Author Topic: At MOCA ReFocus on the 70s: Pattern and Decoration  (Read 1997 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
At MOCA ReFocus on the 70s: Pattern and Decoration
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:27:27 AM »
At MOCA ReFocus on the 70s: Pattern and Decoration

As part of the continuing series of retrospective shows of contemporary art by decade, the current exhibition highlights works and movements from the 1970s.  Join us below the fold for an explanation of Pattern and Decoration within the process oriented decade!

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-jun-at-moca-refocus-on-the-70s-pattern-and-decoration

billy

Re: At MOCA ReFocus on the 70s: Pattern and Decoration
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
Someone should do a feature on Norman Fisher and his collection of contemporary art.
(Stephen?)
There was a local show about this around 1980. I can't find my catalog from the show.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:10:22 PM by billy »

billy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
I meant I am too busy/lazy to do a feature.
Also, it is supposed to hit 106 up here in Atlanta today.

Mr. Fisher left Jacksonville for New York and knew a broad circle of the art world,
Mapplethorpe, the Louds, Warhol, etc.
The catalog of his collection has a very interesting account of that period.
Maybe JPL has a copy, or the museum.

AshleyLauren

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »
What is interesting about Pattern and Decoration is how wide spread the use of the technique is without my knowledge. Most of the items I own that match this description are from different parts of the world. For example I have a set of ceramic plates from Morocco that have the type of design Pattern and Decoration use as well as several scarves from the Philippines, and a pattern/needlework/sketch type thing from Algeria. This causes me to wonder if this art form influenced these other types of products or if someone found inspiration from specific patterns of other countries to create Pattern and Decoration in the US. Either way, this is was is fantastic about art. There are no limits. Anyone can create something new or add different variables together of patterns, color, light, canvases and possibly create a new art from.