Author Topic: UNF Wildlife Sanctuary  (Read 1890 times)

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
UNF Wildlife Sanctuary
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:38:29 PM »
Does anybody know about the three trails at UNF: Goldenrod, Blueberry and Red Maple Boardwalk?  I wonder what's up at the Nature Trails in Jacksonville, Florida?
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

second_pancake

Re: UNF Wildlife Sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
I know ABOUT them.  Is there something wrong with them or something happening with them???  Please tell me there isn't :-[
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »
I was just asking....do they let trail bikes out there these days? 
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

second_pancake

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:39:17 AM »
Not that I'm aware.  I haven't been out there since last summer, but they are hiking/jogging trails.  The only time I've seen bikes is when they host the adventure races (like The Bear) where they do biking, kayaking, running, swimming, and navigation.  If you want to bike, your best local option is Hanna Park, or one I recently found that I don't know a whole lot about, the Black Creek Trail off of US1.  The paved portion of Black Creek runs past Eagle Harbour and dies right before the Dr.s Inlet Bridge, but there is a dirt trail that goes in the opposite direction that I've never been on so I don't know how far it goes down or how technical it is.

The next local option is Guana River Preserve off of A1A just past Mickler's Landing.  They have dirt trails that are nice to ride.  Nothing too technical, soft sand in spots, lots of roots to hop over, but no hills or drops or rocks.  My husband and I take the kids out there a lot in the summer and ride out to the river to hang out.

Fort Clinch in Fernandina has some very cool rollers in their trail system and it's always a blast riding there.  Or there's always the standard out of town spots, Razorback in Reddick, San Felasco, or Santos in Ocala.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."