Author Topic: Jacksonville's Haunted History  (Read 2480 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
Jacksonville's Haunted History
« on: October 02, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
I love history, all history.  Topping my love is the history of our own city of Jacksonville.  Metro Jacksonville has always done an amazing job of sharing our legacy through words and stories and I totally enjoy it.  There is however another type of history that I adore and that is haunted history.  You know, the creepy, spooky stories recorded in the ether's of time. lol  If you have a story about a haunting in Jacksonville, I would love to hear it.  If you don't, there is apparently a very entertaining way to find out more about out local haunts.  I must take this tour.  :)   There really are a lot of fun and interesting things to do in Jacksonville.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/downtowntoday.php?dt_date=2013-10-02  (see downtown after dark)

ghost tour.
Exploring a different, darker side of Downtown is the idea behind "River City Haunts," a new Friday night ghost tour developed by the company that operates the "Downtown Top to Bottom" walking tour.

Jacksonville Walking Tours owner Gary Sass, one of the guides on the ghost tour, said the stories related on the after-dark excursion are "historically based, but with a twist."

Ghosts are along the 12-block tour route. Victims of scarlet fever, a theater apparition and the ghost of Mrs. Isaiah Hart, wife of Jacksonville's founder, appear from out of the shadows to help relate Downtown's ghostly history.

Sass said some of the tales told are based on the archives of the Jacksonville Historical Society and information about long-gone buildings that have been replaced by new structures was provided by city historic planners. Jacksonville attorney and historian Edward M. Booth Jr. also was a source for some of the material.

"The truth is stranger than fiction," said Sass.

"River City Haunts" departs at 8 p.m. each Friday from the Landing.

The new tour is the third weekly Downtown walking tour, joining the 10 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday "Top to Bottom" tours. For more information and reservations, call (904) 827-1845 or visit adlibtours.com

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:14:52 PM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Jacksonville's Haunted History
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
I went on this tour last week.  It's a lot of fun.  I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the downtown area.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
Re: Jacksonville's Haunted History
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
I went on this tour last week.  It's a lot of fun.  I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the downtown area.
Really?  I am so glad it was fun.  Plan on taking the tour with my family.  Love things like this.  :)
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!