Author Topic: Major Infill Headed To Springfield's Main Street  (Read 7184 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
Re: Major Infill Headed To Springfield's Main Street
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
In all honesty, Bob Mann, Ennis, Stephen and others have been on the front side of this discussion for a long time.  I always remain hopeful that long closed eyes will open.  The problem has always been the money, favors offered and connections lobbyists have.  We can no longer let their efforts overshadow the good things that are possible in this city if and when those we elect begin to listen to experts outside of their personal circles and rather to the community at large and the individuals among them with the expertise that is often lacking in those closed circles.  Politicians need to remain mindful that they are employed by the voters and citizens not the lobbyists.   When the people keep this reality at the front of their interactions with politicians and back up their views with their voices and votes, things can and will change.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:24:50 PM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Garden guy

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »
Itll take more than sweet talkin..itll take a fundamental change in action...becoming proactive instead of reactive...most of our leaders cant think past their own time at the helm.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
Itll take more than sweet talkin..itll take a fundamental change in action...becoming proactive instead of reactive...most of our leaders cant think past their own time at the helm.
Indeed.  Many of us have been proactive for a very long time.  We need more folks to wake up to the reality that their efforts and ideas can change the direction of Jacksonville. We all have a voice, use it.  If you are reading here, you understand both the impact of the internet and social media, use that too.  "Time's a wastin" people and Jacksonville is "wastin" along with it. Don't let that remain the status quo please!
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
We got you a local funding mechanism two years ago (mobility fee). We just need to collect it and keep it from being used on something else.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »
Gee.....if only they hadn't decided on a moratorium right after they passed it......

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »
Again, times are changing and so is the political mood in Jacksonville.  The internet will be what makes the difference in local politics in it's ability to inform, expose and bring issues to the forefront.  The importance of people stepping up, contact politicians and insisting on what is right for Jacksonville as opposed to right for NE Florida Builders and others cannot be underestimated. 
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »

At least the book will be out next year, from Arcadia.

I'd love to take the city council boys and girls out to a nice heritage streetcar operation, I'd savor the chance to teach Richard Clark and his friends how to work on the overhead... OH SHIT! Who plugged it back in? Damn! Oops.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

At least the book will be out next year, from Arcadia.

I'd love to take the city council boys and girls out to a nice heritage streetcar operation, I'd savor the chance to teach Richard Clark and his friends how to work on the overhead... OH SHIT! Who plugged it back in? Damn! Oops.
Bob, Goal is 2015 and finding the candidates who "get it" about streetcars, rail and all things transportation.  Time we are all "plugged in" again.  lol
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Koula

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 11:00:43 AM »
I also hope funding pulls through for this project. My mom is close to retirement, and she would love to move to a walkable part of Jacksonville. If this project, the street car, and maybe a few more food options, get built in Springfield, the area would be really great for car-free folks!

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
Koula, there are already multiple bus routes through Springfield, so I'd say it's already a great choice for car free folks.

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »
Koula, there are already multiple bus routes through Springfield, so I'd say it's already a great choice for car free folks.

With only the CT1 and L9 left running up Main Street in Springfield I wouldn't say that is "multiple bus routes", but it is only a ten minute walk from this proposed site to Rosa Parks, so this is one of the few areas in Jax you can live without a car today.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
L9 runs down Pearl Street. So does NS19. All three blocks from the project.  C2 runs down 8th Street.   There are probably others, but those are the ones that come to my mind.