Author Topic: Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants  (Read 24323 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:02:56 AM »
Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants

Here’s a short list of Jacksonville’s "lesser known" restaurants that you should try.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-jul-jacksonvilles-hole-in-the-wall-restaurants

InnerCityPressure

Re: Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:20:37 AM »
I cannot believe Chopstick Charley's is a functioning establishment.  I have passed by fifty times and wondered what it would have been like to sleep at the Joe and eat at CC's.

I just...
but...

I <3 Jacksonville

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
Missed out on Karam's. That place is fantastic!!

sheclown

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:02:43 AM »
Tommy's "breakfast in a cup" on Walnut Street (just half a block south of Three Layers) is the greatest hole-in-the-wall for breakfast.  Where else can you get a bologna omelet?  Furthermore, I would be amazed if you ever spent more than $5 and lived to tell about it -- a lot of food.

Funky hours though.  Closes everyday at 11:00am and I don't believe it is open on the weekends.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:15 AM »
Oh, you've done it now.  Mark was interviewed by a local TV station, and he said, just don't tell people where we are.  We have all the business we need.  :-)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »
^LOL!  Anyway, Sheclown is dead on about Tommy's.  If you need a visual image of a hole in the wall, Tommy's is it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsquid

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »
It was only a matter of time before Pepe's had to raise their prices.  Felt like I was stealing when 4 of us got out of there for under $25.

Dog Walker

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
Does Pizza Italian in 5 Points count?  Gus has been there for over 35 years and has barely raised his prices in all that time.  Don't think he has redecorated in all that time either.  $10 single order of lasagna feeds two people to bursting; huge salad, bread included.

Plain Jane Italian food, but good.
When all else fails hug the dog.

pwhitford

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:53 AM »
I think someone might have wanted to insert a different kind of story between this piece and the last feature.  As it is, the lead crawl shows a picture of an overstuffed sandwich referencing hole-in-the-wall restaurants right next to the picture of an overstuffed kid shoveling food into his mouth.  Kind of an unusual combination, don't ya think?
Enlightenment--that magnificent escape from anguish and ignorance--never happens by accident. It results from the brave and sometimes lonely battle of one person against his own weaknesses.

-Bhikkhu Nyanasobhano, "Landscapes of Wonder"

Bike Jax

• Bike Jax
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
Chomp Chomp without question has the best burger in this city. Everything on the menu is outstanding, but that burger is amazing.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
I'm glad to see that Chomp Chomp is still in business.  I admittedly wasn't aware of their crazy hours and was able to stop by a few times during the week for lunch only to find them closed up.  I'd worried that my particular favorite hole-in-the-wall had become just a hole.

Thanks as always kids, for giving me something new to learn about and explore in Jax!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

rashad992

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »
I think I might hit up that chopstick charley's joint since I see it's not abandoned like i always thought

Josh

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
Does Pizza Italian in 5 Points count?  Gus has been there for over 35 years and has barely raised his prices in all that time.  Don't think he has redecorated in all that time either.  $10 single order of lasagna feeds two people to bursting; huge salad, bread included.

$10? That must be their double-order cuz I've never paid more than $6.50 a regular serving, which still could feed 2 people given the amount of garlic bread you get. Gus' place is definitely an awesome 5 Points institution for sure though.

Dog Walker

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

$10? That must be their double-order cuz I've never paid more than $6.50 a regular serving, which still could feed 2 people given the amount of garlic bread you get. Gus' place is definitely an awesome 5 Points institution for sure though.

We got drinks and left a tip too.  The lasagna is the size of a baby crib mattress.
When all else fails hug the dog.

DDC

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
Oh, you've done it now.  Mark was interviewed by a local TV station, and he said, just don't tell people where we are.  We have all the business we need.  :-)

When was that interview Debbie Thompson? Do you remember what channel?
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.