Author Topic: A Century of Florida's Tallest Skyscrapers  (Read 14062 times)

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: A Century of Florida's Tallest Skyscrapers
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »
Lake its time for a good feel thread about Jax.

I-10east

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »
All you see is a wall of white and blue in MIA. Hell, even in Jax's and Tampa's (postcard shot view) has more diversity than MIA. Maybe that why during Heat games etc. they show South Beach, because they are tired of seeing a wall of white & blue.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »
I-10 I go to Miami quite often and I just dont see what your seeing. I guess thats why we are all different. Anyway South Beach is a part of Miami and they always show DT Miami during any sporting events. Miami has its own flavor and feel and its a top destination for a reason. It will never resemble New York and it shouldnt.

I-10east

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
Nope, but you need to stop getting so upset when something is said negative about Jax. We've got alot of work to and its late in the ball game

It doesn't even bother me anymore (bashing Jax) because it happens so much; What irks me more is that if someone was to say the teeniest semi-negative thing about any other city outside of Jax, they will be witch-hunted down like I'm being now for my take on Miami's skyline.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
Your entitled to your opinion just as others are about Jacksonville.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »
Here's a feel good story about Jacksonville architecture. 

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-aug-a-jacksonville-landmark-prairie-school-architecture

This style sets us apart from every place in the Southeastern US.  We should embrace it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2010, 12:41:13 PM »
LOL. Although Stephen, I'm not the only one on this thread to think that Miami has a lack of diversity in it's skyline, those other guys left me hanging; I'm used to that though. I bet if I say "George Washington was the first U.S. president" someone would disagree with me. :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:44:04 PM by I-10east »

I-10east

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »
Thanks Lake for the feel good Jax thread. :)

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »
I must admit, I do like the Espirito Santo Plaza (new) and the Capital Lofts Building (old).  I think Miami's skyline has more variety than ours.  In the future, I would like to see architecture in Jax begin to grow to become more of a style of it's own.

Capital Lofts

Espirito Santo Plaza

For all you traditionalist out there, here is a link to a thread with images of the historic core of downtown Miami at street level.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=128365

The ESB building has one of the nicest hotels in Miami on the top few floors, the Conrad. You check in on the 25th floor and go up from there, the view is awesome. They have a bar with an outdoor deck on one of the higher floors you can smoke cigars and drink martinis way up there, outside. I wish we had anything at all like that in JAX.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
I love that morocco temple only thing missing is a few fire torches.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »
This is the view from the conrad hotel;

I-10east

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
I'm not too wild about ESB's design. It seems like alot of people love it though of course because of the arch. One time I was at a MIA gas station, and it had a full wine bar inside; I've never seen anything like that in my life, man that place was pimpin' LOL; Is the common in South FL? Because I never seen anything like that in Jax. IMO The roller coaster at Boomers! in Ft Lauderdale "Dania Beach Hurricane" is the best wooden coaster in FL. See, I'm not all negative South FL. :)  

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2010, 01:17:39 PM »
Don't forget the Burger King that serves beer!  I recall reading about that experiment going on in South Florida.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/22/news/companies/burger_king_whopper_bar/
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
Lol south Florida is crazy like that, you remember when the US-1 carwash by coconut grove has a Starbucks and a bar in it? It's gone downhill lately but I had never seen a carwash with anything but a crappy gift shop attached to it before that.

tufsu1

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2010, 01:47:33 PM »
yep....that condo building with the 10+ story square opening in the middle is what I call "lack of variety and imagination".

and the new concert hall...the epitome of boring architecture!

The buildings with square holes are just copies of the original version built on Brickell in the 1980s Tufsu get your timeline straight. It's got a cameo in Scarface with Al Pacino for chrissakes. Sorry you consider regurgitating a 30 year old design to be cutting edge. It WAS cutting edge back then. You kind of made my point for me didn't you?

dude...I didn't say anything about timelines....just making a point that Miami architecture hardly lacks imagination or variety