Author Topic: John Steuart Curry's "Parade to War" at The Cummer  (Read 3910 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
John Steuart Curry's "Parade to War" at The Cummer
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:15:24 AM »
John Steuart Curry's "Parade to War" at The Cummer

One of The Cummer Museum of Art & Garden's most popular pieces is John Steuart Curry's "Parade to War, Allegory." The piece created by Curry during the Great Depression and right before World War II exemplifies the multiple veins of American sentiment during that era.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-sep-john-steuart-currys-parade-to-war-at-the-cummer

civil42806

Re: John Steuart Curry's
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
Well since no one else is going to comment.  The first time I went to the cummer, I was stunned to see this painting there.  I was very familiar with it but had no idea it was there, then my second surprise was the magnificent portrait of andrew jackson.  The artist was right but unfortunately at the wrong time.

TheCat

Re: John Steuart Curry's \
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
@civil42806, when I first saw this painting I was still in high school...I was surprised by it. I was under the obviously inaccurate impression that the entire country was for America's involvement in WWII, even if it was begrudgingly.

Curry's painting spurred me to think about the anti-war groups in America at that time.  Which if I remember correctly were people who believed in an insulated/isolated America.

Wikipedia has a superficial overview of the opposition to World War II. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposition_to_World_War_II

It's such a depressing piece. No hope. Just a march to death. The soldiers are painted like skeletons. Dead even before they are in war.

Well, maybe a little hope in the unknowing kids playing.

The opportunist photographer seems excited to get that good shot. Happy about creating good content and less concerned with the significance of the march.

It seems that only the older women understand what is about to happen.

The lady in white...though she is a focal point. I hardly see her.

Curious, what do you mean by "the artist was right but unfortunately at the wrong time."

CummerMuseum

Re: John Steuart Curry's
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
I really love when the artwork inspires someone to look a little longer or think a little harder about a subject.  That process is exactly why art is so important to our society and to the learning experience.  I love that after seeing this piece you found it important to look a little deeper into the history of the time.