Author Topic: Cummer Museum and Gardens Newest Renovation Project  (Read 1765 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Cummer Museum and Gardens Newest Renovation Project
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
Cummer Museum and Gardens Newest Renovation Project

As anyone who has been to the Museum over the past year can attest, there have been a number of changes and renovation projects around the Cummer:  Join us after the jump for details about the newest round of work on the Grande Old Dame:

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-jul-cummer-museum-and-gardens-newest-renovation-project

mbwright

Re: Cummer Museum and Gardens Newest Renovation Project
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
Looks cool.  While they are at it, I really hope they improve the lighting, at the steps and ramps at the main entrance.  They are especially dark in winter.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:34:47 AM by mbwright »

CummerMuseum

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
I will pass along your comment to the Facilities Manager and our Director.  We always appreciate hearing what needs done from the visitors point of view.  I know that we have a landscape plan that will be beginning soon that is campus wide, and we should be installing new front doors soon as well, to make the entrance more accessible. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »
Where are you on the funding for the new annex to the Women's club?  That would be a game changing addition to the Cummer.  Why are funds not being dedicated towards that?  I would think that should take priority over doors.

mtraininjax

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
Looking forward to the next Cummer Ball!
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

CummerMuseum

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
@Captain Zissou - Unfortunately our front doors need to take priority right now because they are a safety hazard.  They are original to the building and we can no longer get parts for them.  Having parts fabricated specifically for them was going to cost more than replacing them with a more user-friendly model.  The current doors are so heavy that they are not sitting in their frames properly, are very difficult to open, close very heavily, and are in danger of causing injury.  Aside from that, they are also not in compliance with ADA accessibility standards, and we believe strongly in maintaining those standards so everyone in the community feels welcome at the Museum. 

We are as anxious as you are to get back to work on the Lane Building, but the funding needed for that project is exponentially more than it will take for the doors.  As part of our long-term planning, it is important that we build a sustainable model for maintaining our current building and grounds, before expanding or taking on very costly addition projects.