Author Topic: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)  (Read 40520 times)

MEGATRON

• MEGATRON IS THE TRUE RULER OF CYBERTRON
Re: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »
I may be wrong Megatron, but I'm pretty sure, the certs sold are pretty much like a passive investment. You would buy the property and the holder of the Tax Certs get paid their interest they are due, city gets the taxes of course.

You are correct, the back taxes would have to be paid of course, usually paid from by the seller from proceeds form the sale. If Tarpon isn't paying the taxes now, I'm sure that's what they are expecting. They are a huge company that buys thousands of tax certs and deeds. I suspect they only way to get them to give it away for what they have in it (including the taxes they haven't paid) is hit them with the Historic "save the school" angle, if they give a hoot about that...who knows.

I don't believe at this point the certificate holders have any say, nor do they care. They just want their interest payment.
Far from an expert in this area but I think someone who has been holding a certificate for at least 2 years can submit an application for a tax deed sale (hence why I say the best bet is contacting the owner of existing certificates if they exist).  If approved, the sale will occur via auction.  If the property is sold at auction, the proceeds go to the tax certificate holder who has already paid off the back taxes.  If the property does not sell at auction, the certificate holder takes title. 
PEACE THROUGH TYRANNY

Timkin

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »
I may be wrong Megatron, but I'm pretty sure, the certs sold are pretty much like a passive investment. You would buy the property and the holder of the Tax Certs get paid their interest they are due, city gets the taxes of course.

You are correct, the back taxes would have to be paid of course, usually paid from by the seller from proceeds form the sale. If Tarpon isn't paying the taxes now, I'm sure that's what they are expecting. They are a huge company that buys thousands of tax certs and deeds. I suspect they only way to get them to give it away for what they have in it (including the taxes they haven't paid) is hit them with the Historic "save the school" angle, if they give a hoot about that...who knows.

I don't believe at this point the certificate holders have any say, nor do they care. They just want their interest payment.

My 2cents on whether Tarpon cares or not about the building being saved:

In a word.   NO

They certainly did not object, however,  when we offered to clean it up and clean it out. :)

So.. has someone  purchased the Tax Certificates?

MEGATRON

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »

In a word.   NO

They certainly did not object, however,  when we offered to clean it up and clean it out. :)

Does not appear that anyone has bid on the certificate.
PEACE THROUGH TYRANNY

dougskiles

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »

In a word.   NO

Does not appear that anyone has bid on the certificate.

So, does it stay for sale until someone bids?

BTW, Timkin, Dogwalker gave me a tour of the building this afternoon.  Your work to preserve this old fortress is inspiring.

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »
God Bless you for that accolade!  Tim deserves so much praise for his efforts.  It is a joy and pleasure to be working alongside him.  I think all of our group would agree.  We are a family, thanks to him, without any feuding.
Glad you had Dog Walker for a guide.  He is great, too. 

Timkin

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »
If Annie Lytle School finds a new life and that beautiful building is saved, it will be totally due to you and your volunteers. Lots of people visit the building but only a rare few are able to see what lies behind that debris and bright vulgarisms. Preservation is a trick of the eye, to see from the current sad condition to the complete whole future and then make it happen.  Tim, I've said it for a long time, you deserve an award.

Jumpinjack.  Thank you so much. Words like yours inspire us. 

I've said this many times, but feel the need to say again, that I could never have accomplished what has been done on my own.  It is the hard work and determination of numbers of kind and diligent people.  All of these individuals deserve recognition.  They have all been selfless and hardworking. 

Our greatest reward would be to see it returned to being in some reasonable state of repair and for it to be a destination for the community, instead of a target for vandalism and a canvas for unattractive tagging.

If I could collect one dollar for every can of spray paint wasted inside that building, we could be well on our way to that goal.

I did, jokingly mention a Wal-mart.    While that would not be preferable, let alone practical ,  I think most of us would opt for that over another weed and trash-infested vacant lot.

We certainly hope this endeavor eventually pays off at some point.  Sooner than later :)

Thank you all for your support!   We resume cleanup this Saturday, and as always , we welcome anyone who wants to help.

Timkin

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:50 AM »

BTW, Timkin, Dogwalker gave me a tour of the building this afternoon.  Your work to preserve this old fortress is inspiring.

Thank you, Doug.   With the amazing crew I am blessed to have helping me, it is taking shape. 

Cleaning up, after 40 years of vandalism in a 40,000 sf 2 story space is quite a task!  But the building is well worth the effort!

Thank you, sir.

MEGATRON

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:41 AM »
Everyone's efforts are admirable.  But, if you really want to save this building, you need to own it.  Form a 501(c)3, raise some cash, and buy it.  If the taxes are not being paid, you may have a golden and unique opportunity.  Right now, while admirable, you are doing janitorial work for the current owner.
PEACE THROUGH TYRANNY

sandyshoes

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »
Timkin, this may be my pie-in-the-sky dreaming again, but what if RAP and Springfield Preservation and any other preservation groups out there purchased it for their collective co-op headquarters - that building would serve as a "living" testimonial to historic preservation.  At least it would be occupied and saved, until someone else could come along with big bucks and a vision.  It's got room for meetings, workshops...? 

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
Sandyshoes, good idea, but for sure pie in the sky.  Where would RAP and SPAR get the money to rehab that building?  It would be them that needed the vision and big bucks, because it can't be occupied as it is.  Besides, SPAR already has a perfectly fine building on Main Street in Springfield.  Interestingly, what you proposed was recently floated as a plan by an interested buyer for the Haydon Burns Library Building...a center for non-profits.

Timkin

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
Great suggestion Sandy, and thank you for bringing it up.   As Debbie pointed out, money is the main factor which stands in the way of purchase and refurbishment of the School.  Money has always been a factor.  As time goes on , the tab for total renovation (in my opinion, only) continues to climb. 

SPAR and RAP have nice locations that are probably suitable for their needs.   At over 44,000 square feet, this space is a bit more than all the preservation groups in town would need, although it is a nice suggestion.

My group , for years had avoided the 501 c3  idea.    It may be necessary to continue.   I would definitely need guidance on that.

A music venue , Art School sounds wonderful . No objection to either of those , but I personally don't think they, alone , could sustain the investment.

A mixed-use development there , along with  Ock's  TOD Station / Skyway extension to the School is a concept I cannot ignore.

The problem there is , I'm not sure if the community, is on board with that idea, or , just as importantly, funding can be made available to make such a concept, viable .

We can dream.   And until something suitable does come to pass, we will continue the janitorial work.  We know the current owner will not, and for it to remain in that state is simply begging the city to demolish. 

We do not want that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:57:19 AM by Timkin »

MEGATRON

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »
So, if I understand this right, you are perfectly willing to hang historic preservation over the head of this and any future owner, weighing down any potential future reuse of the building, but you are unwilling to put in the time raising funds to buy the property at a tax sale?  I think we are talking in the $10,000 range.

If this building's biggest advocates cannot envision an economically feasible and logical use of this building, considering the restoration that is necessary, then it is time to tear down the structure.  Nothing will ever come of the building.
PEACE THROUGH TYRANNY

Timkin

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
So, if I understand this right, you are perfectly willing to hang historic preservation over the head of this and any future owner, weighing down any potential future reuse of the building

Please reference where you saw me post that.

but you are unwilling to put in the time raising funds to buy the property at a tax sale?  I think we are talking in the $10,000 range.

Don't know where you got that from , Megatron.   I stated in my previous post  that we avoided the 501 c3 Idea.  We are entertaining the idea now. If you read the entire post ( I presume you did)  in the next sentence I said  "I would need guidance "   which is fact.  I have no experience in 501c3.  Sorry. Just being honest.

Do you have 12-13 million to put up for paying the back taxes, purchasing , refurbing the  School? 

How about a few million to tear it down?  You do know, if the City had to, it comes from your (and my) taxpayer dollars. 

Thank you for your viewpoint.. :)    We will continue our efforts and to help identify a way to adapt the building to some use.  And whether you feel we are doing something positive toward its development ,or not , the fact is, most every Saturday myself and my group are down there improving it's derelict state.   You are more than welcome to join us, if you are so inclined. 

Nothing will ever come of the building if nothing is all that is ever done to help it.

WE  ARE  trying to do something.  WE ARE looking for a viable solution. 

I am not alone in the "hanging" of historic preservation.  It's previous owner sought local landmark designation for it in 2000 approved by City Council , so apparently they all felt it was worthy.

Your motive in you most recent  post is confusing , at best.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:53:38 AM by Timkin »

MEGATRON

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
So, if I understand this right, you are perfectly willing to hang historic preservation over the head of this and any future owner, weighing down any potential future reuse of the building

Please reference where you saw me post that.

but you are unwilling to put in the time raising funds to buy the property at a tax sale?  I think we are talking in the $10,000 range.

Don't know where you got that from , Megatron.   I stated in my previous post  that we avoided the 501 c3 Idea.  We are entertaining the idea now. If you read the entire post ( I presume you did)  in the next sentence I said  "I would need guidance "   which is fact.  I have no experience in 501c3.  Sorry. Just being honest.

Do you have 12-13 million to put up for paying the back taxes, purchasing , refurbing the  School? 

How about a few million to tear it down?  You do know, if the City had to, it comes from your (and my) taxpayer dollars. 

Thank you for your viewpoint.. :)    We will continue our efforts and to help identify a way to adapt the building to some use.  And whether you feel we are doing something positive toward its development ,or not , the fact is, most every Saturday myself and my group are down there improving it's derelict state.   You are more than welcome to join us, if you are so inclined. 

Nothing will ever come of the building if nothing is all that is ever done to help it.

WE  ARE  trying to do something.  WE ARE looking for a viable solution. 

I am not alone in the "hanging" of historic preservation.  It's previous owner sought local landmark designation for it in 2000 approved by City Council , so apparently they all felt it was worthy.

Your motive in you most recent  post is confusing , at best.
Hold on.  12 to 13 million.  WTF did you get that number?  If that is the number, why do you even bother?  The property is doomed.
PEACE THROUGH TYRANNY

Timkin

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
^ again... Thank you for your viewpoint.   A developer back in 2006 estimated 8-9 million for total renovation of the building.. that did not factor purchase of the entire property ( not just the building.. the building and the land below it is owned by one entity. The surrounding land and adjacent lots by another)   You have to factor : Lighting , Landscaping, Fencing , PARKING, I could go on and on....  The price has not gone down since then.  Almost always , it costs more to rehab an existing building than to go new-build... Not that I speak from experience, but that many old buildings STILL get saved and renovated.   Unfortunately the trend in Jacksonville , is mostly to take them down.   Its not cost effective ..its doomed .. There is no way it can be done.

If Historic Buildings everywhere hinged on this mindset , we would live in a world , void of Older buildings.

I bother because unlike the naysayers of the community who say it can't be done, certainly wouldn't be bothered to get up , get out and actually do something to help....  I care, my team cares , and we will continue to do what we're doing until a way to put the place back to use is identified.

Your opinion: The property is doomed.  I disagree.

Feel free to continue.   We intend to.