Author Topic: Shoddy Construction: Aloft hotel in South Jacksonville forced to close  (Read 15222 times)

BackinJax05

Re: Shoddy Construction: Aloft hotel in South Jacksonville forced to close
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
I can't stand Aloft...it's like staying in a college dorm room. Not sure what the fuss is about. I'd take Hotel Indigo any day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloft_Hotels

What a stupid concept. Just gimme a room. Forget all the cutesy sh t!  :)

Overstreet

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
I remember this going up. From the comments about the stuff coming up through the tiles and the scaffolding of the building exterior what looks like EFIS I suspect they have water intrusion problems. The cost may go higher once they open up the walls. 

Hotels, resturants, retail chains often use contractors they have a previous relationship with. Which means they will be an out of town contractor somewhere.   I suspect too the architect and water proofing consultants were charged for "economical" design details. 

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
I can't stand Aloft...it's like staying in a college dorm room. Not sure what the fuss is about. I'd take Hotel Indigo any day.

Well I'm glad for Aloft, Hyatt Place, Spring Hill Suites etc etc etc. If you don't then stay at a Motel 6, Ramada, Knights Inn etc etc etc but bring your gun?

Adam W

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »

Well I'm glad for Aloft, Hyatt Place, Spring Hill Suites etc etc etc. If you don't then stay at a Motel 6, Ramada, Knights Inn etc etc etc but bring your gun?

There are plenty of nice (and stylish, well-appointed) hotels that don't feel the need to call the pool 'splash' or greet guests with 'aloha'.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
Since I get pretty decent discounts via a family member employed by the Marriott chain, I've never stayed at Aloft.  How does it compare with a Springhill Suites, Residence Inn or Courtyard by Marriott?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
Or better yet, open up something cooler that doesnt use jingoistic phrases for 'pool'?

Or confuse words like urban, hip and trendy with cheap, pre-fabricated and lowest bidder.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
Or better yet, open up something cooler that doesnt use jingoistic phrases for 'pool'?

Or confuse words like urban, hip and trendy with cheap, pre-fabricated and lowest bidder.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy-S III

Fixed.   ;)
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Adam W

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »

?

Adam W

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

?

that wasnt directed at you adam or meant in a challenging kind of way.  But it would be nice to develop the idea of accomodations as Third Place in greater iterations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

I agree that 'splash' is a bit jingoistic---although that certainly isnt a dealbreaker for me.

My main issue was that I thought If I Loved You's statement was a bit of a false dichotomy or whatever - that if you don't like Aloft, then you have to accept shitty hotels as your only other alternative. I generally like hotels that are like Aloft (admittedly, I've not been to Aloft, I only read about it, but I'm familiar with the concept) - so I know that there are other options out there that don't have kooky names for pools or don't seem to try so hard to be 'different' or whatever.

When I read about the 'aloha' thing, it reminded me somehow of Moe's. How when you walk into Moe's and everyone yells, "Welcome to Moe's" at you. That irritates me - though it didn't stop me from going there, apparently  ::)

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
I stayed in an aloft in downtown Tallahassee last time I was there. I appreciated the inexpensive rates, the location, and the "boutique hotel" vibe (and bar). For the price it was a good experience, much better than the Holiday Inn off the interstate and similar options.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

fsquid

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »
I stay in them mainly because they have a bar and the people staying in them are around my age.  When I'm in a larger city, I usually go Westin.

Riverrat

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »
Since I get pretty decent discounts via a family member employed by the Marriott chain, I've never stayed at Aloft.  How does it compare with a Springhill Suites, Residence Inn or Courtyard by Marriott?

They don't really compare to any of the Marriott brands...a new Courtyard would be the closest, but even then, not really.

This is a newer concept of hotels deemed "lifestyle brands" or "select service" hotels.

They are more like Hyatt's "Hyatt Place" and InterContinental/Crowne Plaza's "Hotel Indigo"

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
Thanks. I think I've stayed in a Hyatt Place once.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BackinJax05

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »

Well good for you! ;)

BackinJax05

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »

There are plenty of nice (and stylish, well-appointed) hotels that don't feel the need to call the pool 'splash' or greet guests with 'aloha'.

Thanx, Adam.  :)