Author Topic: Park and King After 5 Street Festival  (Read 7318 times)

jaxlore

Re: Park and King After 5 Street Festival
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »
looking forward to this, should be fun.

Noone

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »
I'm in. Can't wait. 11 days out. Low tide is in the am. This Dist.14 event will be awesome. Councilman Jim Love and I paddled Hogans Creek. Who wants to paddle McCoys creek, Hogans, or under the Hyatt. See the promised 680' Downtown Public Pier. Fishweir Creek is silted in. Weather permitting. Field, your Making it Happen. 

summac

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
CONSIDERING THAT ALL RESIDENTIAL STREETS IN RIVERSIDE ALLOW PUBLIC PARKING!!!! THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY PARKING ISSUES!!!!

north miami

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »

Critical Mass!
It is wonderful to see the transformation of Park & King.So cool,satisfying to know my City Council person is so connected tp P&K.
With so much Wonderful throughout Avondale and Five Points the draw to Park & King did not tug with compelling force however I have patronized Carmines twice inside seven days.Last Saturday after Hogans Creek Coastal Cleanup I was back for round two,this time by myself.Sat at the bar,wonderful plate,superb service,attentive owner,who had been up all night with artists creating murals,happy staff,great crowd....and the Beer on the wall.
Reminds me of New York City gems.
Eclectic- among the bumper stickers one that really hit home:Jesus Loves You.....Everyone Else Thinks You're An A.. Hole. Gulp.....

looking forward to this P&K event.

MusicMan

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
RE Pele's Fire: I thought he would just set up right in front of his soon to be location. I assume that would not be allowed?

PeeJayEss

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 08:55:50 AM »

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
Just for the record, I understood Finehoe's tongue-in-cheek poke at downtown parking issues.  LOL.  By the way, I look forward to going to the pub crawl if I can make it...
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
RE Pele's Fire: I thought he would just set up right in front of his soon to be location. I assume that would not be allowed?

Not according to the rules that govern transient vendor locations outside of downtown.  Have him call me, but as of a month and a half ago there was no interest when I spoke to them.

It is wonderful to see the transformation of Park & King.So cool,satisfying to know my City Council person is so connected tp P&K.

I absolutely agree NM!  This is a great opportunity to celebrate the revitilization of this area.  Jim has been fantastic in his leadership... both in making this revitilzation happen, and being a BIG help to all of us for making this street festival happen.

johnny_simpatico

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »
Finehoe's tongue-in-cheek remark is well taken.  The parking issue downtown is bogus.  If anything there is too much parking.  Walk a couple of blocks in any one direction and what percentage of the square footage is taken up by garages and parking lots? 50%? 40%? 

Look around at the places people are eager to visit.  New York, for example, has got to be the worst place in the United States to park a car.  Does that stop it from having vital commercial centers (downtown, midtown, and uptown)? 

The Landing is a disaster because it is poorly managed.  They could build a 5,000-car garage next door and not a single additional client will enter the place.

If they were to raze the Landing and erect a riverfront streetscape with on-street parking (a kind of King Street on the water, but with a denser concentration of buildings), people might be actually want to go there.  Maybe then they'll think of retail on the street fronts of those horrible parking garages.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
Honestly... can we all keep the Jacksonville Landing outside of this thread?  Please?!

We've worked pretty hard putting this together and would like to invite you all to come out for the Park and King After 5 festival.  You pay $5 for a mug and you'll enjoy $2 drafts at participating merchants and merchants that aren't usually open late will be open for you to stop in and see what's been happening in this once blighted commercial corridor.  There will also be other activitites as well.

If anyone has questions, comments or suggestions regarding Park and King After 5... please post them in this thread.

Thank you

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 03:56:10 PM »
Agreed, Fieldafm!
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

urbaknight

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
This is very cool! If I can manage to hold on to a few bucks til the end of the month, I'll be there!

MissMinda

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
It says "fun for the whole family" but all I'm hearing is mugs and beer. What makes it fun for the kids? It doesn't have to be...it can be just an adult evening, but since I read that, I'm curious.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
MissMinda
A full list of events will be posted on the site next week.

To everyone else, the metrojacksonville.com/pubcrawl link is updated so you can now pre-order your mugs.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
It says "fun for the whole family" but all I'm hearing is mugs and beer. What makes it fun for the kids? It doesn't have to be...it can be just an adult evening, but since I read that, I'm curious.

I second that!  While I believe that families and children are nice, I also believe that a pub crawl should be true to its nature --- a pub crawl.  Am I mistaken in this belief?
John Louis Meeks, Jr.