Author Topic: THEME PARK JACKSONVILLE  (Read 55532 times)

Timkin

Re: THEME PARK JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »
I love the idea of a small to medium sized park here also. I guess what I wonder is do kids even have an interest in riding merry-go-round's and things like that nowadays? Merry go rounds, ferris wheels, ski ball...etc are great for nostalgia purposes but I would think a park would have to have something that offers a wide appeal for people.

Thats what I evison for the shipyards property.

Or Brooklyn or La Villa .   All have the land area.  all are mostly vacant

iMarvin

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I love the idea of a small to medium sized park here also. I guess what I wonder is do kids even have an interest in riding merry-go-round's and things like that nowadays? Merry go rounds, ferris wheels, ski ball...etc are great for nostalgia purposes but I would think a park would have to have something that offers a wide appeal for people.

Thats what I evison for the shipyards property.

Or Brooklyn or La Villa .   All have the land area.  all are mostly vacant

I don't think there should be a park built in the middle of La Villa or Brooklyn. The shipyards maybe, but not La Villa Brooklyn. These areas are historical areas that should be filled with businesses and houses. A park like that would just make it harder for people to move in the area. And something like that would definitely remove the little street grid that is in place now.

Timkin

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
All of downtown is historical..  While I understand your point, mine is that both of these areas  WERE neighborhoods, they were almost totally destroyed and vacant blocks for miles replace both.  About the only reason why I would side with the shipyards site, is that is water front.

Brooklyn  was supposed to have a great development of a mixture of homes and commercial.. in fact that is why most of it was leveled.    almost 10 years later, I am still looking at blighted vacant land .

iMarvin

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
All of downtown is historical..  While I understand your point, mine is that both of these areas  WERE neighborhoods, they were almost totally destroyed and vacant blocks for miles replace both.  About the only reason why I would side with the shipyards site, is that is water front.

Brooklyn  was supposed to have a great development of a mixture of homes and commercial.. in fact that is why most of it was leveled.    almost 10 years later, I am still looking at blighted vacant land .

I understand what you're saying but with a park like that, you would see the same thing. If any park was ever proposed, any land they needed would get leveled, but it would probably never get built. Brooklyn or La Villa have a better chance of becoming vibrant again with residential and commercial than a park like that.

Timkin

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
If we continue on the same course as the last 50 years, IMarvin, its not going to happen anyway.

I really cannot believe we leveled Brooklyn to replace it with what we now see.  Huge waste of money.  Much  like downtown..  Everything that was really beautiful or significant ,or as you deemed it, Historic ( and you are VERY right)  was leveled to be replaced with ugly glass Hi-rise buildings, most of which are sitting mostly vacant,  Parking garages (economically a big money-loser, ugly as hell, and certainly not an attraction for downtown) and blighted vacant lots, or the foundations of historic structures.  Our past leaders, councils , and mentality have called all of this part of the Master plan ......some master plan.. with that plan in place, and continuing on course with that, you can pick your spot for a theme-park because there will soon be nothing left.. other than these mostly vacant hi rises

cityimrov

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
Sounds like a great idea.  So, who's going to put down the money to build one?

Timkin

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »
exactly.. the same people who were going to build Brooklyn Park ..:)

iMarvin

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
If we continue on the same course as the last 50 years, IMarvin, its not going to happen anyway.

You're right about that.

I really cannot believe we leveled Brooklyn to replace it with what we now see.  Huge waste of money.  Much  like downtown..  Everything that was really beautiful or significant ,or as you deemed it, Historic ( and you are VERY right)  was leveled to be replaced with ugly glass Hi-rise buildings, most of which are sitting mostly vacant,  Parking garages (economically a big money-loser, ugly as hell, and certainly not an attraction for downtown) and blighted vacant lots, or the foundations of historic structures.  Our past leaders, councils , and mentality have called all of this part of the Master plan ......some master plan.. with that plan in place, and continuing on course with that, you can pick your spot for a theme-park because there will soon be nothing left.. other than these mostly vacant hi rises

I never have, and probably never will, understand why some of our past leaders and councils have done the things they've done. There's no reason to level neighborhoods and buildings like they're nothing.

Timkin

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »

gosh I wish i could find a money source to save even one landmark building.. The idea of a Theme park or rebuilding an entire area that was wiped out ,for the sake of making something ultra-modern that never got off the ground (well, except the demolition part.. that went great) , just seems so out of reach.  We are just tossing ideas around here, and mine was simply to replace this vacant blight with something.  Replace it with residential /commercial  if you like, but I don't see how we can build ANYTHING with nothing.  Seems to me we have an abundance of vacant or forclosed on , or abandoned realestate and homes.   a Theme park is something we do not have.  I would support the idea. I just do not know if our economy would allow us to support it.

To me ,revitalizing downtown would mean , turning it back to what WORKED.  When we changed that , it was ruined, and has never recovered.  We had Dixieland Park.. it was NOT downtown but adjacent to,  sort of like  LaVilla or Brooklyn.    These places WERE Historic.. now they are vacant blocks and blocks and blocks of nothing , so the only thing historic about them are the memories.. there is nothing left..  Brooklyn has very little fabric and LaVilla has even less.   The Notion that the Shipyards property would become viable with a theme park , I would have to see similar examples to see how they worked out. I mean it all sounds good in theory... but no one is going to plunk down a multimillion dollar  venture like that without pretty good assurance that it would return the investment..   

iMarvin

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »

gosh I wish i could find a money source to save even one landmark building.. The idea of a Theme park or rebuilding an entire area that was wiped out ,for the sake of making something ultra-modern that never got off the ground (well, except the demolition part.. that went great) , just seems so out of reach.  We are just tossing ideas around here, and mine was simply to replace this vacant blight with something.  Replace it with residential /commercial  if you like, but I don't see how we can build ANYTHING with nothing.  Seems to me we have an abundance of vacant or forclosed on , or abandoned realestate and homes.   a Theme park is something we do not have.  I would support the idea. I just do not know if our economy would allow us to support it.

To me ,revitalizing downtown would mean , turning it back to what WORKED.  When we changed that , it was ruined, and has never recovered.  We had Dixieland Park.. it was NOT downtown but adjacent to,  sort of like  LaVilla or Brooklyn.    These places WERE Historic.. now they are vacant blocks and blocks and blocks of nothing , so the only thing historic about them are the memories.. there is nothing left..  Brooklyn has very little fabric and LaVilla has even less.   The Notion that the Shipyards property would become viable with a theme park , I would have to see similar examples to see how they worked out. I mean it all sounds good in theory... but no one is going to plunk down a multimillion dollar  venture like that without pretty good assurance that it would return the investment..   

I completely understand what you're saying. Instead of empty blocks of land, why not put something there that will bring people down there? It's no longer anything historic about it since all of the buildings are gone. But in this economy, no one will build anything without completely knowing they will make a profit.

Timkin

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
yes sir

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »

OCKLAWAHA  ;D

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »
hmmm idk...
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

cayohueso

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »
     Before anyone drops millions into more downtown entertainment venues, shouldn't we try to get rid of the aggressive bums and Midnight Massers? Isn't the useless Skyway enough of a carnival ride. Especially when there is the possibility of random assault? Can't wait to see how much the COJ would gouge people for parking at a theme park for god's sake...

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:30 AM »
^ Haven't been downtown much I guess.
Lenny Smash