Author Topic: Deliberate Hemming Park Neglect and DeAmenitization  (Read 53196 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
Re: Deliberate Hemming Park Neglect and DeAmenitization
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
I just got off the phone with Michelle at parks.  She was unable to give me any updates on the park.  She said that David DeCamp in the mayors office wanted to speak to me about Hemming.  I have called and left a message.  Well let you know when I hear back.  ;)
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

mbwright

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
A pretty mosaic, and a dysfunctional fountain. 

edjax

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »
^^hey. At least we get pretty!  Who doesn't like pretty things?  Most pretty things are not really functional!  :D

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2013, 05:14:46 PM »
Well we know there was an additional 200K put into place to address maintenance.  I will ask David DeCamp what they plan on using the money for.  Off the top of your heads, in addition to the items pointed out and photographed in this original report.  What do you think should be done to get the most bang for the buck in Hemming Park?
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

edjax

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »
^^ as I recall the additional 200k was not just for maintenance.  But was also for programming.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
^^ as I recall the additional 200k was not just for maintenance.  But was also for programming.
I didn't know that.  I will ask David when I speak with him if firm plans have been made for the new funding. 
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

edjax

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »
Diane, following is the specific wording from the Lee amendment passed:

LEE SECOND FLOOR AMENDMENT
Council Member Lee offers her second floor amendment to File No. 2013- 464:
(1) Transfer$200,000fromSpecialCouncilContingencytoParks and Recreation for the purpose of Hemming Plaza programming and maintenance.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
Diane, following is the specific wording from the Lee amendment passed:

LEE SECOND FLOOR AMENDMENT
Council Member Lee offers her second floor amendment to File No. 2013- 464:
(1) Transfer$200,000fromSpecialCouncilContingencytoParks and Recreation for the purpose of Hemming Plaza programming and maintenance.
Thanks much ed.  I will see if they have broken it down from there.  :)
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
to paraphrase the venerable President of the Council I guess its just part of that ongoing conflict between Dreams and Reality.  The dream being that you can make a place completely inhospitable and inaccessible to the public but it will still thrive.

The reality being that it won't and even the flagship library will have to close down because of the shocking lack of public attendance to the facility. 

"Council President Bill Gulliford serves as the library board liaison and said he listened to members “anguish” over the decision much like council members did, but the library board’s charge is to oversee the service to the best of its ability."

I can't believe the city it STILL whining about the ONE house that had unanticipated issues that caused it to go to $200,000.  ONE.  15 YEARS AGO!  15 YEARS!  Let it go already, Kim Scott.  How many thousands upon thousands of dollars in tax revenue has the City realized from the many historic homes that have been restored? Far, far many more thousands than that one house took away.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:35:35 PM by Debbie Thompson »

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »
Just received a phone call from a Aleizha Batson in the mayor's office.  She is going to speak with the Parks dept folks and get my initial email which discussed concerns over Hemming Park and linked to the Metro Jacksonville article and pics.  I have asked her for an update on the status of the items outlined in the MJ report.  She is going to get the info and call me back.

As far as the 200K for maintenance and programming.  There is no current plan that discusses how those funds may be used.  This might be an excellent time for members of the public to make suggestions about the most immediate maintenance issues, what else might appropriately fall under maintenance, like replacing broken or removed furniture and programming.  Brainstorm now Jacksonville.  :)
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

HisBuffPVB

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
Get the chain link fence out of the park, disgusting. Bring in the firetrucks and wash down the sidewalks(Jake would have done that on day one), clean it up, at least twice a day, circulate both social workers and security through the park, Make it a welcoming center of town for everyone. Flood it with activities, James Rouse told the Amelia Island conference that back in 1974. Put the confederate statue in confederate park, have a city wide contest for a new piece of art work for the center of the park.  Set up a bully pulpit at some place in the park, for those people, who have something to say, not unlike parks in Chicago and London. I thought somebody was providing ambassadors for downtown, if so , should be in the park all the time, making people feel comfortable and secure.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
This is a cool postcard of Hemming Park back in the day.  Not sure of the year.  Maybe someone else will know.  The plaza sure looked inviting back then.  :)

Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

HangingMoth

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »
Uh oh... what are all those people doing in the park, quick get rid of all the benches and trees ;D Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Uh oh... what are all those people doing in the park, quick get rid of all the benches and trees ;D Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
Isn't it neat?  I wonder what the building with the red roof was?  I hope one of our history buffs will know more about the pic.
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
I believe it was a comfort station.  Here's another view:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali