Author Topic: Willow Branch Park conditions  (Read 23212 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
Re: Willow Branch Park conditions
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
The motivations for removing amenities at Willow Park may very well be racist, but to me, that isn't the biggest problem. 

This is once again the power of a select few to use their connections and bend government to it's will and get what it wants at the expense of the city.  This is a disturbing trend that we have seen repeated over and over and over.

Reference:
"Negative" activity at Willow Branch
Neighbor across from Intuiton
Parking in Avondale
Sound from Met Park
Benches in Hemming Plaza
Land Speculators

When will our leaders start standing up for the whole citizens of this city?  Not just those with a direct line to their ear?

Simple, no one holds them accountable.  People hear about it, read about, complain about it, move on.  Then, surprisingly, continue to vote them into their positions. 
Some of us hold them accountable, I wish more folks would do the same. ;)
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Garden guy

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »
Im suprised you guys are upset about public parks in jax..this is a republican conservative city and that group are anti public anything...im suprised they havent pushed to hand this, park over to someone for condos.....this is no suprise...and as for taxes..this is the cheapest city around and it shows

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
Yes we know Garden Guy, heard you the first time.  We laughed, enjoyed the moment and moved on.  Go back to your sand box or eat some checkers.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

tufsu1

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
Im suprised you guys are upset about public parks in jax..this is a republican conservative city and that group are anti public anything

our Mayor, a Democrat, also seems to be anti-tax/spending

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 06:35:15 AM »
Im suprised you guys are upset about public parks in jax..this is a republican conservative city and that group are anti public anything

Some people will be anything to anybody in order to win an election.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »

Some people will be anything to anybody in order to win an election.

Jacksonville is one of the few places in which Alvin would be considered a Democrat. Everywhere else, he is a slightly right of moderate Republican. He just happened to be running against someone whose policies most closely reflected those of Civil War-era southern Democrats.

mtraininjax

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
Nobody seems to be bringing up the simple fact that Willowbranch Park gets used....ALOT! I see football practices, softball games, basketball, cheerleading practices, it gets ALOT of traffic. Conversely, Fishweir Park just down the road and a bit more hidden from the mainstream, gets very little traffic. We bring our dogs out at 5 pm and let them run around with neighbors. There are basketball goals in good shape, lights even too. A nice baseball diamond and a large field for which the dogs enjoy, without being close to the other activities.

Boone Park is a few blocks from me, a nice park, but it does not get used nearly as much by the rough sports, where would you build a football field or a baseball diamond? Won't happen with all the trees, which will never go anywhere, so it is really an apples and oranges thing with me and Boone and Willowbranch.

Not here to tell people what to do, but yeah, if you see garbage, pick it up and throw it away. If you find a table a nasty mess, perhaps you have some wet-ones and can wipe it down for the next person. We are all in this together and while we think the City can do it all for us, it can't and so this is OUR city, take a bit of pride and throw away or clean up a park, next time you are in one.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

icarus

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Not here to tell people what to do, but yeah, if you see garbage, pick it up and throw it away. If you find a table a nasty mess, perhaps you have some wet-ones and can wipe it down for the next person. We are all in this together and while we think the City can do it all for us, it can't and so this is OUR city, take a bit of pride and throw away or clean up a park, next time you are in one.

+1

Dog Walker

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
+2 !  Don't just walk by a thrown down beer can and complain that the City is not keeping the parks clean.  Pick it up yourself and throw it away.
When all else fails hug the dog.

m74reeves

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
i agree, yes, pick up trash. simple solution and something i do, on almost a daily basis at this park.

the trash is not why i originally posted this. it's about removed basketball goals/backboards and lighting in the park.

but when should i expect to hear back from jim love about the amenities that have been removed from the park? i have yet to get a reply.
"Everyone has to have their little tooth of power. Everyone wants to be able to bite." -Mary Oliver

Noone

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2013, 11:21:39 PM »

+1

+3
Just to add when you highlight OUR city.
We have a new DIA.
2013-373-Regulatory Compliance Coordinator

Overstreet

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Im suprised you guys are upset about public parks in jax..this is a republican conservative city and .........

Check with the elections office web site and you'll find there are more democrats in Jax than republicans. Jacksonville is a conservative city.  Not all conservatives are republican.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:41 AM »
DId anyone catch the story on Channel 4 I think it was about the park? They interviewed Jim Love.

mtraininjax

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »
I don't watch Channel 4. Too much sensationalism. And that says a lot about the news.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field