Author Topic: 2012 City Population Estimates Released  (Read 26170 times)

simms3

• Time has come
Re: 2012 City Population Estimates Released
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
By the way, why don't you kick me off this forum??  Clearly we don't see eye to eye - I have actually repeatedly asked Stephen to delete my account for a long time and I don't think he will - it probably adds at least an hour to my day as a distraction, every day!  LoL
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »
Lol, I have no problem with you Simms.  I actually enjoy the discussion and the detailed posts you provide.  I find them very informative. 

I also don't have the time, energy or will to stir up people in other cities at other sites to debate on trivial topics like this.  I do work during the day to keep my lights on. :)

I'm a pretty laid back guy, so I'm not the type to take things personal on an internet discussion board and "kick people off" for not seeing eye to eye on every subject.

If anything, I was surprised that a couple of posters from Miami had been kurking on this website and following this discussion.  I simply figured I'd share the comments when I came across them this morning.  No hard feelings from my side.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:11:12 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
That's really funny.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
It still doesn't hide the fact that this site is a MAJOR distraction for me...somehow Adam W's profile was deleted and by request mine can't be?  This site is like crack for me - the only way to get me to quit is to take it away.  Stephen - you and me are friends on FB :)

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2013, 01:58:09 AM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/23/18441345-urban-renewal-census-figures-show-cities-surging?lite

Big cities surpassed the rate of growth of their surrounding suburbs at an even faster clip, a sign of America's continuing preference for urban living after the economic downturn quelled enthusiasm for less-crowded expanses.

Farther-out suburbs known as exurbs saw their growth slip to 0.35 percent, the lowest in more than a decade.

Suburbs in the South and West also are seeing some gains, such as those around Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Jacksonville, Fla.

New Orleans, which saw its population shrivel in the mid-2000s after Hurricane Katrina, continued to post the biggest increase in city growth relative to suburbs in the past year — 2.5 percent vs. 0.6 percent. Atlanta, Richmond, Va., Denver, Boston and Charlotte, N.C., also showed wide disparities between city and suburbs.

Other big cities showing faster growth compared with the previous year include Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, San Francisco and Columbus, Ohio.

In all, primary cities in large metropolitan areas with populations of more than 1 million grew by 1.12 percent last year, compared with 0.97 percent in surrounding suburbs. In 2011, the gap between city and suburb growth was narrower — 1.03 percent vs. 0.96 percent.

During the mid-decade housing boom, city growth had come to a standstill, while exurban growth rose by 2 percent, as the wide availability of low-interest mortgages pushed new residential development outward.

—New York remained the nation's most populous city, at 8.3 million, with the rest of the top 10 unchanged. Austin, Texas, moved up from 13th to 11th, supplanting Jacksonville, Fla.; Indianapolis slipped from 12th to 13th.

Nothing new here...I always take note when I see Jax mentioned in an article from a national media source, this one lumps Jax in as one of a few contradictory cities where overall growth is slowed from before and concentrated in the suburbs still...Not that US News means anything to demographers, developers, lenders, companies, etc, but it does get read and they aren't necessarily wrong (which isn't "good" in that it indicates that the jobs are all going to the suburbs still since the premise of the article seems to be of one that the poor economy is still gripping the job market and people are staying close to the jobs for safety, i.e. the cities rather than the burbs).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:47 AM »
^To me, it reads like they are defining city verses suburbs by municipal limits of the core city.  That means, most of Duval is the "city" and our rapidly growing burbs are basically Clay and St. Johns County.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »
^Yeah, that seems to be what they meant.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »
^To me, it reads like they are defining city verses suburbs by municipal limits of the core city.  That means, most of Duval is the "city" and our rapidly growing burbs are basically Clay and St. Johns County.

Agreed, but either way (SS vs SJC) they are lumping Jax in with the suburban growth crowd of cities (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Houston), as a sort of "bucking the late trend", and they are tying population growth to jobs and job security.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »
I don't necessarily view this as a negative.  Phoenix and Houston also have explosive core growth as well.  To me, our struggle isn't about limiting suburban growth.  It's more about making it fiscally viable and sustainable.  Ultimately, I'd love us to have a healthy core and burbs.