Author Topic: Live blogging DIA  (Read 73508 times)

Noone

Re: Live blogging DIA
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:52 AM »
DIA (Downtown Is Adrift) Board meeting today at 2pm. City Hall. Open to the Public. Will there be any media there? Spoke with Aundra Wallace last night at the 1/26/16 Jacksonville city council meeting about 2016-18 our FIND projects. Asked him if the DIA had been given a presentation on any of these Waterway projects in the CRA/DIA zone. "No." Was his response. We are so LOST.

2016-18 is active legislation. Still needs to go through Finance and RCDPHS. Will UNF, JU show up? How about the Riverkeeper? How about the National Park Service given the Projects.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:17:02 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #421 on: January 27, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »
An hour out. Anyone going?

Noone

« Reply #422 on: January 28, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »
So the parking lot behind the old courthouse is coming out as part of the liberty Street improvements. Instead it will be open water. Apparently as a marina

This was agenda item IV D Liberty Street Improvements- Public Works. John Pappas gave an informative update. Expected completion would be about 22 months out.

vicupstate

« Reply #423 on: January 28, 2016, 05:56:46 AM »
I guess there goes any idea of a Convention Center there.  Of course there is no money for one anyway.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #424 on: January 28, 2016, 06:34:10 AM »
So the parking lot behind the old courthouse is coming out as part of the liberty Street improvements. Instead it will be open water. Apparently as a marina
Yes. Doing that will save th city millions, as opposed to replacing it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #425 on: January 28, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
At the 1/27/16 DIA Board meeting the Water Taxi issue was brought up. Also it was brought to the attention of the DIA Board about active Jacksonville city council legislation 2016-18 The 2016 FIND Grant Projects. This will be in Finance and RCDPHS. Will anyone representing the St. Johns Riverkeeper, UNF, JU, DIA, National Park Service be at these committee meetings? DIA/Shipyards has also gone from 150 marina slips to 400. Has that been reported anywhere?

PeeJayEss

« Reply #426 on: January 28, 2016, 01:46:14 PM »

So any details on the Riverwalk there? Will it be following the land, bridging the gap (following current path), or being forgotten about completely? I guessing (but hoping not) the last.

I guess there goes any idea of a Convention Center there.  Of course there is no money for one anyway.

I don't think that parking lot would be sufficient for a convention center anyway, unless you want to add another parking structure to the river view. Probably be better served by a parking structure, though I don't know where you'd put it. Or you could skip the parking altogether, and put that money toward extending the Skyway another 6 blocks (better yet, 16 or so blocks).

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #427 on: January 28, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
The riverwalk will follow the land. I'll see if I can dig up the old thread about this project from a few months back.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

« Reply #428 on: January 28, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »

So any details on the Riverwalk there? Will it be following the land, bridging the gap (following current path), or being forgotten about completely? I guessing (but hoping not) the last.

I don't think that parking lot would be sufficient for a convention center anyway, unless you want to add another parking structure to the river view. Probably be better served by a parking structure, though I don't know where you'd put it. Or you could skip the parking altogether, and put that money toward extending the Skyway another 6 blocks (better yet, 16 or so blocks).

Supposedly, the convention center could still be built on pylons over the water. The ones supporting the parking lot would not have been able to carry the weight and it would have had to be done anyway. But anything involving the convention center is now a long way off.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Marle Brando

« Reply #429 on: January 28, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »
I for one am happy that the decision was made to do away with the parking lot. In my opinion this would actually enhance that particular part of the riverwalk next to the Hyatt and Berkman especially if a marina can be placed there later on. I would give up on the idea of a new convention center taking the place of the old courthouse and focus more on its inclusion into the shipyards proposal to replace the practice facility portion in the old renderings, or find space between the sports district surface lots, metro park, or the kids park. Afterall, this area will be where all the sports and entertainment venues will be and a convention center within the sports district would complement and anchor the new developments on that end. Building a center on pylons over the water in the current courthouse spot would prove to be hella expensive i would think. Id rather see housing in the old annex and either raze the old courthouse and replace it with central park or more bars and clubs along bay.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »
I'm sure noone has already said this at least 10,000x already, but if they put in a marina I'd love for it to be more open/usable to general public and small craft friendly. This would be an excellent spot for kayak, swan/dragon boat, SUP, canoe and small sail boat rental/launching. Would love to see something like what New Jersey has...

FlaBoy

« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2016, 12:12:08 AM »
They could do something very nice when they remove the parking lot. Unless Florida Coastal ends up taking the old courthouse, it would be a great location for a convention center.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »
The riverwalk will follow the land. I'll see if I can dig up the old thread about this project from a few months back.

Here you go!

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/189050-liberty-street-fix-highlights-jax-cip-budget-discussion-finance-backs-2-year-plan

Say what you want ... but this administration is off to a strong start in my opinion.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,23616.msg423212.html#msg423212

quote from the article in the icarus link:

Sam Mousa, from the Curry administration, spoke next of the “$37 million capital improvement project” that would remove and replace the afflicted sections of Liberty Street and Coastline Drive, and demolish the section of Coastline between Market Street and Liberty, and the courthouse parking deck.

The recommendations:

Replacing Coastline between Newnan and Market.
Replacing and extending the Liberty Street Bridge to the St. Johns River
Removing the section of Coastline between Market and Liberty
Removing the Courthouse Parking Deck.
Providing streetscape improvements to rerouted sections of the Northbank Riverwalk.

The time is now to act: “Contractors are not quite as hungry as they were, so they are able to jack up their prices a little.”

Mousa described it as a “final fix for the area,” committed to after concluding that repairs weren’t possible.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
I'm sure noone has already said this at least 10,000x already, but if they put in a marina I'd love for it to be more open/usable to general public and small craft friendly. This would be an excellent spot for kayak, swan/dragon boat, SUP, canoe and small sail boat rental/launching. Would love to see something like what New Jersey has...

I'm all for more river access for small and self-powered watercraft, but I don't think this location is one where you want to be encouraging access. Noone has been on the river and knows what he's doing, but if someone that hasn't been on the river (or isn't a very strong paddler) were to put in right there, they could get in some trouble if it isn't close to slack tide.

Though maybe I'm being too much of a worrier. Kayakers can already pretty easily put in at RCBC or the Landing, and it doesn't seem that newbies have really been drawn to doing that. Though at those two places you are basically starting out in the river, whereas this new area would be pretty protected, possibly misleading some.

Noone

« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2016, 03:28:59 AM »
Will the DIA be there today at the 2/1/16 9:30 am  Finance meeting to answer questions about the 2016 FIND Grant Project List that contains Downtown Water Projects? PeeJayEss is spot on with his concerns and I echo them. This spot opened up will be positive and create a very large basin area. This is the Berkman marina instead of being Private will be Public.

The concern for anyone paddling in the river in our 4.8 mile DIA Rivers Edge zone should be safety zones. This spot will give and provide a nice landing area that can accommodate everyone. And it should. At the 1/27/16 DIA Board meeting John Pappas with Public Works told everyone that right now this project will be done in about 22 months. Let's all remember that we are starting A Maritime Management Plan 2013-380 with a 3 year process that will use FIND Grant money. Nassau county is out? Stay Positive.