Author Topic: February 2008 Downtown Construction Update  (Read 8861 times)

reednavy

Re: February 2008 Downtown Construction Update
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
I'm sad to report, The Peninsula's tower crane is currently disassembling itsself as I type this. I'm watchin from a distance at NAS JAX, kinda sad. :(
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
Would they really build another tower if the other was sinking?   ??? 

Good question. Maybe they figured it would eventually settle. Either way, that land east of Bay Street is a little suspect once you pass Liberty. I hope they get it developed though.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Basstacular

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
Construction on the tower and clean-up on the garage are set to resume very, very soon (the coming days).  I find it extremely hard to believe the city, insurance companies and every other lawyer or engineer involved would give a greenlight to resume construction if they felt the soil below was not able to support this structure or that that was the reason for the garage collapse.  This project is moving forward, will be completed and all the concerns will be put to rest very soon.  You can take that to the bank from someone who is very informed about this project.

Basstacular

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »
reednavy
March 1, 2008, 10:36 am

I'm sad to report, The Peninsula's tower crane is currently disassembling itsself as I type this. I'm watchin from a distance at NAS JAX, kinda sad. 

I am not trying to be sarcastic at all, but don't they usually take the crane down one the building is complete.  The Peninsula is virtually finished on the outside and the crane doesn't seem to be needed.  Isn't that a good thing?

fhrathore

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 08:00:41 PM »
so when is construction gonna re-start on Berkman II...

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »
reednavy
March 1, 2008, 10:36 am

I'm sad to report, The Peninsula's tower crane is currently disassembling itsself as I type this. I'm watchin from a distance at NAS JAX, kinda sad. 

I am not trying to be sarcastic at all, but don't they usually take the crane down one the building is complete.  The Peninsula is virtually finished on the outside and the crane doesn't seem to be needed.  Isn't that a good thing?

It is a good thing, but at the same time tower cranes are a sign of growth and unless they are replaced by a crane on another site then their removal can also mark the end of the boom.  Its a bittersweet sign.

reednavy

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »
Here's to BP 2 to getting started shortly. It'll definetly be a great thing to get this done. Now, if only Shipyards would make a renaissance return!

Basstacular

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »
Speaking of the Shipyards property, which in my opinion is crucial in building and attracting some sort of commercial space and devlopment to bridge the sports district with the current and any future Bay street business.  My questions is in regard to any rumors that LandMar was in negotiation with a major hotel chain to sell off a piece of the property to them.  I've heard all sorts of rumors, but nothing solid.  Does anyone have any word on this? 

P.S.  Demolition team just left with the first bin of debris from BP2 garage.  Clean-up has started, and construction will resume right behind it.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »
Speaking of the Shipyards property, which in my opinion is crucial in building and attracting some sort of commercial space and devlopment to bridge the sports district with the current and any future Bay street business.  My questions is in regard to any rumors that LandMar was in negotiation with a major hotel chain to sell off a piece of the property to them.  I've heard all sorts of rumors, but nothing solid.  Does anyone have any word on this?

I hadn't heard that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised, especially considering the fantastic housing market.

Basstacular

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »
 BP2 is scheduled to begin construction back on the tower first of next week.  Both the clean-up on garage, which has started and construction starting back on the tower are supposed to start slowly and really pick-up steam and move along rapidly.  A three month delay is not nearly as long as it could of been given the magnitude of this accident.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
I'm actually suprised that things are moving forward so soon.  I figured (because someone died) that there would be at least a 6 month hiatus.

Basstacular

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »
I truly think the city had some influence in getting this project back on track.  O.S.H.A could have shut the site down for six months if they wanted, so Downtown should feel fortunate it was only a three month delay.  The report is now Spring of 2009 completion, which would not be bad.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
I'm curious what will happen to the price of the units - What them go down, but HOA's will go us because of insurance.

reednavy

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »
I'm actually surprised as well. Also, it leaves us with the only remaining tower crane in JAX, besides the several working at the Northside Generating Station. Hopefully 2009 will be a good year, all I know is, 2008 is going to be a long, rough year for the economy. Is it November yet?!

Basstacular

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
Take a peak at BP2, the remaining part of the garage is demolished and CST is starting to haul debris away.  Tower construction should commence soon.  Keep the faith for Downtown residential, there still are buyers out there.