thing in cycling...it wouldn't hurt to throw some sexual images in there too; and adding recylcing bins next to each and every trash can in our city.  Before you know it, it will all just be a way of life and no one will be the wiser. 

For those that may be confused, no, I am not being sarcastic.  I am dead serious.  Not a day goes by that I don't look around me and feel completely duped.  When did it become acceptable to drive a mile down the road to get coffee through a drive-through? 

Try moving to a traditional neighborhood.  You can operate completely without a motor vehicle in Riverside-Avondale.  It is a nice option for me, but not one I want to force on others.  And, why does an environmentally conscious person like you choose to live in the suburbs?  Shame on you!

So-called “global warming” is just

a secret ploy by wacko tree-

huggers to make America energy

independent, clean our air and

water, improve the fuel efficiency

of our vehicles, kick-start

21st-century industries, and make

our cities safer and more livable.

Don’t let them get away with it!

– Chip Giller
Founder of Grist.org

At least they are now admitting what we have known all along - the fraudulent global warming hysteria is a stalking horse for the environmental movement.

Driven1

Most of the projects that metrojacksonville has championed have actually been greener solutions to what is currently being planned.

Just to clarify...

True, MetroJacksonville has championed certain causes, but the primary factor behind these causes has NOT been because they are "greener solutions".  While it may have been an ancillary reason in some cases, it has not been the driving force for any proposals.

second_pancake

Introducing logic and reason into the thinking of lefties would certainly be a change.

This is precisely what I'm talking about.  I am not a "lefty".  All people who believe in a cleaner, safer, better world are not "lefties."  I disagree more with the left wing agenda than I do with the right-wing, but because there happens to be one commonality, we're all "lefties."  Closed.  Zipped.  Locked, RG.

Try moving to a traditional neighborhood.  You can operate completely without a motor vehicle in Riverside-Avondale.  It is a nice option for me, but not one I want to force on others.  And, why does an environmentally conscious person like you choose to live in the suburbs?  Shame on you!

I did not choose to live where I live, my life chose it for me (namely my husband and the kids).  We are trying to move back to Riverside (where I lived on my own).  Moving would solve a lot of the transportation issues, but would not remove one from everything else I listed in my post.  There is still a Publix there pushing plastic bags like it's the next new drug, there are still people driving around in gas-guzzling SUVs just to get a coffee less than a mile from where they live (you'll see this A LOT in Avondale), and I've had more people honk at me while on a bike ride trying to tell me to "get off the road" than I have ever had out here in Southside.  My theory is the more money a person has to spend on things that are deemed to save time or energy, the more entitled they feel to that lifestyle and the more they condemn others for not living up to it.  Thus, again, the only way to make the world better is not through reason and logic but through trickery...smoke and mirrors.  As long as those with the power to make a difference, have money to continue to live the life they are through "disposable" goods and excessive consumption, the more we're going to rehash this argument.  Make it so they THINK they are living the same life, but in reality those bags really are disposable (biodegradeable), the fuel they're using is produced through recycling waste-product, and the plastic lid from their coffee cup is made from sugar cane and will decompose in 60 days, and we'll all be happy...that is, until they find out.  Then my bet is those "righties" will go out and kill some kittens or burn trees to prove a point.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

CRAIG B

• The Red Green Show
Who's paying? Not with my tax dollars or the certain increase of my bill.
WOULD THE OCEAN BE HIGHER IF THERE WERE NO SPONGES?

CRAIG B

• The Red Green Show
[/quote
Today's oil prices for example are back over $110 a barrell.
[/quote]
Well I agree about the oil prices being high but we have a way to decrease them drastically. Right now there is no competition to the Arab, South American sources. I know this will drive you left wingers nuts but we need to stop blocking the oil production in Anwar and off the coast of Florida. The cubans are drilling like crazy off Florida and have doing it for quite a while, and certainly if a backwards country like Cuba can keep from spilling oil so can we. This production will give us influence in the market pricing and we can tell the Arabs to go stuff it. Prices will fall back to around 65 to 75 a barrel. But the tree huggers of this world will give out a massive cry and so will the left wing politicians because then we will be cutting into the profitability of their eco investments.

CRAIG B

• The Red Green Show
Make no mistake to you this is about world preservation but to them it means money$$$$$. You have honourable intentions, Al Gore does not.

RiversideGator

This is precisely what I'm talking about.  I am not a "lefty".  All people who believe in a cleaner, safer, better world are not "lefties."  I disagree more with the left wing agenda than I do with the right-wing, but because there happens to be one commonality, we're all "lefties."  Closed.  Zipped.  Locked, RG.

I am for clean, safe and better too.  Apple pie and motherhood too.  I just dont buy into Al Gore's agenda.   :)

I did not choose to live where I live, my life chose it for me (namely my husband and the kids).  We are trying to move back to Riverside (where I lived on my own).  Moving would solve a lot of the transportation issues, but would not remove one from everything else I listed in my post.  There is still a Publix there pushing plastic bags like it's the next new drug, there are still people driving around in gas-guzzling SUVs just to get a coffee less than a mile from where they live (you'll see this A LOT in Avondale), and I've had more people honk at me while on a bike ride trying to tell me to "get off the road" than I have ever had out here in Southside.  My theory is the more money a person has to spend on things that are deemed to save time or energy, the more entitled they feel to that lifestyle and the more they condemn others for not living up to it.  Thus, again, the only way to make the world better is not through reason and logic but through trickery...smoke and mirrors.  As long as those with the power to make a difference, have money to continue to live the life they are through "disposable" goods and excessive consumption, the more we're going to rehash this argument.  Make it so they THINK they are living the same life, but in reality those bags really are disposable (biodegradeable), the fuel they're using is produced through recycling waste-product, and the plastic lid from their coffee cup is made from sugar cane and will decompose in 60 days, and we'll all be happy...that is, until they find out.  Then my bet is those "righties" will go out and kill some kittens or burn trees to prove a point.

I was kind of messing with you.  I do agree that traditional development practices are far better for a variety of reasons, including environmental ones.  And, I am all for better mass transit and walkability in Jacksonville.  I think we just approach it from two different perspectives.

Driven1

ooh!!! now there is something i can go off on a tangent on!!

attitudes towards bikers and pedestrians. 

completely agree.  i mean - people get so pissed sometimes and react so dangerously just because they have to slow down from 40 to 20 for 10 seconds to wait for an opportunity to pass a biker.

and then i hear the complaint - WHY DON'T YOU BIKE SOME OTHER TIME THAN RUSH HOUR.  You tell me - in december, when it gets dark by 5:15...when am i suppose to bike?  i work, ya know.  i can bike before work, but then you will see me during your precious rush hour morning commute (which also means i have to start early, before dawn - a time when your dumb a$$ is even less likely to see me as you talk on your cell phone and put on lipstick at the same time as driving) or around 4:30 if i leave work early - at which time you will see me during your precious evening gas-guzzling 40 minute commute home.

Driven1

oh yeah...and you know why we travel in large packs???  safety because you can't show courtesy on the roads and you are less likely to hit 10 of us than just one of us.  (unfortunately, that is not always the case as 2 years ago on san jose, a street sweeper fell asleep early one morning at the wheel and took out a whole pack of bikers...i think more than 5 or 6 were seriously hurt).

Driven1

oh yeah!!  and i just LOVE being honked at by these 4x4 wheelin rednecks.  cosmopolitan for sure.  sorry, but mandarin is just as bad as the westside for this.