Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 2096401 times)

Fallen Buckeye

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10350 on: January 16, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »
^^ Hiring Urban seems to be a business move more than a football move to me. Energize the base with a locally popular coaching hire and distract from the PR nightmare of Lot J. He's obviously a great football coach, but he's known for a spread offense and mobile quarterbacks. I'm not sure that will transfer to the pro game where players can close much faster. 

However, the team will likely be young with all the draft picks we have, and the team is coming off a terrible season so the bar will super low  making it a good time to turn to a gamble of a coach. He's commanding a big salary, but he's likely to safe for a few years mitigating the risk of having to pay a guy who's been let go.

That's probably the reason they tend to hold on to some of these terrible coaches, players, GM's longer than fans like. All about keeping overhead as low as possible while keeping fans engaged just enough to buy tickets. Having a team with lots of players on rookie contracts probably helps in that department, too.

MusicMan

« Reply #10351 on: January 17, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
I remember a packed stadium not too long ago. It's all the losing that is affecting the situation. I hope Urb's can win.  Last time I checked Green Bay was packed in the smallest market in the NFL.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #10352 on: January 17, 2021, 09:53:05 PM »
Fournette doing it for Tampa Bay tonight.  Chad Henne iced the Kansas City win today too.  Seems ex-Jags do better after we cut them :).  Don't forget Tom Coughlin too.

MusicMan

« Reply #10353 on: January 17, 2021, 10:49:50 PM »
Marcedes Lewis?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10354 on: January 18, 2021, 05:27:03 PM »
Marcedes Lewis?

Marcedes has been awesome the past few years in Green Bay... a warrior
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:31:35 AM by BridgeTroll »
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

MusicMan

« Reply #10355 on: January 19, 2021, 05:26:29 PM »
Yup......nothing wrong with him at all and they have never replaced him, or really come close.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10356 on: February 11, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »
Just saw this on the book of faces - thoughts?
Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer has finally announced his staff for the 2021 NFL season and one name stuck out to me.

Chris Doyle. Yes... that Chris Doyle.

The same Doyle who alienated former Black players at Iowa by allegedly threatening to “send them back to the ghetto.”

The same Doyle who sent 13 players to the hospital with rhabdomyolysis following team workouts.

The same Doyle who parted ways with the University of Iowa after a $1.1 million dollar buyout.

For team brass to say, “It takes all of us to end racism!” then so blatantly go the other way is a complete reversal on the message the league was seemingly trying to send and a slap in the face to the players in that locker room — players who led local protests against systems of oppression propped up by people who exhibit the same behavior that is alleged of Doyle.

By hiring Doyle, the Jaguars are effectively telling their players that doing all this performative stuff that pretends to end racism is enough. At the end of the day, when it’s time to do the actual work of ending racism, building your coaching staff is more important.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2021/2/11/22278533/jacksonville-jaguars-hire-chris-doyle-iowa-allegations?fbclid=IwAR1wmQi3e82Q9x7YKtnSQCnwRJXebGdIxDiOF5H9YmzdqUMxoeslGMqBDF0

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10357 on: February 12, 2021, 08:44:16 AM »
Is there room for second chances?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

CityLife

« Reply #10358 on: February 12, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »
He was throwing against air, but Lawrence was unreal at his pro day today. Urban got a nice up close look from the field and had to be loving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t298eGa3o38

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10359 on: February 12, 2021, 11:27:52 PM »

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #10360 on: February 13, 2021, 12:10:08 AM »
Bad omen? Or minor bump on the road to greatness? Time will tell.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10361 on: February 13, 2021, 07:51:00 AM »
Is there room for second chances?
Apparently not...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10362 on: March 12, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
There are going to be a ton of awesome cap casualties from from good teams this year. The Jags should be able to take advantage with plenty of cap space available and a buyers market for players... hopefully they get their house in order and do something great...

landfall

« Reply #10363 on: March 20, 2021, 06:57:10 PM »
Any thoughts on Jags free-agency?

I feel like this team could sneak the division in year one of Meyer/Lawrence. Like the signings of Marvin Jones and Shaq Griffin. Would have liked a Tight End though, thats been a hole since Marcedes Lewis left. Maybe they're looking to the draft for that. Looks like they're going to a 3-4 defense and they've largely got the pieces at the moment. Could maybe do with a pass rusher as I'm not sure about Chaisson.

MusicMan

« Reply #10364 on: March 22, 2021, 11:51:12 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how you draft Leonard Fournette #4 overall and yet cannot get anything for him........

I like the free agents so far. With  good draft this team can be quite good week 1.