Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1437304 times)

Dapperdan

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9090 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:06 AM »
I assume odds at getting a 2 seed are dwindling now. Of course, this all hinges on us winning out which should be no problem if they play the way they have been. San Fran is terrible but playing a bit better lately and the Titans have definitely been on a slide. I much prefer roaring into the playoffs than kind of back sliding in. Depending on how the seeding shakes out, if we win at San Fran, I can see them resting players during the Titans game. I hope not, but I could see that.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9091 on: December 19, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
I don't think we'll be resting starters against the Titans**, cause I believe we will heath the 49ers which means #1 and 2 seeds are still in play. Yes, unlikely but still possible. How stupid would we look to rest starters if PIT or NE somehow lose? No way.

**Except for resting in the 4th quarter of a blowout victory

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9092 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:15 AM »
If a bye is still in play only if the Pats or Steelers lose in week 17 (hosting Jets/Browns), then I don't think it is actually in play. If after week 16, that is the scenario, I hope they rest some starters. And, if beating Tenn. results in the Chargers being their W/C opponent, I hope they tank. Give me Bills or Titans in that game every time.

On a related note, If the Chargers don't make the playoffs because that clown celebrated his "game ending" pick against the Jags instead of returning it, that will be hilarious. A+ defensive coaching,Gus.

copperfiend

« Reply #9093 on: December 19, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
I am interested in seeing how the NFL schedules the games that final Sunday.

If Tennessee is in a win and you're in scenario, I could see the game being set at 430.

If New England and Pittsburgh play at 1, the Jags may know by kickoff if the game is essentially meaningless for them.

If they are locked into the third seed, I could definitely see them resting guys the way they did in the fourth quarter the other day.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9094 on: December 19, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
I suppose I agree with you on paper smm, but regardless I just don't see this regime doing that. If there's something to play for they will. They may even play with nothing to play for except pride and momentum.

copper, good points about the timing.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9095 on: December 19, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »
I agree that if there is something to play for no matter how remote they won't rest anyone...just wishing. Forgive me, I still get a twitch when I think of the final game Wes Welker injury.

Worst nightmare is Jags lose to Niners and Titans beat Rams (not worried but you never know) and next week's game gets flexed to 8:00. New Years even plans get screwed and still possibly lose home playoff game.

MusicMan

« Reply #9096 on: December 19, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »
"What happened to Blake?"

They took the plays/throws he could not make out of the playbook.  Have not seen that quick throw into the flat (that often turned into a pick six) in a long time.

And the O line has outperformed any ones expectations.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9097 on: December 19, 2017, 10:23:50 PM »
4 Selected to the ProBowl

J. Ramsey, CB
A. Bouye, CB
M. Jackson, DL
C. Campbell, DE

2 others that should have made it:

L. Fournette, RB & Y. Ngakoue, DE
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9098 on: December 19, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »
"What happened to Blake?"

They took the plays/throws he could not make out of the playbook.  Have not seen that quick throw into the flat (that often turned into a pick six) in a long time.

And the O line has outperformed any ones expectations.

Well he's making far more accurate passes than he was in the past. His deep balls and fades are usually erratic...not lately. And his crossing routes are usually behind or low...not so much lately. I would guess that has to do with confidence, which helps him relax and keep his fundamentals.

4 Selected to the ProBowl

J. Ramsey, CB
A. Bouye, CB
M. Jackson, DL
C. Campbell, DE

2 others that should have made it:

L. Fournette, RB & Y. Ngakoue, DE

I dunno about 4nette...it's close. Linder, Telvin and Bohanon also perhaps should have made it, though again not an outright snub imo. And Mickens might have had a shot had he started the year as a returner.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9099 on: December 21, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »
Fournette is a first alternate, which I think is fair.
Poz is a second, which is a surprise lol. I think he's riding past seasons with that one, but I'm happy for him for sure.
Telvin is also a second alternate...think that's low obviously.
Yannick is third...again think that's low as he should've made it.
Jay-gone Mickens is a third, which is fine. Maybe low but he is relatively new.
Bohanon is third...should be higher.
Gipson is a fifth...ok, maybe low. Church could be there too.
And I still think Linder should've made the list somewhere. No O-linemen from the #1 rushing attack and 5th fewest sacks given up?

ben says

« Reply #9100 on: December 22, 2017, 05:40:53 AM »
I´m a grinch about the pro bowl, but hell, can´t think of a lamer/more ridiculous judge of quality than pro bowl voting.

It´s worse than a popularity contest - it´s a f´ing name recognition context.

Not to mention it´s just an extra game whereby the NFL makes money and players get another shot at getting hurt.

I´m not an NFL player, so my opinion means nothing whatsoever....but even if I were voted in, I´d abstain from playing. (I know they are contractually bound to play, barring certain circumstances, but....)

Anyways, yeah - Pro Bowl sucks.  ;D

EDIT: if they changed the voting so that coaches voted, or players voted (or both), I think the PB would have a lot more credit as to who deserves to be playing. But because fans vote - and can vote (literally) thousands of times - it´s a bit ridiculous.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9101 on: December 22, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »
EDIT: if they changed the voting so that coaches voted, or players voted (or both), I think the PB would have a lot more credit as to who deserves to be playing. But because fans vote - and can vote (literally) thousands of times - it´s a bit ridiculous.

Players, coaches, and fans all vote, and each group counts for one third overall. So the fandom and voting thousands of times is capped to counting one-third of the overall selection process.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9102 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
Congrats to the AFC South champions!  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9103 on: December 24, 2017, 07:38:27 PM »
Congrats to the AFC South champions!  8)

And the defense celebrates by being moronic a-holes. Wow that was embarrassing.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9104 on: December 24, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
This was a good wake up for the young guys on the team. Hopefully, Robinson, Hurns, and Lee will be back for the playoffs.