Author Topic: Census 2010: Why The Urban Core Matters  (Read 10234 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Census 2010: Why The Urban Core Matters
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
There is a difference between the type of benefit you get from a company that wants a quality urban setting and one just looking for the cheapest sq ft cost in an office park.

So what would you say about a company that used to be downtown and then left for the Southside (Modis, for starters)?

That's what happens when you don't make improving your core a high priority.  Right now, there is simply no reason for most private companies to pay more to be located in an environment that does not offer the quality of life that should be expected for the associated costs.  Ultimately, if this doesn't change, many of these companies won't be leaving downtown to head to the Southside.  They'll be leaving Jacksonville altogether.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
QOL in Southside is pitiful. The traffic alone out near the SJTC at lunchtime is a disaster it ruins the QOL out there, in my opinion. What's funny is so many of these employers leaving DT thinks it's so great out there, even if their employees can't leave, go to lunch and get back to work within an hour or less.

KenFSU

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »
What's funny is so many of these employers leaving DT thinks it's so great out there, even if their employees can't leave, go to lunch and get back to work within an hour or less.

I would disagree with this statement. I work on the Southside, and we never have a problem fitting lunch into an hour. There are so many choices that you rarely have to wait too long for food or a table. Mellow Mushroom. Moe's. McAllisters. Subway. Jason's Deli. Tommy's Pizza. Copelands. Fridays. Seven Bridges. Hooters. Wing House. The Hibachi Grill. Chick Fila. Crispers. Qdoba. Panda Express. Five Guys. Rennas. Librettos. Chipotle. Wasabi. Mimis. Yo Sushi. Crazy Sushi. Cracker Barrell. Panera. PF Changs. Applebees. Bahama Breeze. California Pizza Kitchen. Firehouse. Jimmy Johns. The list just keeps going on and on. I never have any problems getting in and back to the office within an hour. If we're just talking numerous, diverse lunch options, the south side easily has downtown beat. Not that this particularly means anything, just saying :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:53:18 AM by KenFSU »

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »
Choices are great, but the traffic from JTB to Gate Pkwy to SJTC Blvd is pretty bad! I have experienced it too many times.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:06:04 AM by fsujax »

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
All of those restaurants and yet without a car you would starve.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
There is a difference between the type of benefit you get from a company that wants a quality urban setting and one just looking for the cheapest sq ft cost in an office park.

So what would you say about a company that used to be downtown and then left for the Southside (Modis, for starters)?
Good example of a company that was local and invested in the community that was purchased by a corporation hq ed out of town and changing it's priorities.

Lenny Smash

Captain Zissou

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
Mellow Mushroom. Moe's. McAllisters. Subway. Jason's Deli. Tommy's Pizza. Copelands. Fridays. Seven Bridges. Hooters. Wing House. The Hibachi Grill. Chick Fila. Crispers. Qdoba. Panda Express. Five Guys. Rennas. Librettos. Chipotle. Wasabi. Mimis. Yo Sushi. Crazy Sushi. Cracker Barrell. Panera. PF Changs. Applebees. Bahama Breeze. California Pizza Kitchen. Firehouse. Jimmy Johns.

I also work on the southside.  All of the restaurants that I highlighted in bold you have zero chance of doing in an hour.  PF CHANGS??? Surely, you jest. 

I haven't eaten at an Applebees or Fridays in about a decade, but I doubt they could get you in and out in an hour either.  The only places I regularly eat in Southside that you mentioned are Chick Fil A, Panda Express, Chipotle, Larry's, Publix Deli, Qdoba, and Subway.  When I'm able to splurge and go for a 90 minute meal I go to Crazy Sushi or Tommy's.  I mostly stick to Mr. Taco, Ninja Express, Hunt Club, Los Portales, and Markham's Deli over closer to my office.

PS- Wing House closed.

KenFSU

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
Mellow Mushroom. Moe's. McAllisters. Subway. Jason's Deli. Tommy's Pizza. Copelands. Fridays. Seven Bridges. Hooters. Wing House. The Hibachi Grill. Chick Fila. Crispers. Qdoba. Panda Express. Five Guys. Rennas. Librettos. Chipotle. Wasabi. Mimis. Yo Sushi. Crazy Sushi. Cracker Barrell. Panera. PF Changs. Applebees. Bahama Breeze. California Pizza Kitchen. Firehouse. Jimmy Johns.

I also work on the southside.  All of the restaurants that I highlighted in bold you have zero chance of doing in an hour.  PF CHANGS??? Surely, you jest. 

I haven't eaten at an Applebees or Fridays in about a decade, but I doubt they could get you in and out in an hour either.  The only places I regularly eat in Southside that you mentioned are Chick Fil A, Panda Express, Chipotle, Larry's, Publix Deli, Qdoba, and Subway.  When I'm able to splurge and go for a 90 minute meal I go to Crazy Sushi or Tommy's.  I mostly stick to Mr. Taco, Ninja Express, Hunt Club, Los Portales, and Markham's Deli over closer to my office.

PS- Wing House closed.

I can only tell you that I routinely do Mellow Mushroom, Tommy's, Copelands, Seven Bridges, the Hibachi Grill (if I'm thinking of the right place - the Japanese Buffet accross from the old Gallery Bistro/Chop House), Yo Sushi, Crazi Sushi, and Cracker Barrell in an hour. It's tight, but as long as you know what you want when you sit down, I never have any problems. PF Changs and California Pizza Kitchen are a whole lot tougher -- you're right -- but if you're ok going either at 11:00 or 1:15 instead of during the lunch rush (especially the Friday lunch rush), I've also pulled it off.

I also get the two confused, but I think I was actually thinking about Wing Zone, rather than Wing House.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
Japanese Buffet across from the old Gallery Bistro/Chop House)

Gotcha.  I was thinking of a different place.  This would work.

It is nice having all of those options, but from where I work (Belfort and Gate Pkwy), it is a 5 to 10 minute drive to get to those places.  If you were to use that yardstick to measure the amount of restaurants within that radius of the core, you'd hit every option in Riverside, San Marco, and Springfield.  Lakewood would be just a bit farther.   With those three neighborhoods and the CBD, that might eclipse our options on the Southside.

However, the hassles of parking, one way streets, and poorly cycled lights drastically increase the drive time within the CBD.

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
yep..we usually can do Mellow Mushroom and 7 Bridges in 45 minutes or so,...the problem is our office is by the Avenues so we spend another 20-30 minutes getting there and back

PeeJayEss

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
Young people want to move somewhere for three reasons:

1) To be near other young people so that eventually they can marry/find a partner more easily and have fun with their age group in the meantime (impossible in Jacksonville where there are no young, hip neighborhoods and everything is so spread out and the young people that are there are hitched and bearing children at 22 years of age)
2) To make a lot of money (impossible in Jacksonville)
3) To have an exciting life living in the city, being involved, and being able to do stuff you won't have the energy, time, or compliance to do later in life (impossible in Jacksonville where the lifestyle of a 34 year old mimics the lifestyle of a 54 year old...Ha)

See bold: speak for yourself!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »

Agreed.

Simms, holler at me next time you're in Jax.  I think you MIGHT even have a little fun if you're able to keep up with how I spend my weekends.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
yep..we usually can do Mellow Mushroom and 7 Bridges in 45 minutes or so,...the problem is our office is by the Avenues so we spend another 20-30 minutes getting there and back

So considering drive/walk time is also included in the typical lunch break, you can't eat at several of these places within a hour if your office isn't literally across the street or around the corner.  I'd agree with this.  Whenever I had lunch in the area, I always assumed it would take longer than an hour but I had and still have wiggle room when I'm in and out of the office.  Unfortunately, a lot of people don't.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
I would really love to know how you guys get in and out of Mellow in 45 minutes at lunch time.  That is always an hour and a half lunch for me, hence I rarely get to go anymore.  Seriously, if I can get there and back to the office within an hour... meet me up there and I'll buy the pizza!

Wild Wings chicken wing buffet is great if you want to get your fill at lunch.

Mr Taco is the bomb!  

You will usually see me at Larrys or Librettos.

Agreed.

Simms, holler at me next time you're in Jax.  I think you MIGHT even have a little fun if you're able to keep up with how I spend my weekends.

I know, right?

I think we need to just take out mr simms and show him all the sides of this city that his mom wouldnt let him go to!

You get in what you put in.  There is rarely a night when I am sitting at home all night.  And when I do it's only b/c of laundry/cleaning/lawn duties.

If you can't find things to do in this city, you are REFUSING to look.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:13:19 PM by fieldafm »

KenFSU

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »
I would really love to know how you guys get in and out of Mellow in 45 minutes at lunch time.

Yeah Lake, I'm literally right across the street, so that should definitely be factored in. Maybe 10 minutes total travel time for an hour long lunch break. An extra five to ten minutes of travel time would make most places a whole lot tighter lunch wise.

As far as how to do Mellow Mushroom in 45 minutes, it's all a matter of getting down to business. We always avoid getting there in that 12:00 to 12:30 window. We order both drinks and food as soon as we sit down, and we ask for a check when they bring out the food. By the time we're done eating, all we have to do is sign the receipt and walk out the door. It's a little frantic, but it gets the job done :)