Author Topic: Brushing Off The Dust: 20 Affordable Fixes For Downtown  (Read 4650 times)

JFman00

Re: Brushing Off The Dust: 20 Affordable Fixes For Downtown
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »
Is the JRTC the only thing on the drawing board for Lavilla? With how many 100% vacant lots there are it's frustrating to see so little progress even compared to SJTC.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
A company wants to build a mixed use project at Union & Jefferson, but that's too conceptual at this stage to say it's going to happen for sure.  I also know of a few projects (a restaurant, barbershop, and offices) currently in standstill due to permitting issues with the Masonic Lodge building at Broad & Duval. So the first thing to break ground in LaVilla will probably be the Greyhound bus station or the surface parking lot across the street from the courthouse.  However, many (including myself) will probably argue that this isn't a good thing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JayBird

• Jersey born, live between Fleming Island&SoHo, NYC
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »
^ didn't I read somewhere that groundbreaking for Greyhound was supposed to be in August? Has this been (hopefully) delayed?
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

BrSpiritus

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »
"3. Re Time the streetlights"

Oh nelly! You hit the nail on the head with that one!  Why do I have to wait an interminable amount of time at a red light on Riverside Ave at 4am?  Only to face the next light going red as soon as the light I am at is green!  It's no wonder people run red lights here, if you don't want to re time then just set them to flasher after a certain hour like the ones on Park St in Brooklyn.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:06 PM »
Immediately kill the JRTC as planned, kill the new 'Intercity Bus Terminal,' (which is a LIE, the city and Greyhound know this is a Greyhound station painted as part of a likely to remain unbuilt JRTC ranch, nothing more, nothing less).

Get Amtrak back downtown, 2 simple platforms and reopened pedestrian subways would do the trick for now. Offer Jacksonville as the base and HQ of efforts to get the Gulf Wind (Sunset Limited) route, Midwest-Atlanta-Florida, Jacksonville-Ocala-Tampa and additional NYC-DC-JAX trains (simply extending the Palmetto from Savannah to Jacksonville). The Palmetto misses a midnight termination southbound and a 6 am departure northbound, 1.4 million persons, by 149 miles. The missed potential is just a hair under 9,396 persons per mile.

Holiday, weekend and Friday evening PCT bus service should extend far beyond Riverside alone, thought should be given to running a small network of such shuttles, LIMITED STOPS, between UNF-Town Center-San Marco-Downtown; Mayport-Regency-JU-Downtown; NAS Jax/OP-Ortega-FSCJ-Riverside-5 Points-Brooklyn-Downtown; NW Jax-Edward Waters-UF-Springfield-Downtown This would max out Student, Naval, and nightclub age access to downtown. Fare? Maybe somewhere around .50/.75 cents inbound, FARE FREE OUTBOUND.

Trash the moratorium and get the mobility fee collection in gear. Gather a task force and volunteers to construct the 'Electric 7 Parkway' from Beaver Street to 8Th Street, using museum type construction with donation of time and materials, if not machines.

STREETCAR NOW JACKSONVILLE!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 07:52:40 AM »
I attended a session on rail initiatives in Florida, the other day, at the American Planning Association's statewide conference in Orlando.  Panelist were representatives of FECI, Sunrail, FDOT, etc.  According to them, the Gulf Wind isn't happening.  Primarily because Amtrak doesn't want to invest in bringing it back.  Evidently, before Hurricane Katrina, that was their worst performing intercity line.

Amtrak on the FEC appears to still be in the works.  The FDOT rep stated that they are reevaluating the capital costs needed to get it up and running.  Sounded like the state may handle the capital cost and Amtrak will take care of the operational costs.  Other than that, it seems like they are waiting for other projects like AAF to upgrade portions of the track and the recent TIGER V award in South Florida, which will result in lower capital costs for the Amtrak project.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 08:52:57 AM »
VISIT JACKSONVILLE!!!

Open the 310 mile long Silo that is our St. Johns  River our American Heritage River a FEDERAL Initiative in our new highly restricted DIA zone.

I'm All In.