Author Topic: Willow Branch Park conditions  (Read 23216 times)

natmgriff

Re: Willow Branch Park conditions
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »
I am mobile so I can't search now. I actually asked about the state of willowbranch park just a week or two ago on coj's Facebook, jaxparks Facebook and in an email to coj. I got a reply on Jaxparks FB and basically they said Jim Love ordered the nets down because of complaints from residents that games were bringing negative activity. I used to enjoy watching the full court games. We all know what this is about. I'll try to link when I get home but if you look at jaxparks Facebook page you should be able to see my question and their reply. As soon as the nets came down the park went to utter $h!t.

m74reeves

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
I am mobile so I can't search now. I actually asked about the state of willowbranch park just a week or two ago on coj's Facebook, jaxparks Facebook and in an email to coj. I got a reply on Jaxparks FB and basically they said Jim Love ordered the nets down because of complaints from residents that games were bringing negative activity. I used to enjoy watching the full court games. We all know what this is about. I'll try to link when I get home but if you look at jaxparks Facebook page you should be able to see my question and their reply. As soon as the nets came down the park went to utter $h!t.

Woah! I walk in the park every day...the grass is not cut frequently, and there is trash sometimes, but I've never seen needles or anything like that. However, it's not as aesthetically appealing as other parks in the RA area, for sure. When I saw the lights down, I wondered if vandalism or what. I really just noticed the ball courts over the weekend as there are not as many people over there playing.

I saw parks there today grading the ball field, for what it's worth.
"Everyone has to have their little tooth of power. Everyone wants to be able to bite." -Mary Oliver

natmgriff

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
This was my question and response on the JaxParks Page. I can't seem to link to just the thread, but here is it, or you can read it on their page https://www.facebook.com/friendsofjaxparks?ref=ts&fref=ts

Natalie Milstead Griffith
What is the deal with Willowbranch Park? About 2 years ago I frequently would walk through it with my infant to go to the library. It was fairly clean and up-kept. Not as nice as other Riverside-Avondale parks, but not horrible. We walked up there at the request of my 2 yr old last night and it is HORRIBLE. Garbage everywhere, all the nets, except 2, torn from the hoops, a broken swing, graffiti all over the play structure - and it was FILTHY. The grass looked like it hadn't been mowed in weeks. Who is supposed to maintain the park? The city? The community? Why does Boone Park look so nice but Willowbranch is disgusting? I would love to know who to contact about this. I remember years ago, coming home late at night, I would drive past the park on my way home and there were almost always police officers patrolling the area. Obviously that is not the case anymore because the park looks like a late night party spot with all the bottles and cans and cigarette butts strewn everywhere. It really saddens me because this is the closest park to us, in a convenient location right next to the library, but it is so gross and frankly dangerous looking at this point I am scared to let my toddler play there :(
Like ·  · June 11 at 12:51pm
Top Comments
Shirley Carr Poll likes this.

JaxParks Thank you for sharing your concerns about Willowbranch Park. We have sent a maintenance crew to the park to investigate the concerns, pick up trash, remove graffiti and make any necessary repairs. For future, we will schedule a crew to go to the park each Monday morning for litter pickup since it is a high use area. The park is on a mowing schedule of two times a week as are most of our parks. We will make sure the schedule is maintained. The basketball nets were removed recently by JaxParks at the request of Councilman Love. He made the request after receiving complaints that the courts were attracting negative activity. We left the rims so that people could still use the courts for less agressive games. We also recently asked JSO to increase patrols in the area during weekends. We will let them know there are still concerns about activity at the park. Thank you again for contacting us. It's important that citizens keep us informed about issues in your parks so we can continue to provide a quality park experience.
Like · Reply · 2 · June 11 at 2:33pm · Edited

Natalie Milstead Griffith Thanks for your reply. As far as the hoops go, wow, it looks way worse in the park, more garbage, etc than when I was there earlier this year and full court games were going on. If that was supposd to deter criminal activity, it sure didn't help. If anything it's worse. Maybe the nets need to go back up so the courts can still be used and not look like utter trash and just have more patrolling in the area! I sure hope the park gets back into some sort of reasonable shape. It's making a really nice area of riverside just look awful and going unused by residents because of the filthiness of it is just going to make it worse and turn it into even a bigger haven for vagrants and litterbugs.
Like · Reply · 4 · June 11 at 2:49pm

DDC

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »

He made the request after receiving complaints that the courts were attracting negative activity.

What the heck does that mean?  :o  Basketball players are bad news? Removing the nets will stop them from shooting the hoops? Nevermind..... ::)
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »

He made the request after receiving complaints that the courts were attracting black youths negative activity.

What the heck does that mean?  :o  Basketball players are bad news? Removing the nets will stop them from shooting the hoops? Nevermind..... ::)

Not that you really need it, but I'll clear it up for you and anyone else. 

I left the board of a certain local athletic park for doing the same exact thing, for the reason that I mention and using the same terminology as Love. 
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

TheCat

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
The facebook interaction in pics:

@natmgriff, kind of amazing. It's another "never ceases to amaze me" moment with Jacksonville and Jim Love. I'll make an assumption that that Jim Love asked for the rims to come down and in a fairly patronizing move the parks department removed the nets. I would be hard pressed to believe that Jim Love requested for the nets to be removed to ward off negative activity.

I suppose it is likely for a group of hardcore negative activitiers to come to the park and see the missing nets and decide they better go somewhere else to be negative.

I'd love love love to know what negative activity the basketball nets were attracting. Was it muggers? Rapists? Murderers? Or, basket ball players?

@natmgriff, did they remove any rims? You had mentioned that full court games were no longer doable?

Maybe, the people coming are overtly pessimistic. Jim Love is a glass is half-full type of guy.

TheCat

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »

He made the request after receiving complaints that the courts were attracting black youths negative activity.

Not that you really need it, but I'll clear it up for you and anyone else. 

I left the board of a certain local athletic park for doing the same exact thing, for the reason that I mention and using the same terminology as Love.

Did they remove just the nets? Or the actual rims?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »
At the park that I was associated with, they removed the entire goal.

At Willowbranch, I'm not sure.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

natmgriff

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
The rims are still there. I had an email response as well which I can't seem to find at the moment. They left the nets on two of the half court hoops but they are diagonal so you can't even play a real half court game either. I mean I guess it's possible to play without nets but it makes for a pretty crummy game since the ball just goes flying instead of gong down through the net. These guys were playing real games, they had big Gatorade water coolers and people that watched and hung out. They were chased out. That would be crazy to play without nets for games like that.

natmgriff

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
I used to bring my BABY up there to watch. Now it's so nasty and filthy I can't even take him to the park to play. I thought it was really cool to live in a diverse neighborhood that we could watch people with mad skills play basketball. Well, not anymore. Now the park is just skeeved out.

DDC

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »
I used to bring my BABY up there to watch. Now it's so nasty and filthy I can't even take him to the park to play. I thought it was really cool to live in a diverse neighborhood that we could watch people with mad skills play basketball. Well, not anymore. Now the park is just skeeved out.

So did the park go downhill after the nets were removed? Perhaps the negative acting people kept the really negative active people out..... who knows.... ???

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Bridges

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »
Sometimes you have to laugh, or you'll go crazy.  Removing the nets from a basketball court to discourage basketball, but leaving the hoops up so...people can still play basketball?  I'm at a loss. 

This is the exact thing that is wrong with Jacksonville's leadership on so many levels.  Unbelievable.
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

WmNussbaum

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
Who cares about this park? Doesn't really matter. We're getting the WORLD'S  biggest jumbotron.

m74reeves

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
Did they remove just the nets? Or the actual rims?

I was just in the park. there are 6 basketball goals there. 1 has no backboard at all, 3 have backboard and no rims, and the remaining 2 have the rims still (as natmgriff states, they are diagonal from each other; there are metal nets though).

there were about 6 or 7 young men playing and i asked when the backboards and rims were removed. one guy said about a month ago b/c on "sundays a lot of people come up here to play and there was a lot of trash talk happening and trash left in the park."  i should have asked him who told him that the removal of the goals was punishment for that, but i was a bit shocked at his response. plus, i was interrupting their game. :)

btw, there was a cop sitting on cherry street near the baseball field/library as well.

it looks trashy to me w/o the goals and such...that coupled with the high grass makes it feel not maintained. and if the willowbranch library is closed, well, i don't want to think about that.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:42:35 PM by m74reeves »
"Everyone has to have their little tooth of power. Everyone wants to be able to bite." -Mary Oliver

Lucasjj

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
I like the city's methods for fixing our parks. Just destroy what ever amenities exist and that will be sure to solve the problem.

I was excited for Jim Love to be my council member and voted for him, but he has been a total detriment to the area.