Author Topic: Census 2010: Why The Urban Core Matters  (Read 10278 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Census 2010: Why The Urban Core Matters
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:50 PM »
If you can't find things to do in this city, you are REFUSING to look

AGREED

However, if you can't find ANYTHING to do, or ANYONE to hang out with.  Grab a bottle of wine and a loaf of bread and go sit in one of our many waterfront parks or on our miles of beaches.  Or, if you're like me, grab a six pack and a bag of chips and go have a sit on the dock at Stinsen Park.

There is so much to do and so much going on, both in the natural world and man made, in our fair city.

My main problem is that I usually find out on Monday that an amazing event happened that I wasn't aware of.  A comprehensive calendar of all things wonderful for Jax would be amazing.  Especially if there were multiple calendars for social events, service events, civic events, and cultural events. Stephen..... you listening?

PeeJayEss

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »
Wild Wings chicken wing buffet is great if you want to get your fill at lunch.

Wait, is there actually a place that has a wing buffet? Like all you can eat wings? That might be worth coming out of meat-eating retirement...

Grab a bottle of wine and a loaf of bread and go sit in one of our many waterfront parks or on our miles of beaches.

How very Venetian! Add some cheese to complete the package.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
Wonder if your interested in meeting and brainstorming about it?

^ Definitely.  

I can't make it to the public meeting tonight, and Thurs-Sunday I'll be in DC.  I'll call you Sunday and we'll set something up.  My week next week looks wide open.  This is an idea I've had for a while and I think it would add a lot to the brand of metrojacksonville.

I-10east

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  What about BCBS who has over 4,000 employees on the southside, DB has 1,200+, Merrill has 2,000+, BoA has 1,000+, Vistakon has nearly 1,000....?  While these aren't headquarters, they're a TON of people.  

+100. I never understood the whole 'underplay thing' if A: If a freakin Fortune 500 is not located in the DT core like W/D (it's still in the damn city for gawdsakes!) or B: If the company isn't headquartered here in town. Nevermind all of those EMPLOYED people in town.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »
I have two calenders at work... one a work calender that I also program into Outlook, the other my social calender which is programmed into the Iphone.

I actually need a bigger calender for the social calender to fit all the stuff in.  It has no empty space for any day.  Most nights, I make choices as to what to do/what not to do between three events. 

I'll buy an 'under an hour' pizza at Mellow or Tommys(they let you call your order in ahead of time) OR Mr Taco if anybody wants ideas.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »
Mr Taco...? I'm there.

tufsu1

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »
isn't it interesting how a thread about the urban core melded into a discussion of restaurants on the southside?

brainstormer

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
I'm just jealous of your hour long lunches!  I get all of 25 minutes.   >:(

Timkin

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:55 AM »
I still suggest that the three of us take out Mr Simms, next time he is in town, until he is so sick of the Ironman Decathlon that he is crying to get back to the safety and quiet of Atlanta.

I honestly think Mr. Simms means very well :) .  Seems like a good kid !   ( Simms , Im 47..don't go beatin up on me now. ;) )

Timkin

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 01:09:04 AM »
I'm just jealous of your hour long lunches!  I get all of 25 minutes.   >:(

When I was doing printing equipment repair, 25 minutes for lunch was very very seldom. It was usually a drive-thru on the way to another call , if anything.   One hour?   LOL .. only with way advanced notice and good reason.  Seriously.

Timkin

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
partying ;)   ...   I think Im slightly past the Ironman Decathlon .  ;)   

And with regard to Simms, I was merely chiming in..   Can Captain Z and Field  out Ironman you?  ;)

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »
isn't it interesting how a thread about the urban core melded into a discussion of restaurants on the southside?

Such is the state of current affairs unfortunately.  Downtown really is a hassle, and I say that as being someone who goes downtown to patronize what's left of the small business landscape at least three times a week.

Can Captain Z and Field  out Ironman you?  ;)

Field has three gray hairs currently residing on his scalp, so my Ironmanning doesn't have quite the tensile strength it used to.  That being said, catch me out at Burrito Gallery and Dos Gatos after kickball tomorrow night and you'll get a glimpse of the Field of yesteryear.

Timkin

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
haha!!!  cool