Author Topic: THEME PARK JACKSONVILLE  (Read 56458 times)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
THEME PARK JACKSONVILLE
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »

What we don't have...

I don't think you are right about that, in fact I think a moderate sized park is long overdue for several reasons.

VALDOSTA:

There are 134,000 people in the Valdosta, Georgia metro area.
Region has as one Air Force Base and one Marine Supply Depot
One large State Park nearby
Has regional commercial airport
Wild Adventures is in Valdosta Georgia, isolated on a back road that ends at a paper mill, and it is doing great.
Wild Adventures draws from one Interstate Highway and three U.S. Highways.
Wild Adventures is 117 miles (two hours) away from Jacksonville.
Wild Adventures is 209 miles from Orlando. ...and 234 from Atlanta. ...and 432 from Miami. and finally 693 from Cincinnati, Ohio, consistently the center of Florida Visitation on I-75.

JACKSONVILLE:

There are 1,328,144 people in Jacksonville, Florida metro area.
Region has 3 major Naval Bases, 1 Marine Corps Base, 3 Coast Guard Bases, 1 Army/Guard training Base
Has more state and national parks within an hours drive then any other city in America.
Has a BEACH and major river and international airport.
Has 4 Interstate Highways and 5 U.S. Highways
317 miles to Atlanta, 344 miles to Miami, 710 from Washington, D.C. and the Northeast Corridor.  On the route of virtually all traffic between the northeast and Florida.

Any park could be located at or near the junction of I-95 and I-295 SOUTH which would logistically catch all eastbound traffic on I-10 heading south, and all I-95 traffic, and all beltway traffic.
The local population, hungry for recreation would flood the place daily, and the Florida visitors would have a first shot at fantasyland USA.

Oh no! Theme Park in Jacksonville is all about LOGISTICS, and as long as the owner didn't try to out spent Disney, he or she would succeed beyond their wildest dreams. This is why I keep coming back to the idea of a creek side old style, family, TROLLEY PARK on Hogan's Creek.

OCKLAWAHA

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:06:55 PM by Ocklawaha »

danem

• hoot hoot
Re: THEME PARK JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »
I like the idea of a theme park here. We sure have a lot of room.

Another Florida theme park would need its own differentiated theme and character so it never even gives the appearance of trying to compete with something else Florida has., e.g. Disney. "Hey kids, let's go to Jaxworld and meet Ricky Rodent and Mervin Mallard!"

Winter Haven is opening Legoland in October (replacing the defunct Cypress Gardens). Now THAT's unique for Florida!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:07:30 PM by Ocklawaha »

iMarvin

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »
OMG you did not just bump this thread.

Yessir it has been offically bumped!!!

What does it mean when you bump a thread?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:07:45 PM by Ocklawaha »

cline

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
Wild Adventures is in Valdosta Georgia, isolated on a back road that ends at a paper mill, and it is doing great.

Actually it had to file for bankruptcy protection a few years ago.  I wouldn't say it is doing great.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:08:02 PM by Ocklawaha »

duvaldude08

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »
I love the idea of a small to medium sized park here also. I guess what I wonder is do kids even have an interest in riding merry-go-round's and things like that nowadays? Merry go rounds, ferris wheels, ski ball...etc are great for nostalgia purposes but I would think a park would have to have something that offers a wide appeal for people.

Thats what I evison for the shipyards property.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:08:21 PM by Ocklawaha »
Jaguars 2.0

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
Doesn't sound like it was attendance that clobbered them, it was HURRICANES.

On September 25, 2007, Wild Adventures was sold because of bankruptcy requirements. Adventure Parks Group LLC, announced that Cypress Gardens Adventure Park in Winter Haven and Wild Adventures park in Valdosta, Ga., would be sold to the highest bidder in a private auction starting Sept. 25. The sale would fulfill requirements resulting from a Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection filing by Adventure Parks Group a year ago, but it does not mean the end of either theme park.

Much of the company's financial difficulties can be traced to 2004, when three hurricanes (Hurricane Charley, Hurricane Frances and Hurricane Jeanne) ravaged East Polk County, Florida and left a trail of destruction at Cypress Gardens.

On September 25, 2007, The Ledger reported that Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation had purchased Wild Adventures for $34.4 million.[1]

Upon Herschend taking over the park, they had the Gauntlet removed and indicated that they do not plan on opening the Shaka Zula River Adventure log flume ride. However, Herchend did bring in the new ride, The Rattler, the first new ride in three years, which opened March 21, 2008.[2] It is a Huss Frisbee type flat-ride manufactured by Moser Rides of Italy. Also, in 2008, the Tiger Terror rollercoaster was sold and moved to Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, Florida and renamed to "Tasmanian Tiger".

In February 2009, the American post-apocalyptic zombie comedy Zombieland was partly filmed at Wild Adventures.

Before the 2010 season, the largest number of rides have been added and removed. The Gold Rush rollercoaster had been removed. The Mystery Maze had been removed. The Viking Voyage roller coaster had been added along with two new flat rides, Whirling Wildcats and Falcon Flyers. All three rides were from the now defunct Celebration City in Branson, Missouri. In 2010, The Bug Out rollercoaster was renamed to "Go Bananas". The S&S Doubleshot was renamed to "Firecracker"

Splash Island Water Park
Splash Island Entrance

Splash Island is a Polynesian themed water park and is free with admission into Wild Adventures. It takes up 27 acres (110,000 m2) of the 177-acre (0.72 km2) park with 7 rides, and 5 shops. Splash Island first opened in 2003 being Wild Adventures largest expansion since rides were introduced in 1999.

When Splash Island was opened it had no themeing and looked more like a community pool center. In 2008, Wild Adventures announced that Splash Island would undergo a 4 million dollar renovation turning the park into a Polynesian themed paradise. Wild Adventures also announced their intent to build a new ride, the Wahee Cyclone.
[edit] Rides

* Bonzai Pipeline

3 Inter-twined slides featuring the tallest slides in Georgia built in 2004

* Catchawave bay

A large 25,000-square-foot (2,300 m2) wave pool built in 2003

* Hakini Rapids

A 5-Story "Family Sized" water slide with unexpected turns and drops built in 2011

* Kalani Blasters

2 Medium sized inter-twined slides built in 2003

* Kona Cliffs

A giant, "Family Sized" speed slide with three drops built in 2011

* Paradise River

A relaxing "lazy river" through the water park built in 2003

* Polynesian Adventure

A giant 4 story water fortress built in 2003

* Wahee Cyclone

A large 5 story water tornado built in 2009

* Sea Turtle Cove

A small water play area for younger children built in 2006

OCKLAWAHA
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:08:36 PM by Ocklawaha »

hillary supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
i have believed for years that a larger wave surfpark would be perfect for jax tourism. If done properly and designed (generally) for the sport of surfing, it would be the only one of its kind.
Surfers (particularly of our atlantic coast) are irritated by inconsistancy of surfing waves.
Large wavepark+ consistant surf+ only one of its kind= $$$

cline

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »
i have believed for years that a larger wave surfpark would be perfect for jax tourism. If done properly and designed (generally) for the sport of surfing, it would be the only one of its kind.
Surfers (particularly of our atlantic coast) are irritated by inconsistancy of surfing waves.
Large wavepark+ consistant surf+ only one of its kind= $$$

There were plans a few years ago for a Ron Jon Surfpark in Orlando.  It actually broke ground but had all kinds of issues and now it is not happening.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »
A Ron Jon Surfpark  on the Fair grounds if they are moving.
Lenny Smash

CG7

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »
if we enhanced some of what we have i.e. an aquarium addition to the MOSH- it would go great with the new fountain. rebuild the Southbank Riverwlk with actual amenities (more fountains, artwork, boat docks for boaters and for bigger ships for tours) add a naval ship to the shipyards, and proceed with plans for a theme park there. Have sally Industries put a few dark rides in the Landing, along with a T Rex or other theme restaurants. Then you connect these together with river taxis and the skyway (and what the hell a streetcar or two). That sure sounds like fun, and unlike any other place in Florida, or beyond. 

hillary supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »

There were plans a few years ago for a Ron Jon Surfpark in Orlando.  It actually broke ground but had all kinds of issues and now it is not happening.
A Ron Jon Surfpark  on the Fair grounds if they are moving.
Exactly...perhaps if we would be aggressive, and find out those drawbacks, we could take advantage. To compete against Orlando is one difficult task. We must have some thing they dont!
Surfing is bigtime, those punks are movers and shakers today. And its a versatile sport one that can be accessible for everyone. The waves can be adjustable to a schedule. Yes the Fair Grounds would be perfect!  

Yossarianlives

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »
A Theme Park in Jacksonville doesn't NEED to compete with anyone in central Florida or the gulf coast.  A small park can be profitable AND entertaining.  My hometown had Waldameer Park and Water World (check out the website http://www.waldameer.com/) Erie PA only has 120,000 people yet it supported this small but entertaining park for a hundred years.  Something like this in Jacksonville COULD pull in people from St. Augustine and Savannah but fully be supported by only the city of Jax if needed.  Now we just need someone to fund it......

Best.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
Still a more unique attraction wouldn't hurt.  All of the suffers in Florida who like like to catch an 8 foot wave every so often.
Lenny Smash

hillary supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-srTtMf2RI
This could be paired down a bit as with a retractable dome, ect.
And could accommodate Yossarianlives thoughts
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:28:17 PM by hillary supporter »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
Toss this attraction intoour vision of a Old Fashioned Trolley Park in downtown...

First imangineer you are able to EXPERIENCE JACKSONVILLE in 1920...

600' pier, with arcades, canoe rentals, boat supplies, food and container lodging... toss a small aerial tram in from land side to near the end of the pier. Simply MUST HAVE dancing and dining on the pier.

THINK STEAMBOAT or GINGERBREAD with a mix of PRAIRIE SCHOOL and ART DECO for a village look.

scatter rides, shopping, arcades, gallery's, high quality theaters, along Hogan's Creek.

Add educational paddles, wetlands micro-zoo, river life experiences, walks, rides.

Plop down one standard 6 story resort hotel with several dining options.

and top off the park with a dynamite roller coaster.

Fill in the voids with traditional rides and a few wild hair zingers like the surf park, and decorate them to look absolutely permanent with the architecture models listed above.

Add one standard American Bandstand and classic picnic grounds.

Some REALLY great carnival food joints.

A couple of park clowns... I'd personally go for the HOBO look to highlight the 1920's theme.

Connect to huge Southbank Parking lot via Skyway on Bay Street.

and add the grand star of the show, connecting the Terminal, Gateway Mall, Riverside, Brooklyn parking to DOWNTOWN and the THEME PARK via real VINTAGE STREETCARS collected from around the world via a Beaver Street (Alignment) -A.P. Randolph - Duval Street - Newnan Street 'turn-around' Loop.

Lastly make an effort (a non monetary one) to recruit IKEA-BASS PRO to the Shipyards site, as both already have waterfront marina stores it would be a natural fit and they don't have to rely on local customer convenience to make it, their customers will find them even traveling hundreds of miles to shop there. While not necessary to the success of the Trolley Park, it would be the coup d'état of a new downtown.

OCKLAWAHA

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:37:53 PM by Ocklawaha »