Author Topic: Before & After: San Marco Square's Balis Park  (Read 16859 times)

tufsu1

Re: Before & After: San Marco Square's Balis Park
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »
Anyone know if the STOP sign at Balis Place turning onto westbound San Marco Blvd or eastbound Atlantic Blvd was supposed to stay? It seems they eliminated the ability to go straight across to San Marco Place past the firehouse, so that leave left and right turn options, both of which have a dedicated lane. Even if they didn't, I would think Balis would have the right of way.

Also, were the roundabouts put in for aesthetic purposes or to slow traffic down? I wouldn't think Landon or Naldo would have sufficient traffic to justify disrupting the flow of San Marco Blvd, otherwise.

in the traffic design, the stop sign goes away (not sure why it is still there)....and roundabouts were both aesthetic and traffic calming

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Looks very nice, should have left the Palm trees in.

kbhanson3

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
Big improvement for the Square! Now if we can just get everyone up to speed on traffic rules for roundabouts....

Overstreet

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
I got used to the detours and now  just bypass it all.

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
LoL you mean once in the circle you're not suppose to come to a full and complete stop because there is another car planning to enter? Who knew.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

Charles Hunter

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »
Amazing rendering!  Even got the red car right!!

JaxArchitect

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »
Very nice job!  Not only is it a much nicer space and more usable park, but the traffic situation is greatly simplified.  Way to go!

chipwich

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »
I have to disagree with the positive responses for San Marco.  While southbound traffic is almost just as simple (though seemingly snarled at times), Northbound San Marco traffic has been permanently disheveled.

It is almost impossible to drive through the square anymore without encountering people who do not know how to use the (tight) roundabouts.  Several times, I have had to back up due to people driving the wrong way on the new road directions.

I could honestly care less about a few new palm-trees or a larger park.  Easily navigable traffic on the square has been compromised indefinitely and it is really annoying.

The only positive note is that it has slowed down traffic to reduce the risk to pedestrians in the square, but it is otherwise a nightmare to drive through.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
^As a resident, I put a lot more value in better and safer pedestrian access than in making it easier for cars to blow through the neighborhood. Though I really can't see how the traffic flow was any better before with the crossovers and stoplights.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »
^ agreed...that said (to chipwich's point), I have personally observed traffic conditions several times cduring the pm peak rush hour...and not once have I seen an issue northbound...it is pretty much slow speed free-flow conditions, which was the idea

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
One thing I love is the stop if pedestrians are in crosswalk signs.  Those appear to be having a great impact in slowing auto traffic down and making drivers look for pedestrians. We need more of those across the urban core if you ask me.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »
One thing I love is the stop if pedestrians are in crosswalk signs.  Those appear to be having a great impact in slowing auto traffic down and making drivers look for pedestrians. We need more of those across the urban core if you ask me.

I suggested these for the Shoppes of Avondale.  The 'Parking Overlords' however think that interferes with residential parking passes. 

tufsu1

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
^ either that or they aren't pretty enough...in fact, I'm sure one vocal resident will tell you that signs aren't historic

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 12:50:08 AM »
Doug, where was that photo taken from?

Photo taken by Grant Ward and his flying camera.  See more of his photos here:
www.bluedogaerial.com

Wow, that explains it. Awesome!

LoL you mean once in the circle you're not suppose to come to a full and complete stop because there is another car planning to enter? Who knew.

Lol. In fairness, I know how the Five Points intersection works yet I'll still break unnecessarily on occasion out of fear that others do not...

Bridges

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 07:43:56 AM »

I have been wanting these for years in certain areas.  Was so happy to see them in San Marco  I think several parts of town could use them.  Five points and Murray hill are two. 
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.