Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville: The George Washington Hotel  (Read 6626 times)

Timkin

Re: Lost Jacksonville: The George Washington Hotel
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
Just one of many amazing buildings razed to make way for a blighted empty lot. Along with all that razing went many of the downtown destinations.

Some would call this progress.   ::)

BackinJax05

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
^^ Yes, but at least it wasnt allowed to deteriorate away like the Bostwick, Ambassador Hotel, Laura Street Trio + old Barnett across the street.

I still say the HGW, Robert Meyer, and Seminole could have been recyled into newer hotels or condos. (Same could be said for the Floridan & Heard National Bank)

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
amen! 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
^^ Yes, but at least it wasnt allowed to deteriorate away like the Bostwick, Ambassador Hotel, Laura Street Trio + old Barnett across the street.

How many years did the Carling, YMCA, and St. James stand empty before being renovated?  If allowed to remain standing instead of immediately being torn down after closing, the GW would have probably been renovated by now, given its history and significance.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BackinJax05

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »

How many years did the Carling, YMCA, and St. James stand empty before being renovated?  If allowed to remain standing instead of immediately being torn down after closing, the GW would have probably been renovated by now, given its history and significance.

I know. I was being sarcastic. Guess I should have said so.  :)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
lol, my bad.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BackinJax05

L.P. Hovercraft

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Bump...

Here's a bit more about the Beatles' visit to Jacksonville in '64 from Philly reporter Larry Kane:

Press guy Derek Taylor arranged for me to come to a room where the guys were hanging out, and for a change, I had some news for them. My station in Miami had advised me that the management of the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., where they would be playing Sept. 11, 1964, stated firmly that the stadium would be segregated, which was standard at some locations in those days.

As I entered the room, I told the band's manager, Brian Epstein, and the boys about the Jacksonville concert. Paul got up from the sofa and defiantly said, "We are not going to play there." John was even more blunt. He said, "No f- chance of that happening." Ringo and George agreed. Brian stood in silence in the corner of the room, but he knew very well his Fabs would never relent.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-02-10/news/47171476_1_band-concert-jacksonville
"Let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved.  And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity."
--John F. Kennedy, 6/10/1963