Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1769138 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10425 on: February 04, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
^$63 million for pools/video boards.

$90 million for Daily’s/Flex Field/Club Seats, of which $26 million went to clubs.

50/50 split on both between the city and Jags.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10426 on: February 04, 2020, 02:04:19 PM »
Keep in mind that this might only net out to one fewer regular season home game every two years.

It’s sounding increasingly likely that the NFLPA will concede to a 17 game regular season, to begin in 2021.

Wouldn’t a 17th game mean everyone plays a neutral site/international series game? It would be interesting if the Jags even had any extra London games in that scenario.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10427 on: February 04, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »
^TBD, but there's been discussion that teams would alternate between 8 and 9 home games every other year as well.

We should know one way in the coming days.

Supposedly owners are willing to make a ton of concessions to player in exchange for that extra game, and the decision could curtail a potential lock out.

Re: The second London game.

I might be alone, but I don't have a huge problem with it, and I think it's a reasonable business decision by the Jags if there's pressure from the owners to boost revenues. I still think Khan is committed to the Jacksonville market (even if hedging bets). Guy has enough money to where he could have easily boughten out the lease and left town if he really wanted to, rather than going through a ten-year dog and pony show.

That said, the optics remain terrible.

From Khan, and from Lamping.

To use Lot J, an already controversial project due to the public ask, as rationale to move a home game out of Jacksonville because of construction, I don't know.

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1224731843678871552

So weird to me that the Jags and city government continue to operate as if this is a done deal, despite no economic development agreement actually being in place.

We're moving a home game this year because of a hypothetical development that likely won't break ground until the end of the season at the earliest.

It's all just so odd.

Papa33

« Reply #10428 on: February 04, 2020, 02:47:26 PM »
^$63 million for pools/video boards.

$90 million for Daily’s/Flex Field/Club Seats, of which $26 million went to clubs.

50/50 split on both between the city and Jags.
Thank you for the information.   So it looks like there have been $100 million in renovations, er, I mean upgrades to the stadium itself since Kahn bought the team.  $500 million is what I’m hearing today for a complete reno.  Considering the cost to Joe Robbie was $350 million in 2015, that I suspect that would be right today, but who knows about tomorrow.  My understanding of the Joe Robbie reno is videoboards, additional suites and the canopy.  Other than canopy (and the canopy’s aesthetics), what are the Jags looking to do with the stadium (not including)?  Ben Hill Griffin was all about additional suites.  Don’t think the Jags are considering additonal suites a need, are they?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10429 on: February 04, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »
Miami's stadium was renovated with private funds. Definitely don't believe it would have gotten done if 50% local funds were required.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Papa33

« Reply #10430 on: February 04, 2020, 03:27:04 PM »
Miami's stadium was renovated with private funds. Definitely don't believe it would have gotten done if 50% local funds were required.
True and probably not, given that the City just paid or (agreed to pay) 1/2 of the Marlin's new stadium.

minder

« Reply #10431 on: February 04, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
Commit or move the team, simple as. Death by a thousand cuts increasingly.

The thing is, for the league as a whole this does nothing. London is already saturated interest wise. This doesn't attract new fans in Europe or nor does it develop new players outside of America. Its just more money with no actual growth of the game. Pure greed.

I like the concept of Lot J and have no sentiment for the likes of the Landing, but I am just absolutely sick of the bullshit promises and the posturing from Khan.

I suspect the team will continue to struggle on field next year and as interest in the on field product declines and faith in the ownership trends down then we are going to see the further drip effect of cuts, i.e. a 4/4 split with London before whats looking like the increasing inevitable. I foresee absolutely no chance of one of the two games returning to Jax even if Lot J comes to fruition, somehow.

Put up or shut up Shad, get the shovels in the ground now or just piss off and take your emotional blackmail elsewhere if thats how you want to play it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:20:09 PM by minder »

FlaBoy

« Reply #10432 on: February 04, 2020, 05:20:19 PM »
True and probably not, given that the City just paid or (agreed to pay) 1/2 of the Marlin's new stadium.

And American Airlines Arena. Miami was strapped.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #10433 on: February 04, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »
Commit or move the team, simple as. Death by a thousand cuts increasingly.

The thing is, for the league as a whole this does nothing. London is already saturated interest wise. This doesn't attract new fans in Europe or nor does it develop new players outside of America. Its just more money with no actual growth of the game. Pure greed.

I like the concept of Lot J and have no sentiment for the likes of the Landing, but I am just absolutely sick of the bullshit promises and the posturing from Khan.

I suspect the team will continue to struggle on field next year and as interest in the on field product declines and faith in the ownership trends down then we are going to see the further drip effect of cuts, i.e. a 4/4 split with London before whats looking like the increasing inevitable. I foresee absolutely no chance of one of the two games returning to Jax even if Lot J comes to fruition, somehow.

Put up or shut up Shad, get the shovels in the ground now or just piss off and take your emotional blackmail elsewhere if thats how you want to play it.

The league isn’t going to do anything because the Jags and the city haven’t done anything wrong. In the other relocation cases, the cities pushed back. COJ hasn’t done that so I don’t see the Jags going anywhere.

The worst that I can see happen is that London is awarded a franchise as a expansion team and Khan takes ownership of that team and you get some other Billionaire to take over the Jags. However, we are likely 7-10 years from that being a possible scenario.

minder

« Reply #10434 on: February 04, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
3h
Replying to
@wingoz
Right now move is only for next season but should construction go longer than anticipated they’d consider multiple London games for additional seasons
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
3h
London games bring in twice the revenue of regular home games. This is NOT a first step toward relocation. It’s the opposite: making sure Jags stay in Jacksonville long term.
Show this thread
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
3h
Spoke to a
@Jaguars
  source today who wanted to make it clear: The extra London game is about maximizing revenue which goes toward building a top of the line downtown stadium experience in Jacksonville long term
pfft consider me sceptical at the moment. if that is indeed the case then the communication regarding all of this has been laughable.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:37:41 PM by minder »

JPalmer

« Reply #10435 on: February 04, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
Khan operates the Jags in the same way people who flip hotels seem to do. He is making big capital investments towards on-site improvements, all while still providing crappy service and sandpaper towels.

Kerry

« Reply #10436 on: February 04, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »
I would like to volunteer as a laborer to help the Jags pack.  I can work the graveyard shift if required.
Third Place

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10437 on: February 04, 2020, 08:09:40 PM »
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
3h
Replying to
@wingoz
Right now move is only for next season but should construction go longer than anticipated they’d consider multiple London games for additional seasons
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
3h
London games bring in twice the revenue of regular home games. This is NOT a first step toward relocation. It’s the opposite: making sure Jags stay in Jacksonville long term.
Show this thread
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
3h
Spoke to a
@Jaguars
  source today who wanted to make it clear: The extra London game is about maximizing revenue which goes toward building a top of the line downtown stadium experience in Jacksonville long term
pfft consider me sceptical at the moment. if that is indeed the case then the communication regarding all of this has been laughable.

Optics have been terrible, but Occam's razor still suggests that the most logical scenario is that the Jags are being truthful in the situation.

Those ramps are going to start coming down in less than a month.

The city just changed the route of the Gate River Run for the first time in 30 years because they expect construction to be under way by March 7th.

Lot J's looking like an inevitability, which is likely going to hurt attendance during construction.

From a business, rather than emotional perspective, everything the Jags are saying makes sense about boosting revenue in the short-term to re-invest in the sports complex.

Per Lamping, after a deal for Lot J is in place, they're going to start negotiating stadium renovations necessary to extend the lease for another 10+ years. Once those negotiations are complete, Lamping said they're going to talk to the city about the Shipyards.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but if I'm the mayor and City Council and feel like the Jags are worth keeping in Jacksonville, I lock in the most city-friendly deal I can on Lot J now, agree on the terms and timelines of stadium renovations and lease extension with a guarantee that 7 regular season home games plus all post season games remain in Jacksonville each year starting in 202X, figure out a plan to finance it, and be done with all the drama. And if I'm the mayor and City Council and I feel like the Jags aren't worth keeping in Jacksonville, I don't proceed with Lot J.

In a vacuum, I don't like the idea of subsidizing residential and office use in the sports complex. But as part of a comprehensive Lot J/stadium package to lock the NFL into Jacksonville for 7 home games a season for the next 25 years and greatly improve our stadium and sports complex without the need for a full replacement, I can live with it, particularly when the alternative would likely involve the Jags asking for a brand new billion-dollar stadium.

Worst thing we can do is subsidize Lot J, but let stadium talks drag for too long, running the real risk of the Jags again using London for leverage when it comes to the negotiations on the Shipyards and/or convention center.

Kerry

« Reply #10438 on: February 05, 2020, 12:16:03 AM »
Anyone else see the similarities between a person in total denial about their cheating spouse and some fans and tge Jags?

We should see other people.  I think it will strengthen our relationship.
Third Place

minder

« Reply #10439 on: February 05, 2020, 07:36:57 AM »
does anyone know how many parking spaces are in lot j? i'm wondering if somehow the loss of several hundred premium parking spaces per game + other events will eat into their bottom line whilst it is potentially a construction site for a year at the least.