Author Topic: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)  (Read 35813 times)

Noone

Re: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
^ Palms Fish Camp- Who will be getting a million bucks and they never even opened the door? And the flip side to that is who should be disbarred? PS4 is land locked. True? Did anyone go or participate in the Jacksonville Waterways Commission at the 5/15/13 meeting? 2009-442 established by ordinance is the way to go. The Artificial Reef Trust Fund. it is becoming wildly successful.

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
I would personally like to thank David for the photos and article he has posted.  We have had a lot of new volunteers to our project since the article first appeared.  Seems to have awakened or reawakened many to her plight.
MANY THANKS, DAVID!  Looking forward to meeting you.
and thanks to Metro Jax for its help!
Patsy Bryant, member of Annie Lytle Preservation

Timkin

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
^ Agree , Patsy.  David's photography is awesome. Thanks so much for the pictures and story.  Please do drop by the School to see the changes since you took these.  I think you will be surprised.

Noone

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2013, 07:07:16 AM »
^ Palms Fish Camp- Who will be getting a million bucks and they never even opened the door? And the flip side to that is who should be disbarred? PS4 is land locked. True? Did anyone go or participate in the Jacksonville Waterways Commission at the 5/15/13 meeting? 2009-442 established by ordinance is the way to go. The Artificial Reef Trust Fund. it is becoming wildly successful.

Nice Pictures. How about a photo shoot of Palms Fish Camp? The floating dock at Shipyards that at the 5/3/13 DIA Subcommittee meeting of the Downtown Experience I was told NO by Tony Allegretti and Paul Crawford if someone wanted to pull up and use it. It should be outside the scope of the RFI. Just like the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier and we all know how that turned out. Timkin, What is the deal with the landlocked PS4 Property?

Timkin

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »

Nice Pictures. How about a photo shoot of Palms Fish Camp? The floating dock at Shipyards that at the 5/3/13 DIA Subcommittee meeting of the Downtown Experience I was told NO by Tony Allegretti and Paul Crawford if someone wanted to pull up and use it. It should be outside the scope of the RFI. Just like the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier and we all know how that turned out. Timkin, What is the deal with the landlocked PS4 Property?

The foundation that bought the entire tract, had the School / Land below the School cut into a separate tract.  a few years ago  that tract ( School and land below the School )was bought up at a tax sale by Tarpon LLC.   So the foundation remains in ownership of the rest of the property all surrounding the School and adjacent lots behind the School's back yard on the College St. side . ( Corner College and Roselle) 

Noone

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »
So it sounds like the Foundation is the bad guy in this. Or shrewd investor. Who is the Foundation?  So Tarpon LLC owns the school and the Foundation owns a 1' 5' 10' whatever piece of land surrounding the school. Interesting. So the Foundation is just sitting on an option to buy.

Hey, I'll still come by one weekend and do some cleanup if you will write a check for 2009-442 the Artificial Reef Trust Fund and I will deliver it personally at city council or Waterways.

Dog Walker

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
Bad news for the school...more damage.

This morning at about 6:30AM a truck traveling at a high rate of speed off of the Fuller Warren Bridge went straight across Park St., down the short piece of Pennsular Place and missed the turn onto Chelsea.  Probably didn't know it was there.  The truck went over the debris pile, blasted through the chain link gates, destroying them, just missed the flag pole and smashed into the wall beside the steps to the front entrance.  That wall was completely destroyed as was the truck.

No information about the condition of the driver at this point.

The poor school just can't catch a break. Now they are running over it.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Josh

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
Snapped a quick shot on the way home to give an idea of what happened. It's hard to imagine this went down as described.

Dog Walker

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 06:00:27 PM »
On our closer examination this afternoon it is obvious that there was no braking attempted before the curve.  It looks like the truck hit the debris pile and went airborne for several yards, hitting the ground near the flag pole.  There might have been some attempt to brake before hitting the wall, maybe not.  Pieces of molded concrete weighing hundreds of pounds were thrown twenty feet.

If the driver wasn't severely injured much credit must be given to modern vehicle safety systems and blind luck.

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
DW, I went back this afternoon and took more pictures from different angles.  I had just pulled in the back  and parked when a group of about 6 start walking in.  I approached them politely, as I always do, and advised that I was there with permission of the owners and that we have been instructed that anyone entering w/o permission we have orders to call JSO immediately.  The one who had stepped inside the fence backed up!  We watched them for a while to see if they kept going, which they did.  I told my daughter to take their picture but she didn't hear me.  I try to take pics. of everyone coming on property and make sure they see me do it.  I may go back by again tomorrow just to check on things.  My concern at present is more fools on the property to look at the damage, possiblytote some away as souvenirs or throw the debris all over simply for the joy of being destructive.

Dog Walker

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2013, 09:17:46 AM »
Thanks for your care, Patsy.

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »
You know how much I love it! :)

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
Our volunteer group led by Timkin was there again this morning.  We cleaned up as much of the devastation as we could..Special thanks to Trish, Brett and Tim who did most of the hard work.  Trish "took one for the team." :(  and Brett did quite a job at "dumpster diving." ;) and Tim, as usual, did some kick-ass work. :P  Autumn also was contributer. ;)  Barbara, Kinsey and I supervised.  Angel also stopped to check things out and offer his input.  Thanks to all!!  Things looked much better at quitting time than when we arrived.  Thanks to Metro Jax for being the only source of information in the event of Thursday morning and Dog Walker for his devotion to all his pet projects

Timkin

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
Particularly surprising about the concrete materials used at the time this building was made is their durability.  The Brick work on the interior of the wall was broken from the impact, yet all the exterior concrete trim pieces and blocks (except the top piece, already damaged and broken, now shattered ) suffered a little chipping but was not broken.  All of that can be put back in place when it is rebuilt...and make no mistake about it, we will put it back like it was ;)

davidgano

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
Patsy/Autumn, Timkin and all -- thanks for... well.. the thanks :)  I'd love to come back by and do some more shots!