Author Topic: Jacksonville's High Frequency Crash Sites  (Read 11317 times)

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
Re: Jacksonville's High Frequency Crash Sites
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
Both Orlando:

and Tampa:

have crossings for pedestrians (I'm sure miami does too, I'm just not as familiar with that area). Are we the only one in the state without such a thing? We spend the money to build a fence on the expressway instead to discourage pedestrians crossing  :-\

Jacksonville does have these, an example is the bike path along the S Line from 12th street down to Myrtle and Beaver area. And there is an I-95 crossing bridge at 3rd street but that may be pedestrian only not sure. Obviously though we need more where more people are or want to be.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
My father, who is a biker, was just in town visiting me for a few days and commented on how wide the bike lanes are here.  I was shocked because they all seem pretty narrow to me (3 ft?), so I just can't imagine bike lanes being any narrower there.  I bike too - the saying in this pedestrian and bike friendly town is that there are two types of bikers, those who have been hit before and those who haven't been hit yet.  90% of biking streets here are better than in Manhattan, but the busy "commuter" streets like Market St or Howard are just as chaotic.  I'm constantly weaving in and out of busses (often on both sides of me with maybe 2 inches clearance either way), cabs, honking cars, etc because it's a free for all even with the lanes (during rush hour or events on weekends).  I can't imagine it being any more dangerous, just can't fathom it.

I think it comes down to attitudes.  I ran into this in Atlanta when I lived there, which was busy developing a bike path network, but didn't have a strong culture of bikers and pedestrians.  Cars simply ignored paths, purposely ran bikers (once me) off the road, honked at bikers, etc.  That's a dangerous situation.  I almost got in a brawl from a hothead in a BMW in from Washington State right in front of my building on 14th St in Midtown (the most bike friendly area in metro) because I wasn't on the sidewalk!  I would imagine Jacksonville to be a place where auto drivers have -50% regard (i.e. utter disregard) for both bikers and pedestrians.  I can envision road rage incidents against both groups.  That's not safe and could be a large portion of the difference (my father also commented how he was surprised that people just "stop" for pedestrians around here...they'll honk at you if you walk slowly, so no "tude" swaggering across a street like you see in some places, but you won't get deliberately run over).

Candidly, most drivers in SF "put up" with bikers, but it's not as if pedestrians or auto drivers really like them, but we've all been on all sides of that aisle around here.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

tufsu1

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
Both Orlando:

and Tampa:

have crossings for pedestrians (I'm sure miami does too, I'm just not as familiar with that area). Are we the only one in the state without such a thing? We spend the money to build a fence on the expressway instead to discourage pedestrians crossing  :-\

Jacksonville does have these, an example is the bike path along the S Line from 12th street down to Myrtle and Beaver area. And there is an I-95 crossing bridge at 3rd street but that may be pedestrian only not sure. Obviously though we need more where more people are or want to be.

correct JayBird...in fact, Jax. probably had these before other areas of the state....ther are also overpasses on south I-95 and MLK...and a somewhat hidden underpass of I-10 just west of McDuff

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
How about red light cameras, in all locations for every approach  Too many stupid drivers not paying attention.
Red light camera's don't make people better drivers? It will always be up to the driver and the State to control bad drivers. Red light camera's are a joke sit near an intersection with red light camera's and listen to a driver floor it to make sure the camera doesn't get them. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
How did we end up with a bike path along Kernan instead of the typical bike lane?

If I had to bike along Beach Blvd I would definitely use the sidewalk instead of the bike lane.

I believe Kernan is not an FDOT facility. Bike lanes on six lane highways with cars traveling in excess of 40 mph, don't make sense to me.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
Sit near an intersection with red light camera's and listen to a driver floor it to make sure the camera doesn't get them. 

Or worse, slam on their breaks at the first sign of yellow.

Overstreet

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
Claire and San Jose already has a Red Light camera.  It just has a lot of traffic through there. Especially rush hours and saturday morning.

mvp

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »
If you want more detailed info on crash rates, types, locations and causes, you can check out the North Florida TPO Regional Strategic Safety Plan:

Summary: http://www.northfloridatpo.com/images/uploads/docs/StrategicSafetyPlan-SummaryBrochure.pdf

Detailed Report:  http://www.northfloridatpo.com/images/uploads/docs/12-07-03_Regional_Strategic_Safety_Plan_Summary_Report_Draft_without_Appendices.pdf

More safety-related info is available on the TPO site - http://www.northfloridatpo.com/safety

Shine

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »
I am pretty familiar with the intersection at beach and Hodges.  Local residents filed suit against the city in 2003 claiming the development at the Beach/Hodges node was out of scale and the traffic studies were not sustainable.  The city and the land owner prevailed in the litigation.  The recommended development at a node is no more than 36 acres – no more than half on any one corner.  That intersection has about three times that amount.  So, who ends up owning this mess?  Was another white cross on the side of the road really worth it?

Redbaron616

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
Having lived in fault and no-fault states (like Florida), in my experience, the no-fault states pay higher auto insurance premiums. That's because no matter how carefully you drive in Florida, if someone hits you, YOUR insurance company pays. In fault states, the insurance company of the one that caused the accident has to pay. At least under this scenario, the guilty party is penalized with higher insurance rates instead of spreading the pain to the innocent party.

spuwho

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »
Interestingly, I drive all of those southside intersections almost daily.

For what its worth...

Atlantic & Kernan. - The new bridge helps, the only problem is the proximity to 2 sets of traffic lights on Kernan. One before the Atlantic bridge, and one for the Atlantic exit ramps. People are looking at the Atlantic ramp light, not the general light in front of them. The ramp light goes green first to allow exiting Atlantic ramp traffic the right of way into Kernan. People on Kernan think that light is for them and just start blindly driving w/o looking at the traffic coming off the ramp. Accidents usually follow.

Beach & Hodges - This was an original BJP intersection that was later removed to save dough. Lots of retail built up around it in the past 5-6 years plus the 2 gas stations on the corners create alot of in/out cross traffic right by the intersection. COJ tried to mitigate the cross traffic where WalMart and Target are by forcing people to u turn at peripheral lights. The facts that Hodges southbound doesn't line up perfectly as it crosses Beach doesn't help. The accidents I have seen here are people not paying attention to changes in the flow of traffic.

Beach  & University. - Every accident I have seen here have been people trying to beat the red. COJ installed the cameras here. While waiting for the lights to cycle one day I saw 3 flashes of the cameras. It's that bad. Plus people on University are usually speeding.

Beach & Southside. - Before 295 was finished, Beach used to backup in the mornings under the bridge at Southside going east. People would coming rolling down the northside ramp off Southside (to avoid JTB & 95) and whoops! No where to go! Even though they have very long left turn lights for this intersection, people still try to shoot the red here. COJ installed cameras.

Baymeadows & Southside. - While this gets listed as a high accident area, I haven't seen an accident here in a few years in driving it. Usually what drives people nuts is that right turn on red is banned onto Old Baymeadows from Southside. People trying to get to FSCJ or work will lay on the horns to get people to turn.

Beach & St Johns Bluff/I-295. - It's not a car accident epicenter, this one is a pedestrian death row. Over 10 years I have seen 4 people trying to jaywalk (unsuccessfully) across Beach and get killed for it. (I saw a motorcyclist get killed there 3 months ago). Cause?  2 of those Intown Suites temp housing/hotels on one side of the road and ABC Liquor/WinnDixie on the other.  I thought it would get better once they finished 295 and through traffic moved off of St Johns Bluff, hardly. People roll the dice and try to shortcut across Beach. They put cameras in at the 295 lights, but that doesn't help the pedestrians.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
Because there are so many intersections on Beach Boulevard between Southside Boulevard and the Intracoastal Waterway, I take every effort to avoid it.  The stopping and going is very frustrating and indeed creates the potential for having a collision with someone else.

I feel the same way about Blanding Boulevard on the Westside.  If I am going between Riverside and Orange Park, I will take U.S. 17 instead.
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

spuwho

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
Because there are so many intersections on Beach Boulevard between Southside Boulevard and the Intracoastal Waterway, I take every effort to avoid it.  The stopping and going is very frustrating and indeed creates the potential for having a collision with someone else.

I feel the same way about Blanding Boulevard on the Westside.  If I am going between Riverside and Orange Park, I will take U.S. 17 instead.

The lights are synced between Southside and San Pablo during the morning and evening rush hours to promote flow. That was included as part of the Beach reconstruction back in 2005 through 2007.

exnewsman

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
Saw this on a Making Moves TV show...

Atlantic/Kernan was #1 on the report for 5-6 years in a row. Then the JTA put in the overpass, now its down to #8 with half the crashes it had per year previous. Same story at Beach/Kernan. Was #2 and now is #15.

So as unsightly as an overpass can be, it seems as if there is some safety value to them.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
There should be improvement considering those things were +$40 million a piece to local taxpayers.  Nevertheless, has safety been improved for bike/ped modes as well?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali