Author Topic: Alvin Brown on WOKV radio, Oct. 13 2011  (Read 12337 times)

urbaknight

Re: Alvin Brown on WOKV radio, Oct. 13 2011
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
I am still happy with him overall. He was talking about construction jobs when he mentioned a list that included residential.

I won't be happy until I hear "DownTown" residential. At least when he says "construction", he's talking about more than road building alone, unlike the rest of the powers that be in this city.

duvaldude08

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
I am still happy with him overall. He was talking about construction jobs when he mentioned a list that included residential.

I won't be happy until I hear "DownTown" residential. At least when he says "construction", he's talking about more than road building alone, unlike the rest of the powers that be in this city.

We cant even fill out "downtown" residential that we have now......
Jaguars 2.0

urbaknight

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »
I recently read on this website that the the occupancy rate is in the 80's %. And they're all overpriced luxury apartments and condos. If they cut out some of the frills in future construction projects, such as dishwashers and granite countertops for example, then many more would be able to afford to live DT; And they do want to, there's just nowhere affordable to go right now.

mtraininjax

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »
Well, if you count the Laura Trio, occupancy rate is probably closer to 50%....
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

duvaldude08

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 04:08:33 PM »
I recently read on this website that the the occupancy rate is in the 80's %. And they're all overpriced luxury apartments and condos. If they cut out some of the frills in future construction projects, such as dishwashers and granite countertops for example, then many more would be able to afford to live DT; And they do want to, there's just nowhere affordable to go right now.

Yeah affordable housing is the Key. Ive actually been searching DT. I always hang up the phone with my jaw on the floor when they tell me the price. City Place is cheap, but they are SMALL AS HELL
Jaguars 2.0

tufsu1

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 10:34:38 PM »
please....2 townhome units at the Parks @ Cathedral recently sold at auction for less than $70,000 each...and you can rent a 2bdr (1500+ sf) unit there for around $1000 a month...hardly what I call expnsive!

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 11:27:48 PM »
A 3BR/2BA on the 15th floor of the Peninsula is renting for $1874.  Add utilities and fees and you're still looking at less than $750/bedroom for a truly LUXURY condo with amenities and the best views.  I believe college dorms are even more expensive than that (I know mine were)!

The most expensive 2BR-2BA in the Strand with 1,295 SF is topping out at $1,599.  Again, lots of amenities, great views, new appliances and features, etc etc.

A 27th floor studio is going for $1,174.

Deposits on all of these are a whopping $300 :)

The largest 2BR-2BA at 11 E Forsyth tops out at $1,500.

With these prices, there is a high chance that every downtown developer is losing money on their buildings.  We know Vestcor is.  We know American Land Housing Group had to pull out.  Nobody can survive without major city assistance, which the taxpayer can't and won't afford.

Hate to say it but downtown living is expensive everywhere you go.  Search Craigslist for apartments in peer cities like Nashville and Charlotte and Austin and Orlando.  All at least 30-40% more expensive than Strand/Peninsula on average, often 70+% more expensive.  Building towers in these cities is a huge gamble and investors and lenders want a return.  Nobody is building apartments or condos without some sort of debt stemming from the construction to lease up to a permanent loan.  There's no feasibly possible way to put up decent new downtown units without charging at least $1.50-$1.70/SF/Mo.  MUCH higher in the larger coastal cities.

Jacksonville needs to focus on things like parks (YAY today!) and perceptions of safety and cleanliness.  Better promotion and coordination between stakeholders and events and businesses.  A new convention center closer to the city that can keep visitors and pedestrian activity alive in times of slowness.  The city is starting to do all that, but downtown needs to be nice enough to invoke some sort of pride in suburbanites, too, when the city begins to ask for support and sympathy.  The city can't boost downtown and ask southside residents to start loving and supporting it when it is still an urban wasteland with more homeless people than visitors.

Now start renting out these cheap ass apartments!  You won't regret it.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

duvaldude08

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 11:33:43 PM »
please....2 townhome units at the Parks @ Cathedral recently sold at auction for less than $70,000 each...and you can rent a 2bdr (1500+ sf) unit there for around $1000 a month...hardly what I call expnsive!

HA! Well I need your job. The MAX I can afford without being in the poor house is 700.00 a month. Everybody finances does not allow $1,000 for rent... Thats why I was just going to settle for a nice apartment in springfield. I seen a really nice last year for like $750.00 a month. That looks about as close as I can get to DT without joining the homeless at Hemming Plaza.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:36:16 PM by duvaldude08 »
Jaguars 2.0

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »
Uh...roommate?  I have one!  It's very common for people to have roommates, as much as it cramps one's style.  Almost everyone I know has roommates.  My cousin lives in Georgetown and you know she certainly has as many roommates as she can fit!  All of my friends in New York have 3+ roommates.  My mom worked in New York in the 70s when the city was cheaper because it was bankrupt and run down, and so she was able to get a doorman building on the UES on Lexington...with roommates.  My dad lived in the Atlantis in Miami in the 80s when Brickell was still urban pioneering down there (and the Atlantis was the coolest building in town), and he had a roommate...he was in his 30s.

Roommate, roommate, roommate.  Like I said, go for a $1300-$1500/Mo 2BR and your split is well within your budget.  Only in Jacksonville, my friend.  Only in Jacksonville.  Take advantage.

duvaldude08

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
Uh...roommate?  I have one!  It's very common for people to have roommates, as much as it cramps one's style.  Almost everyone I know has roommates.  My cousin lives in Georgetown and you know she certainly has as many roommates as she can fit!  All of my friends in New York have 3+ roommates.  My mom worked in New York in the 70s when the city was cheaper because it was bankrupt and run down, and so she was able to get a doorman building on the UES on Lexington...with roommates.  My dad lived in the Atlantis in Miami in the 80s when Brickell was still urban pioneering down there (and the Atlantis was the coolest building in town), and he had a roommate...he was in his 30s.

Roommate, roommate, roommate.  Like I said, go for a $1300-$1500/Mo 2BR and your split is well within your budget.  Only in Jacksonville, my friend.  Only in Jacksonville.  Take advantage.

Me and Roomates=No. Not an ideal situation, not for me anyways. I have to stay alone. Just my preference.
Jaguars 2.0

peestandingup

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »

Um, having roommates in Georgetown (I assume you're talking about DC?), NYC & even some of Atlanta's core is NOT the same as having to have one in downtown Jacksonville, FL. It's apples & oranges. People do that in those cities because of the great amenities that it affords (being car-less, having everything literally at your doorstep, etc). What amenities would there be in Jacksonville to have to do that?? People won't even bother because there's no reason to. And that's exactly what's happening. If they would have left downtown alone & not leveled half of its housing stock (instead of thinking with their big development-cocks & trying to get rich off of "luxury housing") then they'd be plenty of low rent affordable places for tons more people.

Not to mention that the uncontrolled sprawl has really screwed the pooch here for a number of reasons. Most things people need are out in the suburbs now. You can't have a downtown that's just an entertainment district & not a real sustainable community like it used to be. The fact that we're so overdeveloped & sprawled out makes it so much worse. Sure, you can try to retrofit some kind of community presence back into downtown, but that's still not the same thing. Its almost worse than starting from scratch.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 06:25:27 AM »
I hate to say it but no one is going to lose their money

HA! Well I need your job. The MAX I can afford without being in the poor house is 700.00 a month. Everybody finances does not allow $1,000 for rent... Thats why I was just going to settle for a nice apartment in springfield. I seen a really nice last year for like $750.00 a month. That looks about as close as I can get to DT without joining the homeless at Hemming Plaza.

Without the city giving massive incentives, its not feasible to retrofit an existing building or construct a new one in downtown and charge $700 month for units significantly larger than what City Place offers (on or off the river).  The city would be better off constructing a starter fixed transit system that connects a few core neighborhoods with DT.  If that were done, you'd find something in your price range in a place like Brooklyn, Durkeeville or Springfield and still be able to access DT, Five Points, etc. without the use of a car.  Sort of like living in DC's Columbia Heights or Anacostia and being a metro ride away from Chinatown, Dupont Circile, U Street, Arlington, Alexandria, etc.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:33 AM »
^Exactly.  The magic minimum is really at about $1.70/SF/Mo, so a 1,000 SF unit needs to rent out for at least $1,700/Mo.  That's about the size of a 2 bedroom, and a decent sized one at that.  All these 2 Bedrooms in Jax that are 1,200+ SF and renting for $1,400 are a ridiculous bargain.  I actually have some high school classmates taking advantage of the bargains available in the Strand and I had a friend in the "penthouse" of 11 East (don't think he is still there...he also has a place up north).

What can be rented out for cheap are older quadplexes and houses split into duplexes.  Just to give an idea of the contrast (and I'm going to bring IT up now), a new building 1010 in Midtown Atlanta has 1 BRs starting at about $2000 and the Atlantic has 1BRs starting at $2900 (granted these are more expensive than average), but there are all sorts of older homes that aren't in "pristine" condition and older apartments around the core where a bedroom can be rented for $600-$700.  Both are in walking distance of amenities, the park, transit, etc.  I'm not talking about slums, just places that have original hardwood floors that creak, older appliances, etc.  Lavilla could have been the perfect setting for this, but unfortunately the city leveled the entire area.  It would have been the best chance for affordable rentals downtown and could have been a wonderful opportunity for those of us ready to invest smaller capital downtown.  I would have loved to purchase a few of those old houses/buildings with friends and fix them up and rent them out.  No chance now.

peestandingup

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
True, Lavilla would have been a nice affordable neighborhood right in the core of downtown. But there's still some significant affordable stock in the downtown area that isn't exactly being taken care or utilized like it should be. The Philip Randolph area comes to mind. So does Springfield with their wrecking ball-happy issues & a basically non-existant retail presence.

If downtown were to ever get their act together & start actually increasing their flatlined population numbers, those areas I mentioned would start to become really attractive for people who wanted that historic feel in those types of homes & they would fix themselves. But that hasn't happened yet & its going to take a while before infill starts to bleed out to those areas. Which is a shame because truth be told, those 2 areas have more character (and are just plain cooler) than anything that's directly downtown.