Author Topic: Say Goodbye to Boomtown... For Now  (Read 2558 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Say Goodbye to Boomtown... For Now
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:48:34 AM »
By Lindy Thackston
First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- Hemming Plaza is the heart of downtown Jacksonville.

Some people say Boomtown is where you find the soul.

"It actually brings art of all kinds to everyday man," said John Allen Harrett.

Harrett opened Boomtown with Stephen Dare more than five years ago.

They combined Harrett's love of art of all kinds with Dare's love of cooking eclectic cuisine.

"In high school we skipped every Wednesday, took the bus, and came to Hemming Park and so I always grew up wanting to be a part of the city," said Dare.

"We started in Springfield, and we watched that blossom," said Dare. "Coming back downtown and watching it come alive, it's been an awesome, wonderful experience."

The first Wednesday of every month is the Art Walk in downtown Jacksonville.

It's a time for people like G.M. Palmer to show off their stuff.

He is a poet and he etches his writings into blown glass.

He's been utilizing Boomtown for years.

"I came down on a Wednesday night back when they were still in Springfield," said Palmer. "I said this place is fantastic and you guys are wonderful."

But Wednesday night, Palmer arranged his artwork on a Boomtown table for the last time, Dare prepared his final Wednesday night meal, and Harrett welcomed art walkers for the last time.

"The building that we're currently in has been sold," said Harrett.

"How do I feel about it?" said Dare. "A little bit miffed.

for full article: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=83673
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Suzanne Jenkins

Re: Say Goodbye to Boomtown... For Now
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »
I don't know where I'll get my "fusion" fix for food.  I guess I'll just have to go cold turkey to lose my addiction! ;)

jbm32206

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:51:42 AM »
I know I'm not alone in feeling quite sad to see Boomtown leave. It was a wonderful place, filled with delightful people and was indeed, an asset to the area. It helped bring back life...now, it's gone and what's left....it's sad, very sad!

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
Thank you so much for all you did for me, my family and my friends.  Good luck in all your endeavors! 
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586