Author Topic: Guest Series: Mayor Alvin Brown  (Read 4792 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Guest Series: Mayor Alvin Brown
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:20 AM »
Guest Series: Mayor Alvin Brown

Metro Jacksonville consistently offers the opportunity for our readers to absorb the editorials, personal accounts, and vocal opinions of some of the key players in the decision making process of our community. This week, Mayor Alvin Brown explains why public-private partnerships are an important method to grow the city in lean economic times.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-jul-guest-series-mayor-alvin-brown

BrooklynSouth

Re: Guest Series: Mayor Alvin Brown
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:27:26 AM »
Alvin Brown just makes me feel good about Jacksonville! I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a future ballot as a candidate for Governor.
"Taxes are the price we pay for civilization." --  Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »
Alvin Brown just makes me feel good about Jacksonville! I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a future ballot as a candidate for Governor.
Amen!

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
I am happy with the Mayor so far aside from the obvious Default letter to the Jags. I really love the enthusiasm and sticking to his promises about tax increases. I am not an anti tax guy as long as the money is spent on QOL.  Hopefully he won't have to make such promises in his second term.
Lenny Smash

jaxlore

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »
I appreciate the Mayor's enthusiasm over public private partnerships in the economic climate that we have. I hope that his second year will bring more fruition of his plans. But I wish his administration would be a little more forth coming on some of the social issues that he campaigned on and stop playing it so safe.

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
I'm actually fairly pleased with what the Mayor has done overall, too.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »
I am concerned about his tax reduction dogma.  We cannot "cheap" our way to "the next level" unless that next level is down.

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
+ 100

duvaldude08

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
Problem is, he got voted in on the premise that he would not raise taxes, and thats what the voter's expect. He's trying to be a man of his word. Before its all over, Im sure he will have to raise the taxes, but you cant fault him for trying to live him to his promise. And as a newer home owner myself, Im already paying higher taxes than I should because my home was a foreclosure. So Im pretty much paying what the previous owner was paying. My taxes are supposed to drop next year, but until then Im already on life support for the remainder of the year. LOL (its not that terriable, but you get my point). To raise them while Im already paying more than Im supposed to anyways, would be piss me right now at the moment. (selfish rant sorry. LOL)
Jaguars 2.0

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »
Problem is, he got voted in on the premise that he would not raise taxes, and thats what the voter's expect. He's trying to be a man of his word. Before its all over, Im sure he will have to raise the taxes, but you cant fault him for trying to live him to his promise. And as a newer home owner myself, Im already paying higher taxes than I should because my home was a foreclosure. So Im pretty much paying what the previous owner was paying. My taxes are supposed to drop next year, but until then Im already on life support for the remainder of the year. LOL (its not that terriable, but you get my point). To raise them while Im already paying more than Im supposed to anyways, would be piss me right now at the moment. (selfish rant sorry. LOL)

DD, you shouldn't be drunk on a thursday....  Wait another day or two.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Timkin

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
:o

duvaldude08

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »

DD, you shouldn't be drunk on a thursday....  Wait another day or two.

Im sorry. I just looked at my mortgage statement LMAO
Jaguars 2.0

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »

Cheer's DD!  ;D

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »
In the event anyone at the mayors office is reading this, I will volunteer my services to the COJ to get a streetcar up and running.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
I don't think they are too interested Ock. That would require spending money.