Author Topic: Lumber Yards  (Read 1239 times)

acme54321

Lumber Yards
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
Don't know where else to put this...

Does anyone know of a good lumber yard in town?  I'm looking for furniture/interior kind of lumber.  Poplar, oak, cherry, etc.  Cheaper is good :D

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Re: Lumber Yards
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
are you looking for rough sawn or dressed lumber?

We buy most of ours from McEwen lumber but also a lot from Atlanta Hardwoods then dress it down at the shop, but I don't if either sells to the GenPub.

PM me with what you want and I'll work up a quote - I'll need species, sizes, rough or dressed, or just give me an idea of what you're trying to build and with what material and I can guesstimate it from there.

Don't buy the hardwoods from Woodcraft!  They're a great store for specialty bits and tools, but their wood is typically triple what I pay from a wholesaler.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Not exactly sure what I need now.  Just have some projects I'm thinking of down the road.  It would most likely be S2S or rough.  Thanks and I'll keep you in mind when I'm ready.'

And yes woodcraft's prices are a little high on wood :o
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:32:30 PM by acme54321 »

bobsim

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:26:38 AM »
 I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Carolina Lumber in Springfield yet. Very nice and helpful folks in a beautiful old building. It's worth a trip just to check out the place.

I buy specialty woods occasionally and find Woodcrafters prices high but I can justify the cost by being able to handle the material before I buy it and I have never left the store with an unanswered question. My girlfriend and I are in the process of building two wooden kayaks and the choice of woods used are based on color, grain and weight. We can go to Woodcrafters and pick out a particular piece of mahogany that has the grain pattern and color we want and is particularly light in weight. Not sure why but some woods vary in weight considerably and I like to be able to handle the material before buying it so it's worth the cost to me.

I have also bought from Florida Southern Plywood Corp. on west 5th street. They do have a good selection of hardwoods but you need to know what you want before going there, not oriented to the walk in customer, my last visit to the store/warehouse was in '07 and this may have changed. Their #:904 786 4382.

Keep an eye on the materials section of Craigslist too, if you don't need the wood right away you can find good deals there.

NR Westsider, I am looking for some 4/4 - 5/4 clear western red cedar, any suggestions?
GEORGIA PACIFIC  Peeing on our leg and calling it rain for over fifty years.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
 NR Westsider, I am looking for some 4/4 - 5/4 clear western red cedar, any suggestions?

Use Spanish Cedar instead.    ;D

It totally depends on what you're doing with it.  I was only semi-kidding with my first statement.  I'm not a big fan of the western red unless I'm doing arbor work or anything else that requires large timbers.  The spanish has, IMO, a nicer grain, it tends to machine a lot better and it still maintains itself very well when exposed to the elements.  It also takes stain awesomely.  

So bobsim, it's a personal choice, and really it depends on what you plan on doing with it.

And I did forget to mention Florida Southern, we use them a lot as well.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams