Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1674180 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10290 on: December 02, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
While I'm very sorry for the misfortunes that plagued the Foles family from the beginning of their move here (the miscarriage, then Foles' injury) the fact remains that Minshew-mania took hold in a BIG way.  Jags started winning, there was an era of good feeling, to coin an old phrase. You don't change horses in mid-stream when you're winning, Marrone - but I guess you have to do what the owner says?  Maybe they brought Foles back full-force too soon from his injury.  Either way, I am sorry that these two players are starting to wonder what kind of fair-weather fans they're playing for in Jacksonville.  Especially hurtful, to me is that the media portrayed it that the Minshew honeymoon was over b/c they lost in London.  huh???  I can't imagine the true fans feeling that way.  I'm not a faithful follower of the sport, I just see how two young men are being treated by the powers that be.  Put the human aspect back in there for a minute. 

Unfortunately, pro sports are the ultimate stage to show that “being a nice guy” and “trying really hard” doesn’t always get the job done.

Best Example: Gus Bradley. Nicest dude ever. Terrible Head Coach.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #10291 on: December 02, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
I went with my brother but since the game wasn't competitive, we bailed at halftime and went to a nearby restaurant for food and drinks instead of overpaying for them at the stadium.

You missed the Mania!!

While I'm very sorry for the misfortunes that plagued the Foles family from the beginning of their move here (the miscarriage, then Foles' injury) the fact remains that Minshew-mania took hold in a BIG way.  Jags started winning, there was an era of good feeling, to coin an old phrase. You don't change horses in mid-stream when you're winning, Marrone - but I guess you have to do what the owner says?  Maybe they brought Foles back full-force too soon from his injury.  Either way, I am sorry that these two players are starting to wonder what kind of fair-weather fans they're playing for in Jacksonville.  Especially hurtful, to me is that the media portrayed it that the Minshew honeymoon was over b/c they lost in London.  huh???  I can't imagine the true fans feeling that way.  I'm not a faithful follower of the sport, I just see how two young men are being treated by the powers that be.  Put the human aspect back in there for a minute. 

Plenty of fans were over Minshew by his second poor game...and many of them were Foles fans to begin with. But that's just the nature of being a quarterback in the NFL. If you think fans or the media have been hard on either guy this season, try being a star athlete in NYC. Easily 10x worse. Anyway, don't worry. Both of these guys know the drill and I doubt anything coming externally from the fans/media will have any effect whatsoever on either of them. You can feel bad for Foles given the circumstances and the health woes you mentioned, but no need to feel bad about the way they're being treated. And for Foles, that $50M guaranteed will smooth over any sad feelings.

Kiva

« Reply #10292 on: December 03, 2019, 05:53:53 PM »
Carolina Panthers today fired their head coach. They are 5-7 this season. Jags are 4-8. Wonder how long it will take?
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending/carolina-panthers-fire-coach-ron-rivera/MCKM3PWQGRBVDCFCLQJNS432TI/

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10293 on: December 03, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
Wonder if Khan is this slow in firing under-performing executives at his other businesses?

JaxAvondale

« Reply #10294 on: December 03, 2019, 07:48:35 PM »
I understand why the Panthers fires their coach but what does Khan gain by doing the same right now?

Kerry

« Reply #10295 on: December 03, 2019, 10:05:35 PM »
Wonder if Khan is this slow in firing under-performing executives at his other businesses?

They just fired their $88 million quarterback.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10296 on: December 03, 2019, 10:46:18 PM »
Not yet, right now he is just 'benched' - like sending a poor performing manager to the branch office in East Nowhere, Montana.

And, this is the same business, I was [sorta] wondering about his auto parts business.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #10297 on: December 03, 2019, 11:14:29 PM »

They just fired their $88 million quarterback.

Unlike most jobs, he will get paid that money (well, $51M) even if he does get fired.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10298 on: December 04, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
I have this vision of an epic Poker Game this off season with all the players bankrolled by obscene wastes of Con’s money.

Foles and Bortles are the whales.

Of course, Con will be playing in a separate game bankrolled by Jax taxpayers.

Snaketoz

« Reply #10299 on: December 04, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
The Jaguars are in urgent need to get the front office replaced.  They need a personnel evaluator primarily.  The Jags have never had a good record at picking talent.  With all the early draft positions they have had, they should be up there with the Patriots, not with the Bengals.  They also need a head coach that can instill discipline and cut down on penalties, while keeping morale high.  Don't know who that could be unless they can lure Cowher with $.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10300 on: December 04, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »

He darn sure wasn't with Fulham. Their first full year I think they had 4 coaches.

Kerry

« Reply #10301 on: December 04, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
I would be all in favor of making these problems, London's problem.

Are there any American cities that would even want (can afford) an NFL team at this point?  Portland is to far left to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a billionaire.  Austin already has a crappy football team so they don't need two (plus the Cowboys would never allow it).  San Diego, St Louis, and Oakland already told their existing teams "No Thanks - We're broke".  Oklahoma City doesn't have the money either and their focus is on MLS (and the Sooners and Dallas Cowboys would be a big No).  Salt Lake City? Maybe.  Birmingham?  They are smaller market than Jax.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10302 on: December 04, 2019, 05:08:56 PM »
Are there any American cities that would even want (can afford) an NFL team at this point?  Portland is to far left to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a billionaire.  Austin already has a crappy football team so they don't need two (plus the Cowboys would never allow it).  San Diego, St Louis, and Oakland already told their existing teams "No Thanks - We're broke".  Oklahoma City doesn't have the money either and their focus is on MLS (and the Sooners and Dallas Cowboys would be a big No).  Salt Lake City? Maybe.  Birmingham?  They are smaller market than Jax.

The main markets that always seem to rise to the surface are San Antonio/Austin (one discussion surfaced about a team in between the two cities as they're a little over an hour apart, but I have a hard time seeing that working or many reasons), Montreal (sharing the Alouettes stadium), Portland (though I'm not sure where the stadium money comes from either), St Louis, and San Diego.

You're not exactly correct on St. Louis. St Louis actually was willing to put legit money up for a new stadium to replace the dome. The problem was, Stan Kroenke wasn't really negotiating in good faith. This is why St. Louis is suing the NFL and Kroenke. Multiple legal articles I've read opine that St Louis has a legit argument here, which I bet COULD lead to another team. If St Louis gets anywhere near what they're asking, then I think the numbers will prove Kroenke was better off stay in St Louis, especially combined with the Chargers issues (See below)

San Diego is a complex issue. The Spanos family (owners of the Chargers) could not have botched the PR side of this any more than they did. Further, they were just really stupid with money - between all of the money in studies and the $550M Relocation fee to LA, had they just put that money towards a new stadium it would have been a MUCH more palatable number for the folks in San Diego, plus the league was willing to loan Spanos money to front the costs.

As it stands now, the Chargers can't sell out a 28k seat soccer stadium, and the LA Stadium that the Rams and Chargers are supposed to share is looking like a multi-billion dollar money pit, since the Chargers can't sell tickets to save their lives. Now, there's no public money involved here so the public doesn't really have a complaint in my eyes (Kroenke is writing a check for the thing).

Oakland is also an interesting issue. In Mark Davis defense, he actually DOESN'T have the capital to front the money. Davis is well known to be the least wealthy NFL owner (worth about $500M, but it's all tied to the team). Now, I ALSO think he botched this, as Oakland had a funding plan for a stadium (the public's share was $200M for a $1.3B facility). Bottom line was a reasonable amount of money WAS offered, but I think Mark Davis, frankly, was too stupid to figure out how to make everything else work. I think he'd have to give up some control of the team to another investment group if I remember right.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10303 on: December 04, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »
I would be all in favor of making these problems, London's problem.

San Antonio and San Diego are the most likely. San Diego won't break the bank on the stadium, however. Austin is another usual suspect, perhaps in conjunction with San Antonio as Steve says. If they ever decide to break into Canada, Toronto will be an immediate grab, after which point both Vancouver and Montreal will open up as options (Vancouver already has a stadium). I doubt Portland or any city in California ever decides to pay NFL prices for a new stadium but if the NFL lowers its demands there are plenty of options there. Then there are places that no one thinks of now that are growing quickly and are likely to be major cities in the future. SLC, Raleigh-Durham, etc. That said, if they don't break into Canada, the NFL is already running out of cities that will fund their ridiculous stadiums.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

MusicMan

« Reply #10304 on: December 04, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »
"The Jaguars are in urgent need to get the front office replaced.  They need a personnel evaluator primarily.  The Jags have never had a good record at picking talent.  With all the early draft positions they have had, they should be up there with the Patriots, not with the Bengals."

100% correct, sir.

We have had every opportunity to put together a great team, even if we had used our later draft round picks effectively (I see you Brian Anger).