Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 2096403 times)

MusicMan

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10335 on: January 07, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »
"Build it from scratch"..... the way he did at Florida, or Ohio State?   He's never inherited a 1-15 team before. And he's never coached in the NFL. He's succeeded in college in large part because he out-recruited his rivals and stepped into very established programs.  Remember Nick Saban? 

Urban Meyer is not used to going 9-7 and calling it a great year.

I would prefer someone with a stable personality, no history of medical issues causing him to quit, a track record of winning and if possible, developing QB's in the NFL.   But I'm not making the decision.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #10336 on: January 07, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
^ +1
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Chuckabear

« Reply #10337 on: January 07, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
"Build it from scratch"..... the way he did at Florida, or Ohio State?   He's never inherited a 1-15 team before. And he's never coached in the NFL. He's succeeded in college in large part because he out-recruited his rivals and stepped into very established programs.  Remember Nick Saban? 

I would prefer someone with a stable personality, no history of medical issues causing him to quit, a track record of winning and if possible, developing QB's in the NFL.   But I'm not making the decision.

You are remembering wrong.. (don't mean to sound rude)

The Gators post Spurrier hired Ron Zook who led them to the following records:

8 - 5  (Lost Outback Bowl)
7 - 4 (Fired) (Team lost Peach Bowl)

This counts as rebuilding a program especially considering the standard that Spurrier set.

OSU:

Took over from the debacle of sanctions that Tressel left and the 6 - 7 record of Luke Fickle in 2011. Again this was rebuilding a program.

At both of his stops at Major Power 5 programs he was taking over troubled/down programs and had to build them back up.

Even at Utah he took over for a program that went 5 - 6 the year before.

So yes comparatively coming into the situations at Florida and OSU could well be similar to coming into an NFL team that has struggled.

This doesn't mean that personally I think this is the right fit, but to dismiss his ability to build/rebuild a team ""from scratch" (honestly that was a poor choice of words) is a bit disingenuous.   

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10338 on: January 14, 2021, 06:44:51 PM »
Urban Meyer hired as head coach...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #10339 on: January 14, 2021, 07:43:34 PM »

Jags fans:  Lot J?  That's so yesterday....!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:48:29 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10340 on: January 14, 2021, 09:01:30 PM »

Right???

;D ;D ;D

Seriously, timing couldn't be more perfect for a fresh start.

After this bitterly contentious Lot J slog and some really nasty words from all sides, all of this excitement and change is a real opportunity for all parties involved (minus Curry, who has proven himself a detriment to both sides) to hit the reset button and move in a positive direction.

Love the early talk from Urban Meyer and Shad Khan about Jacksonville's passionate fanbase and delivering the fans the winning product they deserve.

Love the hype from all the people who were ready to let the Jags walk a few weeks ago.

Season ticket deposits are apparently going through the roof tonight (Jags' ticket manager claims 5x what they typically see).

And hopefully all parties can put Lot J in the past (but not the lessons learned from its failure) and turn the page to a new era for the franchise and Jacksonville.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10341 on: January 14, 2021, 09:49:27 PM »
How do UF fans feel about this hire? This would be like having Nick Saban move to Miami to coach the Canes a decade after abandoning the Dolphins.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #10342 on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:59 PM »

Right???

;D ;D ;D

Seriously, timing couldn't be more perfect for a fresh start.

After this bitterly contentious Lot J slog and some really nasty words from all sides, all of this excitement and change is a real opportunity for all parties involved (minus Curry, who has proven himself a detriment to both sides) to hit the reset button and move in a positive direction.

Love the early talk from Urban Meyer and Shad Khan about Jacksonville's passionate fanbase and delivering the fans the winning product they deserve.

Love the hype from all the people who were ready to let the Jags walk a few weeks ago.

Season ticket deposits are apparently going through the roof tonight (Jags' ticket manager claims 5x what they typically see).

And hopefully all parties can put Lot J in the past (but not the lessons learned from its failure) and turn the page to a new era for the franchise and Jacksonville.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!!

We might actually be in the best possible timeline.

Lot J was a bad deal, and we killed it. Now Khan is smoothing everything over with Urban and Lawrence. Everyone wins!

The only downside is that the Landing was demolished, which doesn’t leave an easy place to celebrate (assuming things are normal by the start of the season). My shower thought is to build some temporary structures and bring in food trucks (perhaps on Lot J) and just have a big outdoor cocktail party. For the long run, I’d really like to chase Cordish down and see if they’d do a different (likely smaller, AKA accurately priced) deal, perhaps on a different lot like Ennis has suggested.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10343 on: January 14, 2021, 10:26:29 PM »
^Preach, Marcus!

Agree with all of this.

We've got no shortage of shovel-ready city-owned property downtown.

Would love to see the Live! component in particular still end up happening one day.

Ken_FSU

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #10345 on: January 15, 2021, 08:48:53 AM »
Colin Cowhert, for the first time in a loooong time, had something very positive to say about the Jags and this new territory we find ourselves in. "The Jags just went from an $8 stock to a $60 stock [with the additions of Urban and soon-to-be Trevor Lawrence]".

Shad has swung for the fences here and there's no denying it. It's been far too long since the last time the fan base could say the future looked bright. And boy does it ever now.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10346 on: January 15, 2021, 09:15:57 AM »
One small step for man, one giant leap for Duval

Whether or not he lives up to the hype... I'm just going to enjoy the euphoria for a moment, and count the days until I can buy that Jags Trevor Lawrence jersey  :)

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10347 on: January 15, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »
^When people talk about the intangible benefits of having an NFL franchise that aren’t necessarily going to be captured on any balance sheet, today’s a really good example of that. Just walking the streets, listening in the coffee shop, hearing the buzz in the office, there’s a real sense of excitement and swagger about what the 1-2 punch of Urban Meyer and Trevor Lawrence might mean for the coming generation here in the city. The Jags are such an important part of our community’s fabric and unifier for citizens of all walks of life here in our 800 square mile city.

Said it already, but fate could not possibly have handed all sides a better opportunity to hit the reset button and leave any bad feelings about Lot J behind.

Sincerely hope this is day one of an amazing new era for the Jags in Jacksonville.

jaxjags

« Reply #10348 on: January 15, 2021, 12:24:22 PM »

You are remembering wrong.. (don't mean to sound rude)

The Gators post Spurrier hired Ron Zook who led them to the following records:

7 - 4 (Fired) (Team lost Peach Bowl)

This counts as rebuilding a program especially considering the standard that Spurrier set.

OSU:

Took over from the debacle of sanctions that Tressel left and the 6 - 7 record of Luke Fickle in 2011. Again this was rebuilding a program.

At both of his stops at Major Power 5 programs he was taking over troubled/down programs and had to build them back up.

Even at Utah he took over for a program that went 5 - 6 the year before.

So yes comparatively coming into the situations at Florida and OSU could well be similar to coming into an NFL team that has struggled.

This doesn't mean that personally I think this is the right fit, but to dismiss his ability to build/rebuild a team ""from scratch" (honestly that was a poor choice of words) is a bit disingenuous.   

First I must say that I cannot predict if Urban will fail or succeed, only time will tell. Also it is clear this hire has energized the Jags base. But to say because he can rebuild college teams doesn't mean he can rebuild in the NFL. Here are some thoughts on that.

College is all about recruiting and you have a very large talent base too draw from. What player wouldn't want to play at Alabama, Ohio State or Florida regardless of the coach. Obviously the NFL is totally different.

College roosters are huge compared to the NFL. This gives college coaches a large talent pool to draw from when injuries occur and to stockpile players(Mac Jones) for future years. A lot of big school backups could start at other colleges.

More and more college freshman are starting due to improved HS programs and improved physical ability. Only the exceptional rookie is a successful starter in the NFL. Speed and complexity of the game make it harder for rookies to succeed.

One important area for all coaches is ability to recognize talent. I give Urban a plus here.

Again not saying he can't rebuild an NFL team, just pointing out the processes are very different.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10349 on: January 15, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »