Author Topic: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)  (Read 39741 times)

dougskiles

Re: Annie Lytle Public School (Public School # 4)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
What if it were preserved in its current state, made safe for some kind of "indoor/outdoor" use that didn't require HVAC, but not restored to its original state?

Timkin

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 03:54:54 AM »
What if it were preserved in its current state, made safe for some kind of "indoor/outdoor" use that didn't require HVAC, but not restored to its original state?

Can you elaborate on your idea ?   

Do you mean leave the roof off of the Auditorium?  No windows, doors, lighting, plumbing?   No roof  on the main building?

dougskiles

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 05:01:16 AM »
Ideas haven't been developed yet.  I am looking forward to seeing I firsthand, and maybe some will come forth.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »
I think in its current state it would make a great live music venue.  No need for a roof, would be cost effective, noise concerns would be minimal (it is next to the highway) and with a burgeoning neighborhood developing around it you'll have a market within walking distance.

dougskiles

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 08:26:13 AM »
^That would be very cool.

How about a community art school?

One of my favorite places (anywhere) is the Sloss Furnace site in Birmingham, AL.  They preserved the original structures and basically turned it over to the local arts community for teaching blacksmithing, welding, casting, etc.  Artists can rent space (cheap) and then have access to the forge and furnaces.  We don't have anything like that in Jacksonville (that I know of).

It is worth taking a trip to Birmingham just to see this place:
http://slossfurnaces.com/

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 09:23:17 AM »

Yes, it most certainly is and that is a great idea.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

sandyshoes

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
Sloss Furnaces was on TAPS - it's haunted, according to their findings.  You can probably pull it up and watch the episode.  Too bad all the local stories about Annie being haunted have already been poo-pooed;  would have made a nice episode for them. 

Dog Walker

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
Well, Annie was haunted-sort of-for a while.  There were reports of strange wailing and hissing noises in the school.  Scared the daylights out of some intruders.

We later found remains of pigeons and squirrels under a big hole in the ceiling where it was obvious that a family of Barn Owls had nested.  Barns Owls are responsible for a lot of "haunted" buildings.
When all else fails hug the dog.

davidgano

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
To all who like my photos -- a sincere thank you. I photographed the building a few times, but this excursion on New Years Day was fantastic. Thanks also to those making the effort to save the structure; I can't imagine the work it will take.

sonoandrea

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
@dougskiles - i don't know if the forge will be available for rent, but there is a blacksmithing going into CoRK next month who will be offering classes.

I thought Annie Lytle/PS4 would be awesome as a Southern Rock and Blues museum with the auditorium available for performances

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »
Sandy Shoes, lord, God, no!!!  We have enough problems with trespassers and vandals.  Ghost Hunters would only draw more attention to it.  And ghost stories and the such is one of the draws for the trouble makers.  I go into the building Saturdays and some weekdays, too.  The only thing scary is the dark parks.  NO GHOSTS!  We have pretty much run the vagrants out by getting rid of their belongings.

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 07:48:14 PM »
davidgano, we invite you to drop by one Saturday mid morning and check out the progress we are making.  It is like night and day.
And to DogWalker.  We thank you for setting some of the rumors straight.  Such a bunch of stupid crap. 

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
^That would be very cool.

How about a community art school?

One of my favorite places (anywhere) is the Sloss Furnace site in Birmingham, AL.  They preserved the original structures and basically turned it over to the local arts community for teaching blacksmithing, welding, casting, etc.  Artists can rent space (cheap) and then have access to the forge and furnaces.  We don't have anything like that in Jacksonville (that I know of).

I think a shared workspace for metal workers and craftsmen is certainly needed in Jacksonville.

Do you have an owner though (Tarpon) that is willing to be a landlord?  If not, who buys it (and deals with the subsequent land lease issues) just to rent it out to users that would probably have fairly high turnover?   

I just think a motivated owner with just a little bit of money could purchase the building (for a very modest profit to the investor) and rehab it pretty cheaply (it would be better off as raw as possible in that form) and host live events out of it.  Seems to be one of the most cost effective uses.   

Just thinking about the very large elephant in the room: the economic aspect of the building's current situation.

Now that the area underneath the bridge will be coming to life, and a surrounding neighborhood is springing to life around it... it's certainly one of the best times in decades to spark the conversation in a constructive manner.   

sheclown

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
Tarpon is the death of significant buildings.  Totally unresponsive. 

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »
she clown, you said it well in just those few words