Author Topic: The Park View Pavilion Coming Soon  (Read 93282 times)

BigGuy219

Re: The Park View Pavilion Coming Soon
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
the walgreens by mcdonald's is, though geographically close, a different world then state and union.  i'd be more concerned about the small pharmacy on 8th between market and hubbard.  if, on the other hand, you're thinking more ov the knickknacks and overpriced grocery section ov a walgreens-style pharmacy, i can't think ov any reason why state/union wouldn't be a lovely place for it.

I watch all the people who drive down those streets on the way to work each morning, and I can't help but think if they wouldn't flock in mass hysteria if a Dunkin' Donuts opened there.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
Take a drive down Baymeadows and count the number of Walgreens and CVS stores between Philips and 9A.  There are at least four not including the grocery stores in the same shopping centers.  8th & I-95 is far enough away for a CVS or Walgreens to cater to the downtown area.  Nevertheless, a Dunkin' Donuts would be pretty popular and they did look into the possibility of opening a store on Main a few years back. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

iloveionia

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
Dunkin' Donuts are orgasmic.
Bring it on!!!

tpot

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
Hmmm......well as others have said, I'll believe it when I see it......especially in this economy....

BigGuy219

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 05:29:47 PM »
Bring it on!!!

Someone should contact the local Dunkin' Donuts franchise owners (not the gas station ones, but the stand alone ones like south of San Marco) and bring them a rendering of this property with a DD featured instead of Walgreens. Anyone who stands on the street for 5 minutes and sees all the cars heading on and off the Matthews Bridge on the way to work will see dollar signs surrounding coffee and "on the run" treats.

They might bite, get in bed with the developer, and make this thing much easier to have "come soon." There's money here.

Not to pick an argument, Lake, but with the shelters and the other situation in the area, I just don't know if we want to put pills there.

KuroiKetsunoHana

• 黒い血の花
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 06:08:48 PM »
Bring it on!!!
i'll see your dunkin' donuts and raise you a krispy kreme.
天の下の慈悲はありません。

Singejoufflue

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
I think the concerns about a Walgreens seem a little paranoid.  Walgreens is in other high transient/crime neighborhoods and of all the drugstore chains, I think better understand the challenges.  It's proximity to the Rosa Parks station would really make the sometimes hour wait a bit more bearable. And not to mention the FSCJ students! That area would be perfect for a store that offers so many convenience items, and other than 7-11, I can't think of any other stores with that level of selection.  Toss in a coffee station (which Walgreens uses in other urban stores) and I think we have a hit.

Ernest Street

• Neighborhood Watchdog
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 08:51:55 PM »
Singejoufflue you are right, the nearest Pharmacy is the ABC/Walgreen's at Shands..No?..folks have to pay to get from Rosa Parks to Shands?

Lakelander,thanks for the article! and all who contributed.  Thursday (Dec 2nd)...I was looking at the Park View with Binoculars while Refueling at the Shell,..
wondering just what in the Hell they were doing by exposing all the rooms (and Graffiti for all to see)

This clears things up and should be interesting for ALL of us to watch..a Surgical Demolition as we turn onto Main..(or those of us that sneak around back by Claude ;D)
Does anyone on the forum have a time lapse camera so we can see the Demo speeded up? ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:59:59 PM by Ernest Street »

billy

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 08:54:03 PM »
Is there a pharmacy at the Winn Dixie to the east (Union?)

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
This corridor has already been used to support major chains like a Burger King, Winn Dixie, and Shell. I'm not sure a pharmacy is the right anchor for two reasons. First, there's a pharmacy in Springfield already by McDonalds. Second, with the presence of shelters and vagrants in the area I'm not sure a place selling pharmaceuticals would be safe. I can imagine people being hassled at night for their pills, snacks, and drinks.

You wouldn't be good in the commercial real estate world with that kind of vision.  This corner screams Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid.  It has the population(living in DT/Springfield, and more importantly the working population), footprint(albeit smaller than ideal-roughly about 9k sq ft of useable sq ft for a drug store floorplan versus the 13-14k sq ft they typically like for Jacksonville-but definately a workable footprint they have floor plans for in similar urban areas), and MOST importantly the traffic count... especially when broken down by peak time traffic intervals.

A standalone DD wouldnt be the most efficient use of space.  In that respect, a co-branded DD/Krispy Kreme drive thru or more likely an instore-kiosk would fit perfectly in with the gas station going up at Union/Main.

I don't think the Dicks Wings in the beach development above ever opened. And the Beale Street place already closed.

Dicks will be opening... its a slow work in progress.  Considering who owns this particular franchise, that isn't suprising.  Nevertheless work is slowly crawling along for the Dick's space and should be open around St Patricks Day(which typically signals the start of the busy season for restaurants).

Shoot, now my photoshop is crapping out so Im not able to resize and post the pictures I have of Urbana.  

tufsu1

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »
Is there a pharmacy at the Winn Dixie to the east (Union?)

yes

duvaldude08

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
Why does everyone keep saying" I'll believe when I see it in this economy". This is a small scale project that will roll in phases. It is not multi-million construction project. I believe in "this economy" restoration projects are the way to go. It may take longer than normal to secure all the financing, but the few projects we have in the works (including Laura street) will come through.
Jaguars 2.0

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 06:15:26 AM »
My guess is because most announced downtown projects failed to materialize.  Nevertheless, a drive through suburban Jacksonville indicates that fast food/quick serve restaurants and national pharmacies are still building.  If they get that garage up, clean up the site and create a development pad at the corner of Main & State for 16,000 square feet of retail, I believe it will get developed before anything else in downtown, given the high traffic count at that intersection.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 06:41:59 AM »

Park View Inn owners ready to demolish old Jacksonville hotel

By David Bauerlein

The owners of the vacant Park View Inn in downtown Jacksonville plan to start demolition in January and have a parking garage open for business by the middle of 2011.

The fate of the Park View Inn was the topic of a Monday night community meeting hosted by the Springfield Preservation and Revitalization Council.

The council is anxious for demolition crews to appear at the hotel, at the corner of Main and State streets, a gateway into the Springfield neighborhood. It has been empty since 2000.

"There will be lots of cheering when that occurs," said Brenda Boydston, executive director of SPAR.

Robert Van Winkel, one of the owners of the old hotel property, said the group is set to seek demolition bids this week and award a contract in early January. Demolition activity would start later in the month.

full article: http://jacksonville.com/business/2010-12-07/story/park-view-inn-owners-ready-demolish-old-jacksonville-hotel

acme54321

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
I actually kind of like how they have the main Claude Nolan building restored to art deco styling, and the adjoining garage or whatever to its original design.  There isn't much of that around here, and I'm sure it's more cost effective than restoring the original facade to the building.