Author Topic: Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants  (Read 24291 times)

ben says

Re: Jacksonville's Hole in the Wall Restaurants
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »
Oh, you've done it now.  Mark was interviewed by a local TV station, and he said, just don't tell people where we are.  We have all the business we need.  :-)

When was that interview Debbie Thompson? Do you remember what channel?

http://springfield.firstcoastnews.com/news/arts-culture/one-springfields-best-kept-secrets-intends-stay-way/51282
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Noone

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
Who wants to meet for breakfast and we'll play a game of pool for the bill?

boydbettis

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
Awesome! Thanks going to have to try Chopstick Charley's and Pepe's Hacienda!

DDC

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »
Oh, you've done it now.  Mark was interviewed by a local TV station, and he said, just don't tell people where we are.  We have all the business we need.  :-)

When was that interview Debbie Thompson? Do you remember what channel?

http://springfield.firstcoastnews.com/news/arts-culture/one-springfields-best-kept-secrets-intends-stay-way/51282

Thanks Ben 8)
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

KenFSU

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
Chuckled at the accidental irony:

JaxByDefault

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »
Missed out on Karam's. That place is fantastic!!

They don't advertise it, but they have a large amount of vegetarian and vegan options.

As always, ask the owners what they have specially made off-menu before deciding on your order. Great stuff!

Also, earlier this year, the Karam family purchased back the Beach and Hodges location which is now called Yalla! Grill. They sold it to someone else about a year and half ago, then it sold again. In short, the food there should match the original location on University again.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:36:20 PM by JaxByDefault »

Noone

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
Tommy's "breakfast in a cup" on Walnut Street (just half a block south of Three Layers) is the greatest hole-in-the-wall for breakfast.  Where else can you get a bologna omelet?  Furthermore, I would be amazed if you ever spent more than $5 and lived to tell about it -- a lot of food.

Funky hours though.  Closes everyday at 11:00am and I don't believe it is open on the weekends.

What a cool place. Met Mark and the food was great. Definately will be back.
Thanks for sharing the place Sheclown.

ben says

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »
Missed out on Karam's. That place is fantastic!!

They don't advertise it, but they have a large amount of vegetarian and vegan options.

As always, ask the owners what they have specially made off-menu before deciding on your order. Great stuff!

Also, earlier this year, the Karam family purchased back the Beach and Hodges location which is now called Yalla! Grill. They sold it to someone else about a year and half ago, then it sold again. In short, the food there should match the original location on University again.

I'm not sold on Karams. I know a lot of people, many from the Middle East or of Middle Eastern decent, that go ape for this place. I find that their shwarma and kabob plates are dried out, the pita is cold, and everything is reheated in the microwave. I'll go there in a pinch--it's DEFINITELY better than Hala's (what happened to that place?!?!)--but Raymond over at Noura Cafe has me. I'll take a meal at Noura's over a Karim's dish anyday.

Also, Hon Korean could have easily made the list!
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

hound dog

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
No Lie: the Vietnamese restaurant attached to the Econolodge at University Blvd and I-95 (Cagle Road) serves the best bowl of Pho in town.  I don't think it even has a name.  Don't let that stop you!

Mr. Charleston

• Deadhead Parrothead Gearhead Treehugger
    • Termites of Sin
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 06:41:58 AM »
Another great Lebanese hole in the wall often overlooked is Wally's on Cesary Blvd two blocks north of Arlington Rd.  Great place.  Everything cooked to order.

ben says

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 08:09:13 AM »
No Lie: the Vietnamese restaurant attached to the Econolodge at University Blvd and I-95 (Cagle Road) serves the best bowl of Pho in town.  I don't think it even has a name.  Don't let that stop you!

Are you sure this place is still in business?

Pho Viet on Mayport Road is my personal favorite.

johnny_simpatico

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
One of my favorite hole in the walls is La Guadalupana market on Spring Park Rd., just north of Emerson. On WEEKENDS ONLY they serve fantastic tacos for $2 and various meals and soups. The tortillas are hand made right in front of you and arrive warm.  Fantastic.  This is Mexican food for Mexicans.  No sour cream or Taco-Bell and Ensenada-style Baja California gringo eats. (I've learned from experience that a Mexican place is worth avoiding is when it advertises itself as "authentic.")

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
One of my favorite hole in the walls is La Guadalupana market on Spring Park Rd., just north of Emerson. On WEEKENDS ONLY they serve fantastic tacos for $2 and various meals and soups. The tortillas are hand made right in front of you and arrive warm.  Fantastic.  This is Mexican food for Mexicans.  No sour cream or Taco-Bell and Ensenada-style Baja California gringo eats. (I've learned from experience that a Mexican place is worth avoiding is when it advertises itself as "authentic.")

Perhaps they have gotten better... I stopped in for lunch about 6 months ago(I think they just opened) and though "authentic" it did not compare to Pepe's... will give it another shot however...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
There is a new 'MIDTOWN DELI' location on the ground floor of the VA's Southpointe Clinic. Nothing else on the floor so don't worry about blowing the atmosphere with a bunch of broken down folks like ME. The location served up one of the best BLT lunches I've ever had yesterday. What is cool for others is it is almost dead center of the Southpointe office park, and it looks out over a nicely landscaped lake, more then that it also has a great patio dining on the lake. Well worth the effort parking shouldn't be a problem after 11 am.

TheCat

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
So, who's tried one of these restaurants for the first time? Opinion? I most want to know about Chopstick Charley's.