Author Topic: 2012 Metropolitan Area Census Estimates Released  (Read 4791 times)

vicupstate

Re: 2012 Metropolitan Area Census Estimates Released
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »
Based on my own travels and the reputations of the cities listed, Jax would rank near the bottom of the top 50-55 cities by size, if you looked ONLY at DT vibrancy.  The good news is that the city ranks well in all OTHER Quality of Life factors. 

If the city can only crack that nut, it's potential is as good as any city.  Leadership and vision are the missing elements. Time is running out for Brown to show that he gets it, and can get the job done.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Shine

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
I think you have to consider that Down Town is not the only game in town.  If we paid as much attention to the “community” of Jacksonville, we would probably get a lot more positive growth.  If you look at the resources and strategy for DT, it is abundant.  Look at other sections of town that seem to be starved for direction.  You cannot even put up a sign on your property in DT without meeting strict guidelines and architectural approval.  Off Hodges Blvd where I live, there are half dozen signs that are not even permitted/legal.  Can’t just fix DT, have to fix the community.  Need more DT like thinking and commitment working its way out to the boundaries of the city.  Need to think of a city as a "system:" connected parts working together.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I think you have to consider that Down Town is not the only game in town.  If we paid as much attention to the “community” of Jacksonville, we would probably get a lot more positive growth.

I definitely agree! That's another reason why I'm a huge proponent of the mobility plan and fee concept.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »

If we could achieve 25% of the vibrancy and activity it had in 2009, by 2015, we'd be doing great in our efforts to revitalize downtown Jacksonville.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??!! Is this some secret weapon Cleveland is deploying? Wonder if we could buy one? Oh My! Bet that thing would help rocket us forward! ???

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »
Lol, rumor has it that the thing in the front is known as fixed transit. The weird structure behind the trees is something called infill TOD.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
So I know people are trying to put a positive light on growth, or the reduction thereof for most metros, and how we can focus on smart growth now and catch up our infrastructure, but I just ran a few numbers, and I'll let you guys decide what they mean....

This is a list of 18 Sunbelt metros, and I included Atlanta with 5 core counties for comparison, since it is a Sunbelt metro that has grown up in the same timeframe as all the others and has all the same challenges.  What 2020 Population might look like based on daily compounding of growth.

I also include Raleigh-Durham CSA, because for anyone who has been there, it's just stupid that it's split up (just as stupid as splitting San Jose from San Francisco, if not moreso).  Same with Salt Lake...anyone who has been there or driven/flown up to skiing areas easily realizes that Ogden is just a few miles north of Salt Lake City's DT, yet 2 different MSAs...stupid (all 3 of these CSAs, Bay Area, Triangle, SLC, used to be single MSAs).

What metro growth rate is looking like at this point:

For this last one, I isolated the core counties (VA is just too time consuming and difficult and subjective, and Tucson is just one county).  For Raleigh, I included Wake and Durham, and for Atlanta I included Fulton and Dekalb.  I took the growth in the core counties and compared to the growth of the overall metro.  This should say a little bit about how the growth of each metro is occuring...is it in suburan counties or the central county?  Also, take into consideration the density of these counties...are they really at a density where suburban growth literally should account for most growth?  And even so, both SF and NYC, the two densest cities in America, are seeing spectacular growth within their most urban areas...

For a few isolate metros.

Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005