Author Topic: Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants  (Read 24287 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »
So, who's tried one of these restaurants for the first time? Opinion? I most want to know about Chopstick Charley's.

Me too... I keep getting this picture in my head of four old chinese mafia type guys sitting at the corner table playing cards... and they all stop and stare as I walk in...  weird huh?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »
No Lie: the Vietnamese restaurant attached to the Econolodge at University Blvd and I-95 (Cagle Road) serves the best bowl of Pho in town.  I don't think it even has a name.  Don't let that stop you!
Are you sure this place is still in business?

Yeah I think it's been closed for almost a year. Too bad.

mikemiller

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
Great series, all! It's great having reviews of out of the way joints that most of us have never visited. Guy Fieri where are you???? Jax has some new offerings for Triple D.

BrSpiritus

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
What about the Mexican place on the corner of Confederate Park on 1st?  Is that place any good?

Garden guy

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Taco lady at beach blvd flea market...good stuff and homemade sauces..caliente..

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
Guy 'Fairy' can rot in hell.  Please no DDD in any of these places.

I haven't read the thread in a week or so, so some of these places may have been mentioned:

Viet - Pho Ha Noi - Blanding / 103rd
Cuban - El Mofongo - Timuquana / Wesconnet
Island - Caribbean Star - Blanding / Shirley
Central American - Puerta Plata - Blanding / Lakeshore
'Mexican' - El tienda de Mexicana - Lane / Lenox(?)
Sammiches - Amy's Cafe - 5 points, Chomp Chomp - Adams / Newnan(?)
Southern Seafood (i'e' fried) - Checkers BBQ (Fri. & Sat. only) - Old St. Aug Rd
BBQ - TCs - Lem Turner / Edgewood
Classic Southern - Arden's Cafe - St. Johns / Hamilton
Soul Food Fusion - Sunday's - Argyle Forest Blvd
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

TheCat

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »
So, who's tried one of these restaurants for the first time? Opinion? I most want to know about Chopstick Charley's.

Me too... I keep getting this picture in my head of four old chinese mafia type guys sitting at the corner table playing cards... and they all stop and stare as I walk in...  weird huh?

There's definitely one guy that will stare at you...I feel confident that he is not in the Chinese Mafia. However, he will insist that you divide your left overs into more than one box so things don't get soggy.

DDC

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »
What about the Mexican place on the corner of Confederate Park on 1st?  Is that place any good?

I like it.  :) I am no expert on Mexican Fare but I have visited there several times and will go back again,
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

AKIRA

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »
Nile Ethiopian in the smaller strip mall at Toledo and Powers (east side).

Dog Walker

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
NRW,  will second the vote for El Mofongo.  One of the best Cuban sandwiches in town and roast chicken to die for.
When all else fails hug the dog.

frank1953

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
EL Mofongo is good and reasonable. Been there several times and would recommend to anyone.

ben says

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
Nile Ethiopian in the smaller strip mall at Toledo and Powers (east side).

Thinking about trying this place this weekend. Any other info? How does it compare to Queen of Sheba? (Not defunct.)
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

frank1953

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
Pass on Chopstick Charlie's. For one their egg rolls are nothing but a pile of celery and a few shrimp. Won't return. Want good Chinese try the Golden Egg Roll on Lem Turner. Been going there for years. They pile on enough rice  and entrees to feed two with one dinner and they will ADD EXTRA MEAT FOR A DOLLAR. Can't go wrong.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Central American - Puerta Plata - Blanding / Lakeshore

Been on a big fried chicken kick lately (Simply Saras and Salty Fig are receiving high marks thus far, matter of fact I'll take Simply Saras over FYC's 'famous' fried chicken any day of the week). 

The chicarones are Puerta Plata are on point!

Ardens is another really good recommendation. 

Thinking about trying this place this weekend. Any other info? How does it compare to Queen of Sheba? (Not defunct.)

The lady friend did an article on them that will be coming out in Folio's Bite by Bite issue.  She seemed to be a fan (I was eating fried chicken across town that day). 

Bondgirl

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
Jerry's Sports Grille on Atlantic near Hodges has the best breakfasts on Saturdays and Sundays.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:21:46 PM by Bondgirl »