Author Topic: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)  (Read 35834 times)

Momo Clutter

Re: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »
Are you all still welcoming volunteers to come?

johncb

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2013, 01:22:53 AM »
While I appreciate you alls enthusiasm,I truly believe you're being completely unrealistic. I would suggest taking some of that admirable energy,and devote it to something more productive,like going in to poorer neighborhoods and cleaning empty lots piled with garbage and planting some flowers or vegetables.Or better yet,join habijax and make a real difference fixing up some elderly persons home.Like the Ambassador(wich I managed for years and was vilified for pointing out how cost prohibitive restoration would be) this poor building is too far gone for rehab.8-9 million that was quoted earlier wouldnt begin to scratch the surface,it would cost that much just to stabilize.It really astonishes me that someone can be so BLIND  to reality of costs concerning restoring old buildings.No offense intended.

Dog Walker

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
While I appreciate you alls enthusiasm,I truly believe you're being completely unrealistic. I would suggest taking some of that admirable energy,and devote it to something more productive,like going in to poorer neighborhoods and cleaning empty lots piled with garbage and planting some flowers or vegetables.Or better yet,join habijax and make a real difference fixing up some elderly persons home.Like the Ambassador(wich I managed for years and was vilified for pointing out how cost prohibitive restoration would be) this poor building is too far gone for rehab.8-9 million that was quoted earlier wouldnt begin to scratch the surface,it would cost that much just to stabilize.It really astonishes me that someone can be so BLIND  to reality of costs concerning restoring old buildings.No offense intended.

Thanks for your advice.  Im always surprised at how many people want other people to stop what they are doing and switch to doing something that they aren't doing themselves. ;)

The building is quite stable already and built to a much higher standard than the Ambassador.  It is not masonry veneer over steel , it is solid masonry.  The 9 million figure to restore it to a school was estimated by people with experience rehabilitating old masonry buildings.
When all else fails hug the dog.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
Isn't there a proposal to renovate the Ambassador?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »
Thank you Stephen and Dog Walker for your comments.  I am one of those poor misguided people who spend time doing something I sincerely believe in.  That would be ANNIE LYTLE.  If, as was implied, I am wasting my time, so be it.  I would have to say it is MY time and mine to waste any way I wish.  That also goes for my 11 year old granddaughter.  and for the wonderful people at PSOS for all their efforts on behalf of Springfield and especially the Drew House.  None of us consider our work unproductive. 
Naysayers?  Why waste a second of your time worrying  about our positive actions/or waste our time?

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2013, 03:18:22 AM »
JohnCB, you are the one I am addressing as a naysayer.  Wanted to make that more clear. Stephen Dare and Dog Walker, always appreciate your support.

Timkin

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »

Your opinion is so noted. 

We continue work at the School.

Timkin

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »

Thanks for your advice.  Im always surprised at how many people want other people to stop what they are doing and switch to doing something that they aren't doing themselves. ;)

The building is quite stable already and built to a much higher standard than the Ambassador.  It is not masonry veneer over steel , it is solid masonry.  The 9 million figure to restore it to a school was estimated by people with experience rehabilitating old masonry buildings.

The 9 Million dollar figure was estimated by a Developer who never had any intent to refurbish the building.  They stated over and over and over they wanted it taken out.

At 96 years old, it is far more stable than some modern "structures"  that will never stand as long.

Xena1983

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »
Does any body have any more info on this place and what going on with it? I have always seen pictures online of the school been there once my self just wondering if its being clean up still. Would like to see updated picthures of it if any body has any thanks.

Noone

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2013, 06:41:51 AM »
9 hours out from the CRA/DIA in the USA workshop meeting that is happening right now today at 3pm first floor city hall. This is an opportunity for anyone  to show up and get in line and get your project on the list. The big story was going to be if there would be anonymous ( behind the scenes) participation as to actually showing up. I believe this was discussed at a DIA Board meeting and not sure what the exact action was taken. One person during Public comment did talk about people going to jail. just sharing what was discussed.

This would be an opportunity for the super foundation to do something.

Planning a RICO paddle Downtown. Still an open contest on the new signage that is in our DIA zone that was never before Waterways. If anyone shares with all of us that love MJ where it is I'll treat you to Chopstick Charley's. I'm serious. A clue. It's near our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a FEDERAL Initiative. It is in our DIA zone.

My elected Dist. 4 representative is aware of the issue. Also have an email for a specific project and let's see if my elected legislative representative will be at this meeting today and formally advance a requested project to be included for this list that will guide Jacksonville for years to come. Ask my Dist. 4 rep about the FIND update. We are so LOST.

I'm All In.

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »
To Xena and anyone else who is interested in Annie Lytle:  The cleaning continues.  We work every weekend.  You can see photos on FaceBook "Save Public School #4 /Annie Lytle.  We invite you to join if you can.  We post photos after each work day to show our progress.  This Saturday (26th) should be a major accomplishment.  We are being joined by a cycling club who are volunteering for the one day.  We are very exited to see what is accomplished.  Thank you for asking!

Noone

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »
One year later. Where are we?

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2014, 12:23:37 AM »
Noone, we are still working.  Tons of trash have been removed.  We are very proud of our work.  We often have cars drive past and honk their horns and give us a thumbs up.  JSO has been great!  You can see for yourself on our Facebook page:  Save Public School Number Four......   Photos from each Work Day are posted there. 
Despite those who continue to  have negative viewpoints, there is hope for her.  Anyone is welcome to come out and help.  Come out and help and see for yourself.

Dog Walker

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Patsy is understating the amount of work that she and her dedicated volunteers have done.  They have moved tons of debris bucket by bucket.  They keep the grounds mowed and have removed dead trees.  The labor involved boggles the mind.

They have even cut up and removed the massive, fire damaged trusses that supported the auditorium roof.

They all deserve some sort of recognition from the City and the History Society.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Timkin

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2015, 01:05:31 AM »
For anyone who is interested in following the cleanup of the Annie Lytle School and the School's grounds, and to see the progress from where it was several years ago, to now, please visit our website: www.savepublicschoolnumber4.com   This site was established by our Volunteer, Brett Nolan who did a tremendous job in creating it , and continues to do so with frequent updates.   Our Volunteer base continues to grow and the Annie Lytle Preservation Group is seeking to become a 501 C3  Non Profit. (Actually in motion now) .   

We are proud of our work and the positive message it sends to the community. We want to prepare this old landmark for a new use, and hope to acquire it so as to have some control over its destiny.

Personally it has been a long road but an enjoyable journey.  It is heart warming to watch a seed grow, so to speak..meaning watching a dedicated, intellignent hard-working team form.

While the property/ownership/tax issues and staggering costs are all hurdles we have to meet, a team is forming. I sincerely believe no one will be able to dispute that our crew has removed a lot ( not all of the derelict  state of the Schools interior condition.. painting the exterior trim on the base all the way around the school, all the handrails , ledges, etc.  both side porticos, and Capital /Portico.  Replacing the Planter , right of front steps, destroyed by a truck hitting it.  Repairing the Capital where Archer Western's Crane smacked the right front of the capital and broke some of the concrete trim at the roof line.

Going into the interior  5 classrooms are completely cleaned out , all 4 stair wells, 1st story boys bathroom, one classroom ( which was amazingly still , fairly intact)  is going to be restored with light fixtures and everything. going into the front hall Admin offices are cleared and gutted..flooring and all .Removal of fire walls throughout the structure.  Most of this work has been done in the last 18 months with a crew that averages 8-15 people per session.  We are like family work hard and play hard. ...Update Pictures coming!! stay tuned.  Lord Willing , we will map out the way to put the lights back on in this Grand Old Lady.