Author Topic: Shoddy Construction: Aloft hotel in South Jacksonville forced to close  (Read 15230 times)

RockStar

Re: Shoddy Construction: Aloft hotel in South Jacksonville forced to close
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
Aloft is also pet friendly without charging extra and has free wifi. The bar is decent and they at least take a stab at making a legitimate cocktail. I paid $70/nt at the one in Tally. You can't beat it.

I wouldn't use it for a vacation spot, but it's a great road hotel.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »

Or better yet, open up something cooler that doesnt use jingoistic phrases for 'pool'?

?

that wasnt directed at you adam or meant in a challenging kind of way.  But it would be nice to develop the idea of accomodations as Third Place in greater iterations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

I agree that 'splash' is a bit jingoistic---although that certainly isnt a dealbreaker for me.

My main issue was that I thought If I Loved You's statement was a bit of a false dichotomy or whatever - that if you don't like Aloft, then you have to accept shitty hotels as your only other alternative. I generally like hotels that are like Aloft (admittedly, I've not been to Aloft, I only read about it, but I'm familiar with the concept) - so I know that there are other options out there that don't have kooky names for pools or don't seem to try so hard to be 'different' or whatever.

When I read about the 'aloha' thing, it reminded me somehow of Moe's. How when you walk into Moe's and everyone yells, "Welcome to Moe's" at you. That irritates me - though it didn't stop me from going there, apparently  ::)
(My main issue was that I thought If I Loved You's statement was a bit of a false dichotomy or whatever - that if you don't like Aloft, then you have to accept shitty hotels as your only other alternative.) Adam W. if you go back to why I said this you will find that BackinJax05 said (What a stupid concept. Just gimme a room. Forget all the cutesy sh t!) and this is why I said stay at a Motel 6, Ramada or a Knights Inn.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »

Or better yet, open up something cooler that doesnt use jingoistic phrases for 'pool'?

?

that wasnt directed at you adam or meant in a challenging kind of way.  But it would be nice to develop the idea of accomodations as Third Place in greater iterations.

I agree that 'splash' is a bit jingoistic---although that certainly isnt a dealbreaker for me.

My main issue was that I thought If I Loved You's statement was a bit of a false dichotomy or whatever - that if you don't like Aloft, then you have to accept shitty hotels as your only other alternative. I generally like hotels that are like Aloft (admittedly, I've not been to Aloft, I only read about it, but I'm familiar with the concept) - so I know that there are other options out there that don't have kooky names for pools or don't seem to try so hard to be 'different' or whatever.

When I read about the 'aloha' thing, it reminded me somehow of Moe's. How when you walk into Moe's and everyone yells, "Welcome to Moe's" at you. That irritates me - though it didn't stop me from going there, apparently  ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCNnOOkRaGY

Adam W

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »

?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCNnOOkRaGY

You know, I wasn't going to reply, but then you posted this, so I feel you've given me no choice.

You complain that people say you're a troll and that they don't take you seriously, etc. I have attempted to engage you and respond to your posts and give you the benefit of the doubt. And this is how you respond to a bit of criticism? I won't bother anymore.

BackinJax05

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »

?

(My main issue was that I thought If I Loved You's statement was a bit of a false dichotomy or whatever - that if you don't like Aloft, then you have to accept shitty hotels as your only other alternative.) Adam W. if you go back to why I said this you will find that BackinJax05 said (What a stupid concept. Just gimme a room. Forget all the cutesy sh t!) and this is why I said stay at a Motel 6, Ramada or a Knights Inn.

And I STILL think its a stupid concept. That is my opinion about the hotel, and sissy boutique hotels in general. It was not - and still is not - a personal attack on anyone who likes that kind of stuff. If someone likes Aloft, fine. Enjoy your trip and stay safe.  :D

As for me, I'll pass on Motel 6, Ramada, or Knights Inn. They cost a little more, but you cant go wrong with Marriott.

PS: You left Red Roof Inn off the bad hotels list. They should be called Red LIGHT Inn, especially the one in Southpoint on any Saturday night.  :-*  :'(  8)

Adam W

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 06:19:32 AM »

?

And I STILL think its a stupid concept. That is my opinion about the hotel, and sissy boutique hotels in general. It was not - and still is not - a personal attack on anyone who likes that kind of stuff. If someone likes Aloft, fine. Enjoy your trip and stay safe.  :D

As for me, I'll pass on Motel 6, Ramada, or Knights Inn. They cost a little more, but you cant go wrong with Marriott.

PS: You left Red Roof Inn off the bad hotels list. They should be called Red LIGHT Inn, especially the one in Southpoint on any Saturday night.  :-*  :'(  8)

I think Marriott hotels are usually pretty nice - of course, with chains, it often comes down to the individual location. Newer ones tend to be nicer than older ones, etc. But as a brand, I think Marriott tends to know what they're doing.

We recently stayed in a brand new Ramada and it was really nice. Granted it was brand new and it was in Amsterdam, so it probably wasn't your run-of-the mill Ramada. But it had the boutique kind of feel to it without the cheesy elements described in the Wikipedia article about Aloft hotels.

I totally understand your gripes about Aloft. I want a nice room. Hell, I want a nice-looking room. And I do appreciate or prefer hotels that put more thought into design - I think it makes a difference. I get tired of staying in rooms that all look and feel the same. But the cutesy shit just seems so patronizing.

It's a shame about the hotel, though. I hope they can sort it out and reopen.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »

?

I have stayed at a lot of different Marriott hotels over the years and I really like the fact that they are 100% smoke free. Great for the guests and great for the employee's.  ;)

BackinJax05

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
^^ Smoke free hotels are the greatest thing since sliced bread! ^^

Having worked in hotels that had the old "smoking rooms", NOTHING gets rid of the stench of stale cigarettes. We'd change the sheets - all the way down to the mattress - and change the towels. Then blast the room with air freshener. The air freshener worked for a few minutes, but the stench would always come back.

Hopefully Alofts are smoke free, though I'll never find out  ;)

BackinJax05

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
I totally understand your gripes about Aloft. I want a nice room. Hell, I want a nice-looking room. And I do appreciate or prefer hotels that put more thought into design - I think it makes a difference. I get tired of staying in rooms that all look and feel the same. But the cutesy shit just seems so patronizing.

The Holiday Inn & Conference Center in Ocala claims to be a boutique hotel. Its a nice place. Yes, it has some of the cutesy shit we both know and love, but they keep it subtle :)

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »

The Holiday Inn & Conference Center in Ocala claims to be a boutique hotel. Its a nice place. Yes, it has some of the cutesy shit we both know and love, but they keep it subtle :)
Holiday Inn feels they are keeping up with the times at this Ocala, Fl hotel. which is owned by the InterContinental  Hotels Group. As is Holiday Inn Express, StayBridge Suites, CandleWood Suites, Hotel Indigo, Crowne Plaza Hotels and Resorts and InterContinental Hotels and Resorts. I have stayed at  StayBridge Suites,  Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels across America. I have found some of the original Holiday Inn's to be old and not up to date and over priced in general. The best value to me in this Hotel Group is the Holiday Inn Express and the StayBridge Suites as long as you don't go during a high peak time of the season or date in general.

BackinJax05

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
^^ The Holiday Inn at Ocala, like all Holiday Inns, is STAY AND KIDS EAT FREE!

Some of my best family vacation memories are stopping at the roadside Holiday Inns (with the enormous sign out front), swimming in the questionably clean pool, and eating the bland, cliche' food in the restaurant - for free.

If Aloft can top Holiday Inn's original concept, I'll stay with them  :)