Author Topic: FECI Bringing Private Passenger Rail To Florida By 2014  (Read 13031 times)

duvaldude08

Re: FECI Bringing Private Passenger Rail To Florida By 2014
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »
Well from what Im getting Jacksonville is not included so what is there is get excited about. ? Seems to me NE Florida is left out again as usual.  I cant get excited about a "possiable"extension. Somebody set me straight because Im not excited about this.  :-\
Jaguars 2.0

JFman00

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
Well from what Im getting Jacksonville is not included so what is there is get excited about. ? Seems to me NE Florida is left out again as usual.  I cant get excited about a "possiable"extension. Somebody set me straight because Im not excited about this.  :-\

I think hopeful/optimistic would be a reasonable reaction. It's definitely a good impetus to reclaim Union Station.

cline

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »

The map and article clearly state that it eventually will be extended to Jax if the initial route is successful.

duvaldude08

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
Yeah nothings a guarentee for NE Florida  ::) Well see what happens
Jaguars 2.0

cline

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
Yeah nothings a guarentee for NE Florida  ::) Well see what happens

I have not read the feasibility study but perhaps they determined that the ORL-MIA was more feasible to start with in order to insure a greater chance at success.  Those are both large population centers.

urbaknight

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
Blaylock's out?! That's great news! I hope we can get someone in who's NOT connected to local powers that be. A fresh outsider is what we need to move forward. And with this forcast of passenger rail returning to the state, we have time to find the money in order to get the DT station ready.

Those on this site that talked about running for council, please do it. Run, win, and help to make this project a priority. 

mtraininjax

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »
Uh, Blaylock is not officially out, and the JTA board has come out and said he will be there for at least 2 years as a consultant. He resigned on his own accord, of course we still have to pay him for his own resignation. It all stinks to high heaven.

FECI line does initially exclude Jax, but that is OK with me. Best to see if they can make it work between Miami and Orlando for now, if it does work, wow, what a great deal that will be to be in Miami faster than you can drive and a lot less than the cost of flight. The current Amtrak route took us 9 hours down and back. We spent more time on the train than in Miami.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

tufsu1

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »
Uh, Blaylock is not officially out, and the JTA board has come out and said he will be there for at least 2 years as a consultant. He resigned on his own accord, of course we still have to pay him for his own resignation. It all stinks to high heaven.

not quite...the Board saiid he COULD be available as a consultant for up to 2 years...I don't actually expect them to use him

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 01:27:41 AM »
This private venture, if successful, could help to spur a new birth for passenger rail.
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »
Going back to the model of infrastructure implementation that built this state and country.  Rail mixed with TOD.  We saw this coming a mile away.

The company claims the service “will remove up to three million cars from our roadways annually, mitigating traffic congestion and lowering carbon emissions.” It also promises more than 6,000 new jobs building the line and another 1,000 permanent jobs operating it – “not counting additional jobs from property development around the rail system that could create even more employment opportunities.”

That last part might give a clue as to why FECI is interested in this venture when it will be hard pressed to make back the $1 billion it’s investing in the rail service. Druce speculated that the profits could come not from ridership but from the increased value of properties along the line:

While it would run on Florida East Coast Railway track, the announcement was made by their holding company Florida East Coast Industries which describes itself as a major real-estate owner and developer in the state of Florida. Looking into their holdings, we find one very prominent eight acre parcel in downtown Miami that is especially interesting. This used to actually be the location of the FEC Miami station and skirting the northern edge of the property there remains a single tracked FEC line. It also currently possesses an entitlement for up to 2.5 million square feet of mixed use development.

While this area is certainly valuable enough as is, both due to its inherent location as well as its proximity to Metrorail and Metromover stations, the addition of easily accessible intercity rail connections to the rest of the state greatly boosts that value, especially if developed with an eye towards the tourist trade.

Druce told me that running freight to Orlando on its new line will also be a money-maker.

Transit construction is sometimes financed with taxes and fees on property owners and merchants along the route who will benefit from the line, but FECI isn’t trying to demand anything from other property owners. “Increased tax revenues from rising property values near stations can be applied towards local needs (e.g. schools, parks, public works, police and fire protection),” the company said in its announcement.

More info: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/03/27/can-a-100-private-passenger-rail-line-turn-a-profit/

Here's the land FEC owns in downtown Miami:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
also note that MetroRail parallels the site in the picture above....and MetroMover cuts through it

acme54321

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:04 AM »
Too bad they don't own a similar piece of land in San Marco or DT.

I wonder if they still have the ROW into the JEA Southbank property?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »
JTA and COJ own half of LaVilla. There's a lot of TOD that could go up around a compact JRTC.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
JTA and COJ own half of LaVilla. There's a lot of TOD that could go up around a compact JRTC.

Yeah but if FECI already had property railside in DT Jax somewhere that could be developed into TOD it might give them an incentive to run the line to Jax sooner than later. 

mtraininjax

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
not quite...the Board saiid he COULD be available as a consultant for up to 2 years...I don't actually expect them to use him

They are stilllllll paying him though for another year, so why not use him as a consultant. Strip decision making power from him, but use his experience at the very least. I know how much we love him as a leader, but really, does it make you feel better to know we are paying him $287,000 well into 2013 for him to work a 2nd job? Nice double-dipping. Put his butt to work, somehow. Maybe he could drive a bus?
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field