Author Topic: A Century of Florida's Tallest Skyscrapers  (Read 13903 times)

I-10east

Re: A Century of Florida's Tallest Skyscrapers
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »
I, for one, don't hate Miami.  I personally think that South Florida is amazing because it is more Florida than it is South Georgia...

To me, nothing is "more FL" than St Augustine and it's not in South Florida. I'll give you Tampa, and Miami (although it's color scheme is boring LOL) for better vistas than Jax, but IMO Orlando doesn't have much of a skyline compared to Jax. What's Orlando's skyline, the Epcot Center? LOL Everything else you said on this thread I totally agree with. :)

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »
Whats wrong with Miami being who Miami is and leave at that. This has nothing to do with the Jax isn't that fan club. Why try to change their identify to satisfy what someone else thinks their buildings should look like. If all our cities looked like New York and Chicago wow I would never leave my front door.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »
yep....that condo building with the 10+ story square opening in the middle is what I call "lack of variety and imagination".

and the new concert hall...the epitome of boring architecture!

The buildings with square holes are just copies of the original version built on Brickell in the 1980s Tufsu get your timeline straight. It's got a cameo in Scarface with Al Pacino for chrissakes. Sorry you consider regurgitating a 30 year old design to be cutting edge. It WAS cutting edge back then. You kind of made my point for me didn't you?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:28:50 AM by ChriswUfGator »

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
Constructed 1980 Tufsu;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis_Condominium

31 years ago yes that was cutting edge. Now it's cookie cutter, they're just regurgitating cheaper versions of it.

I-10east

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
Whats wrong with Miami being who Miami is and leave at that. This has nothing to do with the Jax isn't that fan club. Why try to change their identify to satisfy what someone else thinks their buildings should look like. If all our cities looked like New York and Chicago wow I would never leave my front door.

Why are you so defensive about Miami?

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 11:31:05 AM »
Why are you so critical of Miami? and I am a jax native so I have no hidden agenda.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
I must admit, I do like the Espirito Santo Plaza (new) and the Capital Lofts Building (old).  I think Miami's skyline has more variety than ours.  In the future, I would like to see architecture in Jax begin to grow to become more of a style of it's own.

Capital Lofts

Espirito Santo Plaza

For all you traditionalist out there, here is a link to a thread with images of the historic core of downtown Miami at street level.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=128365
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
Thats the one with the arch. One of my favorites.

I-10east

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
^^^Lack of diversity in it's skyline. Next time, I won't be critical about any city (just Jax of course) I'll make sure to say the obligatory stupid overplayed comments like "Even Nome, AK is blowing Jax outta the water", and "Jax will always be thirty years behind Syracuse" to keep up with the mandatory "Jax bashing" quota.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:03:19 PM by I-10east »

I-10east

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 11:46:16 AM »
Capital lofts, and Freedom Tower are some of Miami's very few highrises that isn't blue. Lake proved my point with Esprito and other two buildings (obligatory blue out).

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
I-10 east no one was bashing Jax in this thread. You often mention the Jax inferiority complex, but dont you think you get a little sensitive when someone mentions something positive about another city. And to be honest we are far behind where we should be. The only way to improve is to recognize your faults and mistakes and correct them. Not continually make the over and over. You've turned this into Jax bash thread no one else did.

I-10east

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
I must say Lake, I checked the skyscapercity link, and Miami has more historical fabric than I thought. Unfortunately the low/midrise type historical buildings are hidden and overshadowed by a wall of stark white highrise condos, and blue glass office towers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:01:49 PM by I-10east »

I-10east

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »
I-10 east no one was bashing Jax in this thread.

I agree. I was making a point if you bash Jax (or say something critical about Jax) on MJ, it's generally acceptable, but if you say something critical about another city (Like I was critical about Miami's skyline) then that's unacceptable, because Jax is the only city that you can say something critical about on MJ. 

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 12:04:12 PM »
So we can bash Miami skyline because their historical fabric is hidden by highrise and blue glass office tower/hotels, but dare not say anything about Jax lack of depth, density, and infrastructure downtown. I dont get it. Its ok to bash Miami, but leave darling Jax alone.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
I-10 east no one was bashing Jax in this thread.

I agree. I was making a point if you bash Jax (or say something critical about Jax) on MJ, it's generally acceptable, but if you say something critical about another city (Like I was critical about Miami's skyline) then that's unacceptable, because Jax is the only city that you can say something critical about on MJ.  

Nope, but you need to stop getting so upset when something is said negative about Jax. We've got alot of work to and its late in the ball game