Author Topic: Inside The Dr. Horace Drew Residence  (Read 58613 times)

John P

Re: Inside The Dr. Horace Drew Residence
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
Most people on metrojacksonville know a lot about Springfield. It has its own website too myspringfield.org. It is a text book transitional neighborhood.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:35 AM »
Was by thre Thursday.  More vandalism on the inside.  Pictures I took are posted on PHOTOS BY BIG CHEESE on FaceBook.  It is starting to decay at a more rapid pace, at least it seems that way to me.

Timkin

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
Too bad the bank/ or cannot at least spring for a tarp to help the roof shed water.   It has such extensive water damage now, that the tiles have nothing to be nailed to , in some places.

From settling , the concrete sills under some of the windows are crumbling. The block has a gross sagging pattern in it from back to front of the house.   It is running out of time.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
We have already discussed our views on the matter.  You know how I feel.  I have little hope left for it.  After my look-see the other day.  I am still going to compare my pics. from way back and see the changes.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
We have already discussed our views on the matter.  You know how I feel.  I have little hope left for it.  After my look-see the other day.  I am still going to compare my pics. from way back and see the changes.

There's hope left for it.   ;)

sheclown

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »

There's hope left for it.   ;)

Indeed.  We've seen much worse brought back.

Timkin

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
Bill/Sheclown... Do you have any idea who to contact?  I would be willing to help maintain the property...the yard ,etc. if I could obtain formal permission from whoever owns it.

The Drew House needs all the help it can get.. post haste !

sheclown

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »
We are working on it Timkin.  We monitor it constantly and make whatever safety corrections we can.

Timkin

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
^ please let me know if I can help out. 

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »
Count me in.  You know how much I love it.

sheclown

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »
will do!

cmccain

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
I recently moved near the corner of 4th and Pearl. I live directly up the street from the Dr. Horace Drew House.  Before moving into the neighborhood I have always been intrigued by this house. It is sad to see it in such horrible condition. I would love to help monitor the property or clean up of the property. This house is one of the most unique home in Springfield. It needs to be saved and preserved for generations to come.

JaxUnicorn

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:22 AM »
I recently moved near the corner of 4th and Pearl. I live directly up the street from the Dr. Horace Drew House.  Before moving into the neighborhood I have always been intrigued by this house. It is sad to see it in such horrible condition. I would love to help monitor the property or clean up of the property. This house is one of the most unique home in Springfield. It needs to be saved and preserved for generations to come.
Welcome to the best neighborhood in Jacksonville!!  And thanks for your support.
Kim Pryor...Historic Springfield Resident...PSOS Founding Member

Timkin

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »
Drew House needs some love.    Lets give it some love.

iloveionia

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2013, 09:15:14 AM »
Yes indeed it does.
When in town movedsouth makes regular visits there and cleans the front porch.
Currently (though it may not look like it) the property is secured (thanks sheclown) to prevent entrance from squatters,vandals and the like, though clearly upper windows need to be boarded to keep the weather out.
There are others I know who keep an eye on the Castle and do what they can to cut back overgrowth, pick up trash and move out peeps who don't belong. 
PSOS does have permission from the owner's attorney to be on the property and work to keep it safe.  The bank has the ability to put the home in the hands of an owner (or two or three, gheesh, they have choices) to breath life back into her.  But (as banks do) they hem and haw and drag out the process while the house continues to deteriorate and is destroyed by floaters with complete disregard. 
Our hands are tied so we triage in the meantime.
Her time will come, and hopefully sooner than later.