Author Topic: Truman Capote in Springfield  (Read 13933 times)

sheclown

Truman Capote in Springfield
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »
The hearing on this is deferred until next month at Bill Killingsworth's request.

An interesting bit of info.  

This guy

Truman Capote

May have a connection to this house.  I'm waiting for further info, but his grandmother may have once owned this 1325 Laura Street.

sheclown

Re: Truman Capote in Springfield
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:20:23 PM »
Stephen, great stuff! 

Sometimes I get so focused on not losing the beauty of the old house, I forget about the complex history that surrounds Springfield.

Wild place.

iloveionia

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
And why indeed a house like this should remain standing.

Timkin

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
Fascinating information , Stephen.  :)   All the more reason this place should be spared.   I knew about Truman Capote (well, some of it.. did not know all of that :) )

sheclown

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:52:23 PM »
And I've heard back, it was 1604 Liberty Street where Truman Capote was almost run over, his grandmother's house.  You are correct Chris F.

That was an ugly dog not too long ago.  Now it is well on its way to beautiful -- on the corner of Liberty and 6th Street. 

It ought to have a plaque. 

drhandbook

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »

Circa 2008

iloveionia

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:16:08 PM »
^^ this is 1604 Liberty.
Very grateful folks are working on it.

drhandbook

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:20:53 AM »
Thanks for all of the extra history about my house! I'm trying my best to fix her up. I like the plaque idea! This house is not going anywhere as far as I know... Don't know where this demo gossip came from
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:00:52 PM by drhandbook »

iloveionia

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:07:32 AM »
^Thank YOU. 

sheclown

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »
Thanks for all of the extra history about my house! I'm trying my best to fix her up. I like the plaque idea! This house is not going anywhere as far as I know... Don't know where this demo gossip came from

It started with me, I'm afraid.  I was told that a house coming before HPC (and scheduled for demolition -- 1325 Laura Street) was the former home of Truman Capote.  This is why I put it out there.  And we were educated (thanks Stephen and Chris!).  Dialogue is good.

Your house, wonderful marvelous place that it is, is solid and good and we are so glad to have you working on her.

1325 Laura Street is still on the path toward demolition.  >:(

Timkin

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »
Why is it that the taxpayer is not the ones with the say-so of what stays and what goes?  Not right :(

uptowngirl

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »
I am so glad to see te work on the Liberty house, if ya'll remember this is the house we discussed with the shady real estate deal- several people in the neighborhood tried to buy it, but a realtor sold it to another realtor, and then listed it for 30K more and was not doing anything, the roof was shot and the porch needed rebuidling. While I am not thrilled at the process that was taken to get someone in the house, I am ultimately thrilled someone did get the house that is bringing her back!!!

sheclown

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
Why is it that the taxpayer is not the ones with the say-so of what stays and what goes?  Not right :(

Or the fact that its designation as a historic district isn't rigorously protected and respected.

drhandbook

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »
I am so glad to see te work on the Liberty house, if ya'll remember this is the house we discussed with the shady real estate deal- several people in the neighborhood tried to buy it, but a realtor sold it to another realtor, and then listed it for 30K more and was not doing anything, the roof was shot and the porch needed rebuidling. While I am not thrilled at the process that was taken to get someone in the house, I am ultimately thrilled someone did get the house that is bringing her back!!!

Actually thats the house catty corner from mine but who ever owns it now is doing some great work

sheclown

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »

Actually thats the house catty corner from mine but who ever owns it now is doing some great work

It truly looks great!!  That is becoming a nice little spot over there.